Help Carnival Called and Wants us to Switch Ships

Luvsparties

We are set to sail on the Valor, this Sunday. We have a category 8D booked. Carnival called my husband this morning and wants us to switch to the Libert leaving this Saturday and they would upgrade us to a suite. We are driving down from Indiana (plannign to leave 3:00 a.m. Friday morning with a stopover in Savannah), so technically we could make it....but the itinerary is slightly different: one more sea day and Ocho Rios instead of Belize and Roatan.

We were excited at first, but I'm not so sure now. I had all my spa appointments and excursions booked and paid for -- which they would fully refund, but then its too late to book anything online for the Liberty -- I would have to wait until we were on board.

Any suggestions?????

Now this has to be the oddest thing I've heard of Carnival doing to someone. What type of suite are they giving you? I just had a cat 11 on the Dream and wasn't impressed enough to ever get excited over having one again. It had more strorage and a bigger bathroom but otherwise felt like any other cabin. If they needed my cabin badly enough I'd ask for a nice chunk of OBC to make it worth my while esp since you have everything booked (spa, excursions etc).

Oops I see you didn't have to chose after all ;) I think you got the better end of the deal anyhow :)

The only time I have ever heard of people being bumped from a cruise is when they did cruises from Baltimore a few years back.

They way overbooked the ship and couldn't get enough takers to cancel.

In most every instance they will make deals better and better until they get enough people to jump ship.

Bill

No way would I switch Roatan and Belize for Jamaica - definitely not a fair trade!!! (and in my case I would have been active on my roll call and would be looking forward to meeting everyone on the RIGHT ship!) I also do lots of research re independent/recommended tours so would probably have 'reserved' something in the ports I was expecting to visit - would not want that last minute rush to try and find something else to do?

I suppose you can 'refuse' the switch (and they will probably offer it to someone else?)

I agree with you. I like Jamaica, but I wouldn't want to switch out that port for Roatan AND Belize for anything. Ask them if they can find someone else to take the deal. A suite doesn't mean anything to me! We always cruise in inside cabins as the itinerary is the most important thing to us. However, if this can't be done and you have to swtich....go for it! Because IMHO, any cruise is better than no cruise! And if you have to switch, try your best to get over any disappointment before you go and take a good attitude with you so you can have what I wish for you....An awesome time nor matter where you sail!!:D:D:D

Wow, this is something I have not heard of yet. I would find out exactly why they want to make this switch and just how bad they want this to happen. Based on their answer I would get them to sweeten the deal even more. See if the owners suite is an option. Ya right. Good luck and enjoy.

The owner's suite does not exist on the Valor.

Only on 6 of the Fantasy class ships.

I would think if you booked early and have a cabin assignment not a gty, that you can't get bumped. The late bookings should get bumped. Just my opinion.

You may be right. I'm sure Carnival has a protocol in place and I would think your train of thought would be logical. I don't think the poster stated when their booking took place or whether or not their cabin was a gty or not. My concern is not everything Carnival does seems to be based on logic!

Nevertheless, they didn't have to make the decision so no harm, no foul!

We did Panama Canal on Holland America. They called us to downgrade from a ocean view to a partially obstructed ocean view and gave us $700 OBC. We took it! That money paid for a lot of shore excursions on an 18 day cruise.

Archived