Oil spill impact on fall/winter cruises

sbb

With the amount of oil spilling into the gulf daily, I am wondering if it will impact the Caribbean islands ports and the cruise itineraries in general. I would like to make plans for a January cruise but am hesitant as to what will happen in the upcoming months with the hurricane season approaching. Is anyone else having these reservations and holding off making vacation plans?

With the amount of oil spilling into the gulf daily, I am wondering if it will impact the Caribbean islands ports and the cruise itineraries in general. I would like to make plans for a January cruise but am hesitant as to what will happen in the upcoming months with the hurricane season approaching. Is anyone else having these reservations and holding off making vacation plans?

Even if you are planning on flying into New Orleans, Mobile or Florida and leaving from there I think you can still make plans for your January cruise. January is six months away and we (I live in South Louisiana) should know within a few months whether or not the oil spill will affect any cruise lines coming into or leaving from any of these ports. If I were you I would travel insurance that will cover any costs if I would have to cancel the last minute due to this oil spillage.

Of course it's too early to tell, but the news is reporting down here (Mobile) that shipping will continue. They are working on plans to clean the ships as they come into Mobile Bay. As far as south Florida and beyond are concerned, no one knows where the oil will end up going. If it gets caught in the loop current, it could end up all along the east coast.

Archived