Amsterdam Restaurants

I am going to be in Amsterdam overnight on a cruise. I was thinking of doing an off-ship splurge dinner. It would be nice if it was a typically Dutch restaurant - whatever that means.

Any restaurant suggestions would be appreciated.

DON

I am going to be in Amsterdam overnight on a cruise. I was thinking of doing an off-ship splurge dinner. It would be nice if it was a typically Dutch restaurant - whatever that means.

Any restaurant suggestions would be appreciated.

DON

Typically dutch is nowadays more or less international.

But on Damrak you will find Hotel restaurant De Roode Leeuw (The red Lion), more or less opposite the big Bijenkorf store, close to Dam square. This place indeed still serves some dutch meals, like hutspot (kind of carrot/union stew), andijvie (type of endivies with meatballs, but also combination of these and other dishes.

Also some nice fish-dishes, if available try the dutch eel.

If you ever sailed with HAL you might have eaten "Bitterballen", small fried balls filled with a meatstew. Those are great at Roode leeuw.

http://www.hotelamsterdam.nl/dining-en.html

On the other hand almost dutch is an indonesian rijsttafel, sinced Indonesia was once a dutch colony. Your table will be filled with small dishes and a wide selection of food. A nice place for this is Indrapoura on Rembrandtsplein as well as Sama Sebo - close to Rijksmuseum.

http://www.indrapura.nl/

http://www.diningcity.nl/samasebo/en/

If possible make reservation by phoning in advance.

Enjoy.

DH and I both worked in 5 star hotels in Amsterdam for a long time, where there obviously was a lot of demand for good Dutch restaurant suggestions, so I will be able to give you a couple very good ones that are mostly near to each other, not too far away from ship/Dam square/sights:

-d' Vijff Vlieghen on Spuistraat, near Spui

-Haesje Claes with two entrances on Spuistraat and Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal, near Spui

-De Silveren Spiegel on Kattengat, sidestreet from Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal, near Central Station next door to Marriott Renaissance

-Brasserie De Poort, in the hotel Die Port van Cleve on Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal near Dam Square (stylish but slightly more modern interior than the other 3)

-The New Dorrius on Nieuwendijk, on the corner with Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal and Martelaarsgracht, near Central Station, in the same building as the Crowne Plaza Hotel. Contrary to the other ones, it has a very modern designy interior and is not in a historical building.

At all these restaurants, reservations are highly recommended.

An Indonesian ricetable is a good suggestion too, as that has much to do with Hollands past as well. I would also recommend Indrapura. Another good Indonesian restaurant near the Rembrandtplein is Tempo Doloe in the side street. Make sure you reserve, these two places are booked up weeks ahead.

Personally we have found and hear from others that the Red Lion has gone downhill in the past years. I personally think the Vijff Vlieghen and the other Dutch restaurants are in a different league, and not necessarily much more expensive.

A maybe somewhat strange idea that I have heared about, but personally do not have any experience with whatsoever, is "Dine with the Dutch". You eat at somebody's home with their family. The organisation makes a match with the host family based on age, background, etc. The address can be outside the centre, it can involve a tram or taxi ride.

It sometimes is difficult to advise restaurants as there can be a big difference between one day and another...

Recently I had a good meal with american friends in de Roode leeuw and it was very nice, with good service.

Last summer Haesje Claes on the other hand was kind of disappointing...

Pricewise I think de vijf vlieghen will be the most expensive.

Archived