Top 2 choices - ship's Halifax excursions

DH and I will be in Fairfax Sept. 6 on the Maasdam. I think we have narrowed the ship's excursions to The Best of Halifax - Top Ten Tour OR the Lunenburg & Mahone Bay with Halifax Highlights. Both are 7 of the 9 hours we are there.

This is our first trip to Nova Scotia and we are interested in getting the flavor of the area, seeing the countryside and any "must see" sights. I have already searched through the past posts but would really like some experienced guidance. Thanks in advance.

DH and I will be in Fairfax Sept. 6 on the Maasdam. I think we have narrowed the ship's excursions to The Best of Halifax - Top Ten Tour OR the Lunenburg & Mahone Bay with Halifax Highlights. Both are 7 of the 9 hours we are there.

This is our first trip to Nova Scotia and we are interested in getting the flavor of the area, seeing the countryside and any "must see" sights. I have already searched through the past posts but would really like some experienced guidance. Thanks in advance.

We will be there one week prior to you and this is the one port where we will hire a private driver. We have been to Halifax and already gone to Peggy's Cove, so if I were going to do a ships tour here would do the one to Lunenburg. Note that the reason we aren't is that we want something shorter so we have a little time in Halifax. Lunenburg is one hour each way from Halifax. We are only stopping in Mahone Bay for a photo op.

If you want to see some of the beautiful coastline then I would take the Lunenburg & Mahone Bay excursion with Halifax Highlights. Early Sept. is a beautiful time in the Maritimes. Some pictures of Halifax in the link below. Have a wonderful time.

Kathy:)

For Halifax, there is little need for a tour. Almost everything is in the downtown area. You could take the HarbourHopper (goggle it!) or another tour to get an overall view. The main things most people want to see are Citadel Hill and the Maritime Museum (Titanic artifacts). There is a wonderful walk all along the Harbour with lots to see and do.

You can take a cab (or if in good shape walk) to Citadel Hill which has 19th century fortifications and museums. You will drive around it on the HH tour.

Many people want to see the coastal area with picturesque small villages and towns. The most scenic drive takes you along the south shore to Peggys Cove, Mahone Bay and Lunenburg among others. You would get much more out of this by renting a car and going at your own pace without the obligatory shopping stops and the long waits for others. There are many posts on this board about renting cars. Another possibility is to hire a private driver. If you can get together with others on your roll call, this can be very cost effective.

check out this website: http://visitors.halifax.ca/tours.shtml?getSearch=38

However, if you want either of the two ship's tours mentioned the above information may help you decide.

Being a resident but not a native of Halifax, I think either would be good but would probably go with the Lunenburg/Mahone Bay tour. Both are lovely coastal towns, though, I'd rather the 2 hours in Mahone Bay then Lunenburg but that's just me. And you will get to see some of Halifax on this tour as well.

I much prefer guided tours (whether through the cruiseline or privately arranged) for a few of reasons. First, if you do it on your own, the person driving really misses out on enjoying the tour. Second, it requires more of your time to research routes and sites to see so you're not wasting time getting lost or seeing things that are a disappointment. And finally, You get to learn so much more about the history, people and culture of the place you're visiting through tour commentary. Sure it costs more but I get to kick back and relax while someone else does the driving and the tour companies know from years of experience what I really want to see and do, proabably more then I do.

Both are lovely coastal towns, though, I'd rather the 2 hours in Mahone Bay then Lunenburg but that's just me.

Interesting. The reason we are looking at Lunenburg is because it is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and I always see that one photo of the waterfront. We are planning on doing this in a 5.5 hour tour, so would have approx 1.5 hours in Lunenburg and short stop in Mahone Bay on the way there. What would one do/see in Mahone Bay for 2 hours vs Lunenburg?

Interesting. The reason we are looking at Lunenburg is because it is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and I always see that one photo of the waterfront. We are planning on doing this in a 5.5 hour tour, so would have approx 1.5 hours in Lunenburg and short stop in Mahone Bay on the way there. What would one do/see in Mahone Bay for 2 hours vs Lunenburg?

I don't know, it's a bit smaller, could probably walk the whole town in 2 hours, wander in and out of the shops and galleries. Sit on the waterfront and enjoy an ice cream or a coffee, enjoy the view, people watch. Could probably do that in Lunenberg too I just find Mahone bay more intimate.

Jade, believe this was covered in another post when you were asking about the south shore a while back. Mahone Bay has a main street that runs along the waterfront with small shops and restaurants. As the other poster mentioned, it's definately smaller than Lunenburg.

I think your timeline is about right. 1.5 hours is not a long time in Lunenburg if you want to walk through downtown, see the Lunenburg Academy, Fisherman's Memorial, etc.

OP - another vote for the Lunenburg/Mahone Bay trip.

Lunenburg is much more historic with some interesting architecture along with the Fisheries Museum, etc. The main area is quite small and there are lots of shops and galleries.

Mahone Bay is also pretty, but I would drive through it and go to Lunenburg if I could.

While I live on the west coast, my roots are very deep into Nova Scotia; as much as I enjoy Halifax and its rich history given to choices presented for sure I would that the Lunenburg & Mahone Bay with Halifax Highlights, it is something that you will long remember and want to come back to.

Lunenburg is much more historic with some interesting architecture along with the Fisheries Museum, etc. The main area is quite small and there are lots of shops and galleries.

Mahone Bay is also pretty, but I would drive through it and go to Lunenburg if I could.

Like I said, that's just me, I've been to both towns so when I go back I want to spend more time in Mahone Bay, my husband would likely disagree. However, If you're going to the area for the first and probably only time and are interested in the history, ships and museums, then definitely spend your time in Lunenburg, 1.5 hours might not be enough, so yes, just pass through Mahone Bay.

Archived