Help Carnival Called and Wants us to Switch Ships

Luvsparties

We are set to sail on the Valor, this Sunday. We have a category 8D booked. Carnival called my husband this morning and wants us to switch to the Libert leaving this Saturday and they would upgrade us to a suite. We are driving down from Indiana (plannign to leave 3:00 a.m. Friday morning with a stopover in Savannah), so technically we could make it....but the itinerary is slightly different: one more sea day and Ocho Rios instead of Belize and Roatan.

We were excited at first, but I'm not so sure now. I had all my spa appointments and excursions booked and paid for -- which they would fully refund, but then its too late to book anything online for the Liberty -- I would have to wait until we were on board.

Any suggestions?????

We are set to sail on the Valor, this Sunday. We have a category 8D booked. Carnival called my husband this morning and wants us to switch to the Libert leaving this Saturday and they would upgrade us to a suite. We are driving down from Indiana (plannign to leave 3:00 a.m. Friday morning with a stopover in Savannah), so technically we could make it....but the itinerary is slightly different: one more sea day and Ocho Rios instead of Belize and Roatan.

We were excited at first, but I'm not so sure now. I had all my spa appointments and excursions booked and paid for -- which they would fully refund, but then its too late to book anything online for the Liberty -- I would have to wait until we were on board.

Any suggestions?????

Wow, this is something I have not heard of yet. I would find out exactly why they want to make this switch and just how bad they want this to happen. Based on their answer I would get them to sweeten the deal even more. See if the owners suite is an option. Ya right. Good luck and enjoy.

Sounds to me like they overbooked. Its happened, but you hear it more on Princess than on Carnival.

Would you enjoy a suite? Sounds to me like you have a really good cabin already booked.

They usually call locals in Florida who are driving in, not someone driving in from so far out. I agree, this is unusual they would call you. Maybe they are just going down the list until they get enough takers.

Sorry, in my haste to post I left out some details.....They told my husband the ship is overbooked. I have never heard of that??

The suite sounds nice, but I'm not very fond of Jamaica.

Thanks for the input!

I'd be asking for some OBC in addition, since its an extra day.

This sort of thing probably happens more than you think. Cruise lines will continue to sweeten the deal until they find enough folks willing to move over. I've heard of other lines not only upgrading to much better staterooms on the 'new' cruise, but even giving generous credits for a future cruise. It all depends on how much space they need to make.

I have not heard of this either. Maybe does not happen too often. I wonder out of all the people did they pick you? Maybe you can negotiate with them (see how bad they want you to switch). Ask for $500 in OBC, a suite, and free day at the spa!

No way would I switch Roatan and Belize for Jamaica - definitely not a fair trade!!! (and in my case I would have been active on my roll call and would be looking forward to meeting everyone on the RIGHT ship!) I also do lots of research re independent/recommended tours so would probably have 'reserved' something in the ports I was expecting to visit - would not want that last minute rush to try and find something else to do?

I suppose you can 'refuse' the switch (and they will probably offer it to someone else?)

Any suggestions?????

I loved the Liberty. I would jump on it. Spa Appointments, you always get a better deal on the ship. I have yet to pay full price for a treatment. I would make sure to tell them to gurantee your excursions although most of them will not be sold out. Good Luck with your decision.

I cruise for the ports and always try to have as little sea days as possible. We have been to all 3 ports, and no I would not give up Belize or Roatan for Jamaica. We were up graded to a suite on the Glory, nice extra room and tub, but not good enough for me to switch.

The ships are similar, I would probably give the edge to Liberty, and the suites are very nice. I would call back and be difficult and try to score some OBC. If they did that I would take it for sure, as long as it doesn't interfear with the rest of your travel plans......

After reading the posts, I see where there has been a varied discussion of ideas from taking the suite to taking the suite and asking for a sweeter deal; i.e. OBC, owners suite, free spa day, etc. back to keeping what you've got.

What I have not seen is if the ship is truly overbooked, like airlines, someone is going to get bumped if they don't have any takers on switching ships and taking the upgrades offered.

My first train of thought after reading the posts was before I ask for the farm and get greedy, I may be setting myself up to get bumped. I don't know what Carnival's policy is on bumping, but it is a risk you take by staying with what you've got.

Just my thoughts :)

Liberty is a great ship, but I agree with others that the port switch is not a good deal at all. If they are willing to throw in several Ben Franklins' worth of OBC I might consider it.

Just what I was going to say... The itinerary isn't nearly as good. Some serious $$$ OBC might make up for it, though.

After reading the posts, I see where there has been a varied discussion of ideas from taking the suite to taking the suite and asking for a sweeter deal; i.e. OBC, owners suite, free spa day, etc. back to keeping what you've got.

What I have not seen is if the ship is truly overbooked, like airlines, someone is going to get bumped if they don't have any takers on switching ships and taking the upgrades offered.

My first train of thought after reading the posts was before I ask for the farm and get greedy, I may be setting myself up to get bumped. I don't know what Carnival's policy is on bumping, but it is a risk you take by staying with what you've got.

Just my thoughts :)

I would think if you booked early and have a cabin assignment not a gty, that you can't get bumped. The late bookings should get bumped. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the help everyone. By the time my husband called back someone else had taken it, so we are saved from making the decision. I appreciate all the help. You guys are great!

I honestly think that is the best call. I wouldn't trade Roatan for Jamaica! Roatan is one of my favorite ports of call! It's why we have been on that cruise several times. :)

Archived