Bears in July or August - Anan or Pack Creek?

oliverweagle

We have a couple of dates in mind for a 7 day Alaska cruise and have read with much interest about Anan Creek. the first cruise would get into Ketchikan on the 15th of July, the second on the 5th of August. Would one date be better than the other for Anan?

The second cruise gets into Juneau on the 3rd of August - would Pack Creek be a better choice on this date?

My son REALLY wants to see bears and salmon!

Thank you,

Ollie

You have to have a permit to visit Anan Creek. Telephone the tour operators to find out if there are any permits available. Before you book your cruise.

Most people plan this sort of thing far, far in advance.

pack creek will also require a permit.

pack creek

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/admiralty/packcreek/index.shtml

anan

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/recreation/wildlife_viewing/ananobservatory.shtml

guides / transporters are allowed a limited number of permits. but there are also permits available to individuals. if the transporter is out of permitted visits, you may get an individual (if available) permit and then hire a transporter.

• 4 months later...

We already have contacted a tour operator and are going to Anan the week of August 12th. I saw a lot of posts where people have gone in August and always saw a lot of bears and the Anan web site says bear viewings go thru August. :)

We already have contacted a tour operator and are going to Anan the week of August 12th. I saw a lot of posts where people have gone in August and always saw a lot of bears and the Anan web site says bear viewings go thru August. :)

This date is coming to the end of Anan. Peak is end of July. I've gone third week of August- twice, and Anan was canceled by me, both times, due to unpredictable sightings, few sightings. The operator gave me the option to cancel, which I did, as I do NOT ever go on this type of tour, outside of peak viewing.

We have a couple of dates in mind for a 7 day Alaska cruise and have read with much interest about Anan Creek. the first cruise would get into Ketchikan on the 15th of July, the second on the 5th of August. Would one date be better than the other for Anan?

The second cruise gets into Juneau on the 3rd of August - would Pack Creek be a better choice on this date?

My son REALLY wants to see bears and salmon!

Thank you,

Ollie

I would make your decision on what type of bear you want to see?? Although browns can be seen at Anan, my particular trip, did not, and is noted for blacks. Pack Creek is all browns.

We went to Anan with Family Air in July 2010 and saw lots of bears!!!!!!!!

We saw mainly black bears and one large brown one who was oddly timid around the black bears. Well worth the money - will never forget being so close to the bears.

Archived