Comments requested for stop at Nauplion

pier

One of the stops on our cruise will be Nauplion. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has been there on whether they took the ship's excursions or did it on their own. Also, what are the possibilities of hiring a taxi to take us around the island?

One of the stops on our cruise will be Nauplion. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has been there on whether they took the ship's excursions or did it on their own. Also, what are the possibilities of hiring a taxi to take us around the island?

Hello pier,

We visited Naupilon last fall while on Azamara Quest's Ancient Empire cruise, and for us, it was the highlight of the trip. This lovely Greek town is a pleasure to stroll through -- the cobblestone streets, unique shops, wide selection of wonderful restaurants, many on the waterfront. Beautiful churches and buildings with cascading flowers are begging to be photographed. Unless you have mobility problems, this is a very walkable town with much to see. Be sure to visit Syntagma Square; stop for lunch at one of the many outdoor cafes and just people watch. Have your camera ready, and you won't regret it. Hope this helps. Have a great time! :)

We went about a month ago. It was indeed a good town to stroll around in. We took the ships tour to Mycenae and there was plenty of time after to stroll the streets and have lunch. I suggest getting off the main drag for some better cafes/taverna's to eat in. Not sure which Island you are refering to...but everything in Nauplion is doable by foot. Have fun!

Lovely town! Rick Steves book on Athens and the Peloponnese has an annotated walking tour. If you go to the Ports of Call section under Greece and do a search you will find more information.

If you are an ancient history buff you would want to consider renting a car and going to Mycenae and Epidaurus (my spelling may be wrong).

We are on the July 2 Quest and will be in Nauplion on Sunday the 4th. I had originally planned to go to Mycenae, either by bus or taxi but have recently read in Frommer's that "Tiryns is a good deal better preserved...and a more pleasant visit...than Mycenae." In addititon, it is only 3 miles away thus spending less time and money to get to. Has anyone been there and if so what are your impressions?

There are a number of nice options to do from this port stop. Below are some visual samples for these options. What are your interests to see in this area? Do you just want to hang out in the nice town with its shops in the market area, eating lunch overlooking the water? Versus some of the great, if you like history, nearby places in the area as shown below? Ship tours are not perfect, but they can get you where you need to go. What are you seeking and desiring? Private tours are possible, but there is some distance involved if you try to do it "ALL". How long is your port stop there?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

These Mycene ruins go back 2700 years from a spectacular empire:

MyceneRuins.jpg

Example of Mycene gold in the museum at this historic site:

MyceneGold.jpg

Looking down upon Nafplion from the historic fortress that overlooks the town and its harbor:

Nap.jpg

In Nafplion, there is this view of the small fort out in the harbor and the main town:

NapIslandFort.jpg

Epidaurus is the famed outdoor theater with super great acoustics:

GreekOutThTwo.jpg

Gr.jpg

To us, Nafplion was the gateway to Mycenae and the other ancient sites of the Northern Peleponnesse. If that is the way your interests lie, I would recommend you take a tour, either from the ship or from a private operator. Frankly, after many cruises, we pretty well do NOT like the option of just grabbing a taxi at the dock. It has led us to trouble more often than it has resulted in a good tour.

We chose to book with Greek Taxi, and Nick gave us a wonderful tour of the ancient sites. Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/blacksea.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Archived