Livorno car rental

Grandma Gilly

Funny you ask, I was just researching it. Try this site www.sifracar.com . It's the Italian Hertz company, they are right by the dock.

I just emailed them this morning and here are some rates:

We have different type of cars you can chose from:

- Small car (5 seats) € 90,00

- Small automatic car (5 seats) euro 100,00

- Medium compact car (5 seats) or stationwagon € 110,00

- New Peugeot 3008 automatic euro 120,00

- Convertible Peugeot 207 (3-4 seats) € 120,00

- New Peugeot 5008 (5+2 seats) € 140.00

- Minivan (7 seats) € 160,00

- Minibus (9 seats) € 180,00

Question I asked them: Does your GPS units warn about approaching areas of 'zona traffico limitata'?? I read that the City of Florence mails A LOT of tickets for this violation.

Their response

We do have GPS that warn people about the restricted areas but I would say that as long as you follow our advices you won't have any problem.

Lots of people get tickets because despite we suggest to park at the train station, lots of times the do as the like and get tickets.

The price includes unlimited mileage,basic insurances,taxes,delivery and

drop off just right in front of the cruiseship.

If you want to reserve a car or if you need any extra info I'll be here.

END

They seemed nice and I'm debating on busing to the station and then take trains or just get a rental at the dock. The risk, gas prices, parking, etc...it's a toss up for me since it's only me and my wife.

NOTE: Driving and parking can be costly since somewhere I read places like Florence issue thousand of tickets from restricted vechile areas. Here's some other info about parking.

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/driving/parking_florence.htm

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/driving/parking.htm

Good luck

Hi. Can anyone recommend a car rental company that either have an office at Livorno port or will deliver a car there? Many thanks

We used Avis. They are at the port. I also saw a Hertz office in the same building. We prebooked the rental online.

The Avis rep set up outside the ship. of it is a short 5 minute walk to the office.

My husband reserved a car through his Hertz #1 Gold account. It lists the office as being at Calata Carrara, Livorno, 57100. Will we be able to get to the car quickly? I can't find a map of the port that shows where the cruise ships dock. We are on the Windstar Wind Surf. I'm wondering if I should just book through sifracar instead, although I think they charge more. We don't have much time, though.

My husband reserved a car through his Hertz #1 Gold account. It lists the office as being at Calata Carrara, Livorno, 57100. Will we be able to get to the car quickly.

Calata Carrara is just outside the entrance to the port. The problem, however, is that ships in port just for the day could be berthed anywhere in this huge industrial port, so it's impossible to know how far your ship will be from the port entrance. Also, passengers are not allowed to walk through the port (although some posters here have done so). One option might be to pay for the shuttle bus into town, but ask the driver to drop you off just outside the port gates.

http://www.portolivorno2000.it/en-mnu-cruise-passengers.html

Is the website for the port.

When our ship docked we were a 5 minute walk from the building that housed the Avis and the Hertz rental car counters and it was not outside the port, it was inside the port.

Also, there was a clearly marked (painted) path from the building to where the ships where docked.

The rental car agent set up a desk on the pier, we met him and he drove us (30 second drive) to the building with their office. When we dropped the car off later that day, we told the agent that we would walk to the ship, and he said just follow the path.

I understand that some ships dock further away, but this was our experience

Thanks for your response. I did contact Sifracar and they said they would bring the car to the ship for 15 Euro extra. I didn't want to take chances, so I went ahead and added it to the rental. It was still cheaper to book through Hertz and then add on the delivery charge.

Archived