Which Cruise is best for families

D-Roc

I am pretty sure this has been asked on here, but I can not find the answer. I know this will be more of a personal opinion as well from different perspectives, but that is what I need.

My family of three (one child) are saving up for a cruise next year. This will be a huge deal for us as other than Disney World, our vacations consist of camping (which we love btw).

We are considering a Disney cruise, but I am not sure if I want to be bombarded with Disney characters and themes. I would like a nice mix of adult and family and kids only activities. Of course the kids activities have to able too be interesting and fun. Possibly different/unique as I am sure that would be the activities on a Disney cruise.

We are not worried about ports of call at this moment. Just concerned about if the activities for our daughter (will be 8 when we cruise) will keep her entertained and there are enough family activities that we can do together such as mini golf which I saw is on the Oasis of the Seas.

What line do you suggest and why? I would live to hear from other small or a little larger families than ours and their suggestions.

RCI's Radiance class ships also have mini-golf, climbing walls, and self-leveling pool tables.

I would figure out where we wanted to go first and then see which cruise lines go there.

Check out the different cruise lines web sites for info on itineraries and the ships.

For an 8 year old most of the main stream lines (Royal, Carnival, Disney) will be great it's all about what your willing to pay...Disney is the most expensive but if I had an 8 year old girl I think it would be a once in a lifetime experience. Royal is midline...lots of stuff to do for kids. Then Carnival is usually the cheapest, still lots for kids (mini golf/kids club) to do but no rock wall or ice rink...but I have heard that they're starting to put in Lazer tag on some of the ships.

A Disney cruise will be very special. They are great for not only kids but for adults. No different than their land parks where they are good for adults, kids, and families.

I agree with janabm81 that at age 8 a cruise with Disney will be very special. There will come a time when the child gets to a certain age where Disney won't be optimal.

Disney will cost much more than some of the other cruise lines but it will be quite special.

With that said, children will enjoy many of the cruise lines as long as there are activities for them and some children on board. RCI would work nice and their ships have a lot to keep the children busy. Many of the Princess ships work well and they have very strong children's programs.

Keith

Disney won't "bombard" you with charaters....and NO ONE entertains like Disney...however, you will pay dearly to sail on that line..they're expensive! Really, any of the mass-market lines will be fine....plenty to do, great service, ok food....

There's nothing like a 1st cruise, so whatever you choose, you'll have a vacation you'll never forget!

I have taken my grandchildren on Disney, Royal Caribbean, and Carnival. I did feel bombarded with the whole Disney thing and besides it is expensive. I would say RC or Carnival and the kids actually preferred these anyway.

I think any of the mass-market cruise lines would be fine. (Not the expensive, geared-to-seniors lines). It more depends on when you are intending to go.

Head out in summer, holiday, or spring break time, and there will be lots of other kids, and very active kid's programs. If you pull your daughter from school to travel at a less-busy time, there is a chance there won't be many other kids, and not a very robust children's program.

Disney is expensive, but I hear their fireworks shows are wonderful.

We plan on going next summer 2011 as we need to save up for it. It sounds more and more like we are not going to go with Disney. My daughter saw an episode of Mighty Ships with the Oasis. She was sold on that ship huge.lol

Keep the comments coming.

I would recommend doing research specifically on the kids programs on these ships if it's important for you to be able to have some adult time. I say this because I was sorely disappointed with Carnival Splendor when I sailed last October.

