What is to replace Explorer in NJ?

Awesome info I guess we are getting at a Freedom class ship coming here in the near future. I can't wait myself. The bigger the better when it comes to ships for me. JC

Well, if 2014 could be considered the "near future" then I guess you're right. :)

I asked the current Captain of Explorer that exact question and he said what the previous Captain (Captain Ryan) said about Cape Liberty needing to be dredged incorrect. We sailed on Liberty of the Seas out of Cape Liberty in May of 2007 on one of the pre inaugurals so I'm leaning towards believing the current Captain.

Not only was the port capable of a freedom class ship docking already but they were planning to make her capable of holding two freedom class ships at once in case they situation would ever arise. When we were there in September they had a dredger working on the channel most likely to make it passable farther down.

100_2421.JPG

Not only was the port capable of a freedom class ship docking already but they were planning to make her capable of holding two freedom class ships at once in case they situation would ever arise. When we were there in September they had a dredger working on the channel most likely to make it passable farther down.

I've heard there is still a possibility (rumor) of getting a second Royal Caribbean ship (besides Explorer) sailing from Cape Liberty in the future. Maybe a Vision Class.

We were excited to here Celebrity plans on bringing the new Silhouette to NJ in 2011. Looking forward to trying Solstice Class.

You should have flown from Philadelphia or Atlantic City when going to Ft. Lauderdale, never pay more then $250 per person.

Jimbo:)

I fly out of AC all the time and I will not being doing it on our next cruise as they are over $500 a person to fly spirit.

The airlines know when the schools are on break and they jack up the prices, as do the cruise ships and hotels...they aren't stupid...

In St Martin, compare the Liberty and Explorer, same height.

2163609600096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

The Mariner failed on the West Coast because of low fares needed to fill the ship and poor on-board spending. There are very few itineraries available sailing out of LA unlike the East Coast where the Explorer alone does a half-dozen different trips every year.

We are doing the Solstice next week and if we like it, would love to do the Silhouette (sp??) out of NJ in 2011, especially since she will be 100 ft. longer then the first 3 Solstice ships. Bigger is better !!

Along that vein, we did a TA in Nov 2008 on the Indy from London to Ft. Laud., followed up by the holiday sailing on the Explorer in Dec 2008. Going from the longer ship to the smaller ship (how often do you see a Voyager class referred to as "smaller") you could see the difference.

The promenade seemed too short.

The Promenade bridge didn't move.

Everybody was clustered around Cafe P. on the EX wherein the Freedom class breaks it up into 3 stores at either end of the Promenade plus the middle for B & J.

The extra space on the pool deck, from H2O to the longer main pools to the larger Solarium.

The Flowrider.

etc.

You really see the difference when going from a sea day-intensive cruise on the big ship to a sea day - intensive cruise on the smaller ship. Everything seemed just a bit too small and cramped on the Explorer after all that time on the Indy.

Nobody designs big ships as well as RC.

And the Solstice ships have a permanent dome over the pool. !!

And they are the same height as the Explorer and Freedom classes.

At St. Kitts

2466590460096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

Last February - cost me $1800 to fly from NY to Ft. Laurderdale. Cheapest possible flight booked 6 months in advance.

Was treated in like an animal.

Now this was February break (I'm a teacher and have no other time off)

So until I retire - June of 2041 there will be no more flying for me!

No other time off????? Dont you have June July and August????

nice pic booper!

i am toying with trying the silhouette too......we will see....it isn't exactly a wonderful deal :eek::rolleyes: BUT it is brand new.....sooooooooo:p

After you friended me I checked out your albums on "F". Nice shots.

How's Mom?

The Silhouette looks absolutely beautiful. Wow what a nice picture and it looks beautiful. That is tempting. When is the Maiden voyage from NJ? Maybe we'll shoot for that cruise as well. I always wanted to go on a maiden voyage. Is it a good idea or let the kinks out after the first few trips? Thanks JC

I always prefer to let others work the kinks out of a new ship. But if you want the thrill of being the first to use the cabin, be prepared to be flexible if the ship is not quite ready for sailing with revenue customers.

I would guess the first few sailings of the Silhouette out of NJ are already fully booked.

I seem to be in the minority but although I love the Voyager class I'm a bit tired of the Explorer (and the Generation 1 Voyager Class ships in general ) after 4 combined weeks on VY/EX out of Bayonne (2 5-days and 2 9-days).

...but I hate flying too. Ugh. Nice problem to have though, definitely better to have the option out of Bayonne than to not have it. Assuming it's feasible, I'll probably fly for my next one though. Really hope a Freedom Class ship somehow comes before 2014 but I realize that's unlikely. RC doesn't seem interested in giving us in Bayonne ships any younger than 8 years old :p

I seem to be in the minority but although I love the Voyager class I'm a bit tired of the Explorer (and the Generation 1 Voyager Class ships in general ) after 4 combined weeks on VY/EX out of Bayonne (2 5-days and 2 9-days).

...but I hate flying too. Ugh. Nice problem to have though, definitely better to have the option out of Bayonne than to not have it. Assuming it's feasible, I'll probably fly for my next one though. Really hope a Freedom Class ship somehow comes before 2014 but I realize that's unlikely. RC doesn't seem interested in giving us in Bayonne ships any younger than 8 years old :p

I've been on Explorer twice but already that's enough for me. I don't hate flying but I just would rather not. Is there any reason RC couldn't just rotate the ships every, let's say 2 or 3 years? They would most definitely have my money each year if I could easily get to a ship I had not sailed. I'm doing B'more in July and I would even drive to Boston if Jewel didnt only sail Canada/New England.

Archived