Early Saver vs Fun Select rates

Suzque49

Ok, I really don't quite understand the differences/advantage of booking the "Early Saver" rate vs the "Fun select" rate.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of the "Select" rate over the "Early Saver" rate, if there are any?

Thanks

Susan

"Early Saver" = LOWER cruise fare and allow rate adjustments up to 2 days before sailing date. Also non refundable deposits, $50.00 fee for changes allowed amongst other restrictions easily found on CCL's website.

"Fun Select" = HIGHER FARES, ability to achieve rate adjustments up to final payment date but not after. Refundable Deposit until day before final payment date is due.

Just the basics above.

Also, with early saver you are able to select your cabin choice, with fun select you are assigned it by CCL. The downside to early saver is a non-refundable deposit.

hope this helps

Thats fun SAVER, not fun select lol.

Fun select you do choose your cabin, but it is the most expensive fare.

I am cruising the Triumph on Saturday, when the Early Saver Rate became available many months ago I booked it. The price was pretty good and since then the price went higher and higher. I knew my deposit would be non-refundable, but didn't care because I knew I could transfer it for a nominal fee to a different booking if I needed to cancel and we always seem to have a cruise booked. In the past couple of days I noticed the price dropped dramatically, so yesterday I contacted my TA (I have a great TA who was kind enough to handle this request on a holiday weekend, a Sunday no less,) and she sent in the price protection form, so when I board on Saturday, I should have almost $600 in OBC...not too shabby eh?

Next time I book with Carnival, I will likely take advantage of the Early Saver again... but if you are the type of person who doesn't check prices and know you won't mess with following through on catching the best rate that's available then I wouldn't bother. It worked well for me, but I don't know if it is everyone's cup of tea.

Not really... there are higher fares based on "tariff" rates that you do not see on CCL's website ! LOL

OK, so the rack rate that they always show discount 41% or 75% or whatever ... does anyone ever pay those retail rates??

I am cruising the Triumph on Saturday, when the Early Saver Rate became available many months ago I booked it. The price was pretty good and since then the price went higher and higher. I knew my deposit would be non-refundable, but didn't care because I knew I could transfer it for a nominal fee to a different booking if I needed to cancel and we always seem to have a cruise booked. In the past couple of days I noticed the price dropped dramatically, so yesterday I contacted my TA (I have a great TA who was kind enough to handle this request on a holiday weekend, a Sunday no less,) and she sent in the price protection form, so when I board on Saturday, I should have almost $600 in OBC...not too shabby eh?

Next time I book with Carnival, I will likely take advantage of the Early Saver again... but if you are the type of person who doesn't check prices and know you won't mess with following through on catching the best rate that's available then I wouldn't bother. It worked well for me, but I don't know if it is everyone's cup of tea.

If you book E.S., and get a really good fare- that you can live with- doesn't reallymatter if you don't check fares again, if you don't want to mess with checking prices (for drops)...........personally, I like E.S., and the OBC, I received!:D

I book the early saver way in advance when the rates are so low that they can't get any lower. Plus, I choose the best cabin too.

Recently I changed the date of my Halloween cruise date to Oct. 31st so I could cruise with a singles group. I lost my $50. early saver money but I will be cruising with lots of friends and I got a better cabin and I only paid a few dollars more for my cruise.

The Cat.1-A cabins get sold right away that are located near the elevators. This is why I book early. I call it the Early Bird saver.LOL.

EARLY BIRDS GET THE BEST CABIN LOCATIONS!! But... you must ask for them. Some people let their travel agents choose the cabins not knowing where the cabin is located. You need to learn to ask the minute you pay your deposit.

This info. is for new cruisers.

Not to thread cap or take over the thread, but I've got a question that is somewhat similar to this topic:

I've booked a Fun Saver fare and am about 15 days before the final payment is due. Can I change to the Early Saver rate now or am I locked into Fun Saver?

Not to thread cap or take over the thread, but I've got a question that is somewhat similar to this topic:

I've booked a Fun Saver fare and am about 15 days before the final payment is due. Can I change to the Early Saver rate now or am I locked into Fun Saver?

Im guessing Early Saver rates are now gone?? They dissapear 3 months before on short cruises and 5 months before on 7 days cruises ...if you are just before final payment, Im pretty sure early saver rates are now gone...but I dont know your cruise date, and could be a TA collecting early etc, so I dont want to say 100% sure.

PS you could change if ES rates were still available.

Early saver is no longer available for your cruise so you wouldn't be able to change at this point.

Early saver rates disappear 5 months from sail date on longer cruises and 3 months on shorter cruises. I believe 5 days and shorter.

Bill

• 2 years later...

HI, I am new to cruise critic...first post.

I have just sailed with Carnival Spirit from Sydney Australia. We didnt have all these new fare options. One thing I dont understand is the two category upgrades? What exactly does that mean? When I do a dummy booking, I cant see any obvious upgrade in categories ie an interior cabin is still an interior cabin.

Archived