Snorkeling gear rent vs buy?

Chadzbrew

While I am sure they do some sort of cleaning of the equipment, are you sure you really would want to put the mouthpiece into your mouth not knowing where it was before you got to use it???

Maybe just rent a mask and flippers and bring your own snorkel and mouthpiece?

While I am sure they do some sort of cleaning of the equipment, are you sure you really would want to put the mouthpiece into your mouth not knowing where it was before you got to use it???

Maybe just rent a mask and flippers and bring your own snorkel and mouthpiece?

I've rented a few times that we've been to the Carribean and it's hit or miss with quality and fittings, aside from the important health concerns.

If you're going to bring your own snorkel, I suggest you bring a mask. They are usually a pair and fitting them together will be easy.

LLBean, whom we swear buy has an excellent snorkel set, inlcuding bag for about $60. Never a quality concern with Bean, but they are kind of heavy to lug around if you're going to be out and about by yourselves.

We'll be on an E.Carib cruise and plan to snorkel in the BVIs and HMC, after the horseback riding:cool: . Still haevn't decided whether to drag the equipment with us.

Also, cheap flippers can really give some nasty blisters.

I bring my own mask and snorkel but not my fins because they're too bulky.

I don't mind using the rental or provided fins. I would mind using a mask, and especially a snorkel, that had been used by others.

As a big fan of snorkling.. I would highly recommend you buy your own gear versus renting. Not only for the health reasons, but to be sure you get a good fit. If you are a casual snorkler - meaning maybe you go once every year or 2, the basic commercial brands like US diver work fine. You can get by with a snorkel and mask. If you can buy them local, do so as you will be able to try them on and get a good fit to avoid leaks. Fins are optional and you can rent them if you want to head out to deeper waters. As far as costs, there is a wide range. Sometimes you can find real inexpensive ones at Target for around $20. However, the plastic these are made with break down from the salt water after 2-3 uses. They are ok as long as you understand their short lifespan. It may be worth to pay just a little more for something that would last if you become addicted to cruising and decide to do this often over the next few years. As far as kits.. there are some good ones out there and even Sam's Club starts selling them in the spring for about $35. If you have a Outdoor World near you they have a variety of them available year round in the aquatics section. Now one more thing - Snorkel Vest. If you are going to take this up as a hobby and plan on going out into deep waters, it isn't a bad idea. They run about $25 on ebay.

I bought my own snorkel and gear many years ago. I paid quite a lot of money for the set and hardly used it. However, on my last cruise, I just about used them at every single port. Now, I can't wait to go on my next cruise and bring my own equipment even though it hogs up almost a whole suitcase.

I have absolutely no regrets buying high quality snorkeling gear and carry the huge bulk everywhere. Why? The photos are priceless! And of course, the gear is more comfortable and no leaks and you'll know the personality of your gear.

My sister in law rented the gear and she thought it was gross and she was lugging around a piece of junk that she ended up not using.

I would buy the mask and snorkel, at least. We own masks, snorkels and fins. I don't pack the fins because the are too bulky. Usually you can rent the fins for under $10. As for the mask, it fits me and I know where the mouthpiece has been on the snorkel. We also got our own snorkel vests at the local dive shop. They are inflatable and a "lovely shade" of neon yellow-green. They dry quickly too. When deflated, they are flat and packable. We take them not only on cruises but when we're at the resorts as well. All the equipment was well worth the money we spent. We originally got all this stuff because we took scuba lessons. Scuba is not for us but we love snorkeling! :)

When you arrive your day early. :) Get to a Florida Walmart- they have an EXCELLENT assortment of snorkle gear - good enough for visitors, I paid less than $20 for a great pair that fits perfectly. NO WAY do I want anything used, the cleaning is just a matter of dipping in dirty water with a little chlorine.

My family and I snorkel at nearly every port, on every cruise we go on. We LOVE to snorkel! With that in mind, it was no question that we would purchase our own gear. I would agree with earlier posts that you need to be careful of purchasing the cheaper gear. My brother and I were always able to get by with a set from Target (about $20) but we always had minor struggles with fit, it seemed like every time a great school of fish was swimming by, I was too busy struggling with my mask to enjoy them. I would definitly recommend investing in the better quality masks. On the subject of flippers- we HATE them. Too bulky, fall off too easiliy if too big, but cut off circulation if too small (think bowling shoes... they never quite fit just right). They do make life easier if you are goign to be heading long distances off-shore or trying deeper waters, but I think they are more hassle then helpful. Finally, I would most definitly suggest getting a vest. At times they can be an annoyance, but on our last cruise, my father and I were so caught up in looking at the fish, that we lost all track of time and distance. We popped our heads up and found that we were VERY far from shore, and suddenly very tired. It was a struggle to get back to shore in one piece and we really could have used vests at that time. I am forcing my parents to invest in them this trip! Have a good time!

Archived