I have a 10 year old girl, and I might be considered over protective or overbearing, but I was not comfortable with my daughter wandering around a ship with a couple thousand other people that I don't know with only one other child to keep her safe (buddy system). Many of the kids activities require the kids to be roaming about the ship (scavenger hunts, ice cream outings etc)- without supervision. On your first day when you are going to the kid club orientation they tell you that you have to sign a waiver allowing your child to check themselves in and out on their own to be able to participate in some activities. If you don't sign the waiver for your kids to be allowed to check themselves in and out, your kids will be one of only a very few sitting (no others in the case of my daughter) in the kids club room while the other kids do scavenger hunts and other items. Maybe you are ok with your child being allowed to roam around when you are on board - but what about when you are not on the ship and want to do an adult excursion? While I was on the ship I was standing behind a couple whose 13 & 14 year old boys had made their way to a tender while we were in Cabo and went into town and got drunk. The parents had planned an adult only excursion for the day and assumed that if they were not on the ship that they boys were being supervised and would be safe. Apparently not so. Luckily these boys were older and while drinking is not something that we want our kids to go do in Mexico - I guess all is well that they were not hurt or worse. What worried me was imagining how easily a younger child who is adventurous might make their way to the tenders and follow some people out and into Mexico on their own? Carnival does not scan your S&S card on your way out and no one is checking to make sure the child walking with you is yours...... I don't know - it's a very slim possibility of happening - but I didn't feel comfortable with the risk....

Finally, I felt like there were not enough activities for the kids other than video games and watching tv. My child is not one to watch a lot of tv and we don't own any gaming consoles. In the end it wasn't the end of my world - I spent most of my days hanging by the pool with her and she loved the formal night getting all dressed up and going to dinner with us - so she didn't have much desire to be in the kids club all the much.

Some of the better things I could say about Carnival's program - they did have one night where the kids got to go to a late night party - and my daughter had an absolute blast that night. She said she also really enjoyed the parade they did (we went during Halloween). The unlimited ice cream didn't hurt anything either. Overall, I am not saying that Carnival bad for families - cause I really enjoyed it and so did my daughter - but I just wish I had known a little more about their program before choosing that particular line - because I think I might have chose Disney instead with it's much more robust program and MANY more items for the kids to do. I think this is something as a first time cruiser that people might not be considered.

Anyways - just my own opinion. Hope it helps and no matter what - you will have fun cruising.

One other thing I might mention - if you are really interested in Disney cruises -they have a vacation dvd that you can order. I would check it out. I watched a show on the travel channel for disney cruiselines and I am sold. I am planning mine for next year with my sister and her daughter...

Glad the info helped. I didn't want to be completely negative - but I really wanted to tell people things I wished people had told me.

Have fun researching!!

hello,

My late wife and I went on 28 cruises, the last of which was on the Radiance of the Seas to Mexico about 2 months before she passed away in May of 2010.

We took our two children on a cruise when our daughter was 11 and our son was 6. They are now in their 20s and 30s.

I have not been on a Disney cruise but surely I admire Disney and all the fun produced by that company.

If money is a major concern, I would look at Royal Caribbean and Princess as these two lines really have something for everyone in the family especially the newer ships such as the Freedom of the Seas or the Emerald Princess The prices are very competitive.

Remember a cruise is about much more than cartoon characters, as attractive and fun as these wonderful characters are. It is more about the family being together, something as simple as a late afternoon swim, a nice breakfast together in the dining room or enjoyng formal nights with the kids spiffed up.

if you are a disney fan then a disney cruise would probably be ideal but it will be quite a bit more expensive than some of the other lines...others have mentioned the Radiance class ships...the area for kids was rather large on Radiance of the Seas and RC seems to have put together a good kids camp

My family has cruised almost all of the cruise lines with 20+ under our belts. We have always felt the kids programs on RCCL and NCL were quite good. Disney is the best for younger kids, but RCCL and NCL cater better to all ages. Carnival is more of a party boat with teens and early 20's dominating the ship. We went on a Carnival this past Spring Break and we liked the cruise, but we definelty felt the boat was a more party crowd. RCCL and NCL offer a better cruise experience for the adults along with nice kids programs. RCCL is proabably has the most consistant kids programs both on US and International cruises.

Reference Site:

www.***************.com

My family has cruised almost all of the cruise lines with 20+ under our belts. We have always felt the kids programs on RCCL and NCL were quite good. Disney is the best for younger kids, but RCCL and NCL cater better to all ages. Carnival is more of a party boat with teens and early 20's dominating the ship. We went on a Carnival this past Spring Break and we liked the cruise, but we definelty felt the boat was a more party crowd. RCCL and NCL offer a better cruise experience for the adults along with nice kids programs. RCCL is proabably has the most consistant kids programs both on US and International cruises.

Reference Site:

www.*****

Archived