1st. Time On Celebrity-Questions??

Peery5

We have booked the Celebrity Equinox for 11 day southern Caribbean in January, 2011. We will be in a C3 Concierge Class cabin. All of the handicap access cabins are already booked. I am disabled and usually take my mobility scooter on our cruises. The Celebrity Special Needs department told me that even though we would not be in a handicap cabin, I should have no problem getting my scooter into the cabin. My questions are this:

1. Even if I can get my scooter into the cabin, is the cabin still large enough to move around in comfortably?

2. Should I consider taking my folding wheelchair instead or is the ship so large that I would wear my arms out just getting from one place to another?

3. The ports of call are; Cozumel, Roatan, Puerto Limon, Colon, Cartagena, and Grand Cayman [the only tendered port]. Are there any shops or shopping areas just off the cruise ship at any of these ports or do you have to use a taxi or schedule a tour just to see anything. In other words, would my scooter be more of a hindrance than an asset? I can walk very short distances but have to rest frequently.

Have any of you been on this specific cruise that could offer an insight as to what to expect? I thought I would post here first before I went to the disabled boards.

Thanks for any information that you can provide.

We did a 10 night cruise aboard Horizon back in 2005 which called on Grand Cayman (ship skipped this port on our cruise), Puerto Limon, Roatan, Colon, and Cozumel. Of the ones we visited, my recollection was that there were shops right at the port in Cozumel. I also believe this to be true for Colon. Puerto Limon and Roatan ports were not very developed and there was nothing to speak of near the pier. Here is a link to a photo gallery consisting of pictures that I took on that cruise. There is a photo of the pier area at each stop.

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=2343

If you are planning on taking the air conditioned domed car train excursion at the Panama Canal (Colon), be sure to book that early (i.e. in advance before you sail) because there is only one train for the day and it sold out fast.

Sometimes you'll be told that all the accessible cabins are sold out, when in fact they are being held by a travel agency that specializes in accessible travel. Also, sometimes when you call Celebrity and ask for an accessible cabin, you'll be told that they're not available...because the agent is not interested in calling the Special Needs department to have one "released" for you.

If the accessible cabins are being held by a travel agency, eventually the agency will release the hold, and all of a sudden there are several accessible cabins available, so keep checking back.

Or you can call Celebrity again, and tell them that you NEED an accessible cabin, and ask for one to be released by Special Needs.

I don't know about the door width on a regular cabin, so I can't help you there. A folding manual chair is a good idea because you're able to get out of the chair and cross the threshold yourself. Another (additional?) option is a rollator, which is a rolling walker which has a seat so if you get tired while walking, you can rest.

Best of luck and enjoy your cruise!

I think the scooter would be able to get through the door, but the cabin is small and you could not maneuver comfortably. Also, the bathroom has a large step up to enter and cannot accomodate a wheelchair or a scooter. The shower also has a lip. I would also suggest calling back and requesting again an accessible cabin.

In my experience if you can't get a reasonable request filled by a customer service rep, try, try again! It may be the third rep who is finally willing to put forth the extra effort to get you an accessible room!

I know Cozumel has shopping right by the pier. We went of Princess and Carnival and there was an incredible new port area in Roatan but I think that may be just for Carnival Corp vessels, ie Princess, Hal, and Carnival.

Archived