Rome Excursion

chockhead

I would like some info on this before I book. I have walking difficulties & was wondering how much walking you actually do. I really want to visit Rome but I will be the one everybody will be waiting for on the coaches!

I also don't want to get Mrs Chockheads expectation up to high.

Cheers all

I would like some info on this before I book. I have walking difficulties & was wondering how much walking you actually do. I really want to visit Rome but I will be the one everybody will be waiting for on the coaches!

I also don't want to get Mrs Chockheads expectation up to high.

Cheers all

Hi

Which Rome excursion are you looking at? A lot of the P&O tours are quite walking intensive, although they do a 'panoramic' tour which is basically Rome by coach (but I don't think you get off too much).

Another option might be Rome on your Own where you can set your own pace for the day.

It all depends on what you want to get out of your day in Rome, let us know some more details and there are loads of us who will be able to help you.

C'mon don't be shy:D

Debbie:)

Hi,

We're doing the 'Rome on your Own' trip and apparently they drop us off at St Peter's Square so I imagine that is the Vatican one (!) If that is the case you could spend all day there!

We are planning to go over from the drop off to the Colesseum as there is loads to see over there too, with the Forum and a nice grassy area / park area to sit and relax in.

If you do the 'Rome on your Own' excursion I am sure that you will find a location where there is plenty to see, but with lots of opportunities to take a break if need be.

:)

I agree, Rome on your own would be the perfect choice as you can sightsee at your own pace. I did the 'Essence of Rome' a 11hr trip lots of fast paced non stop walking, when you couldn't stop for a rest without loosing your group. It was great as we saw all the main sights and were fast-tracked past the queues in the hot sun, but not for anyone with walking difficulties.

Hi,

We're doing the 'Rome on your Own' trip and apparently they drop us off at St Peter's Square so I imagine that is the Vatican one (!) If that is the case you could spend all day there!

We are planning to go over from the drop off to the Colesseum as there is loads to see over there too, with the Forum and a nice grassy area / park area to sit and relax in.

If you do the 'Rome on your Own' excursion I am sure that you will find a location where there is plenty to see, but with lots of opportunities to take a break if need be.

:)

Yes it is the Vatican St. Peter's Square. We were lucky :eek: enough to be dropped off by the coach just as the outdoor Mass was ending. Talk about opening the floodgates!

Unknown to us it was the Pope's birthday (John Paul II) and he was cannonising 3 new saints, one of which was from Poland the pope's home country. It is the busiest I've ever experienced Rome to be.

:D:D:D

Nothing like a quiet little spot for you to soak up the Roman atmosphere eh!

Did you do the Rome on your Own excursion too ? Did you find it easy to get over to the Forum area ? We were hoping that we'd be dropped off by the Forum and were very surprised to read that we were to be dropped off by the Vatican. We have been to Rome a number of times and the bits we really want to see this time are nearer the Colesseum, so we are planning to go over to the Forum and spend most of the day there and then make our way back to spend an hour at the Vatican.

Any help appreciated --- off to check now when the new Pope's birthday is :)

We were also dropped off in a car park by the Vatican to begin our Essence of Rome tour, this is the only pando tour that takes you inside the Vatican and in the Sistine Chapel, we had security clearance days before we went and were told no ammendments. After seeing the above, we then went to St Peters Basilica, where all the tourists can go, on for 3 course lunch included in £95pp tour price, then Trevi Fountain, Colosseum inside and out, and Roman Forum.

Nothing like a quiet little spot for you to soak up the Roman atmosphere eh!

Did you do the Rome on your Own excursion too ? Did you find it easy to get over to the Forum area ? We were hoping that we'd be dropped off by the Forum and were very surprised to read that we were to be dropped off by the Vatican. We have been to Rome a number of times and the bits we really want to see this time are nearer the Colesseum, so we are planning to go over to the Forum and spend most of the day there and then make our way back to spend an hour at the Vatican.

Any help appreciated --- off to check now when the new Pope's birthday is :)

Yes we did the Rome on Your Own excursion and that was when we got caught up in Il Papa's birthday shindig:D. To be honest on that occasion we didn't do an awful lot of the sights as it was just too busy and our daughter was still in a pushchair so we just mooched about.

We've also done a few other P&O tours in Rome, one took you to the Forum and Colosseum in the morning then you had the rest of the day as free time - the problem with this one was you only saw the outside of the Colosseum. Another was the Essence of Rome tour already described by Libralass and was the best ship's tour we've ever taken. The last tour was a walking tour of Rome and took in the Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, and Trevi Fountain amongst other things - probably my least favourite because it was blisteringly hot:eek:.

I seem to remember that on the Forum and Coliseum tour some people spent more time in that area and asked the guide what time and where we would be meeting to get the coach back to the ship and then went off and did their own thing - maybe that could be an option?

Now that we're much more experienced cruisers and our daughter is no longer in a pushchair (don't even get me started on climbing to the top of la sagrada familia with a pushchair!!) we don't bother with ship tours and DIY everywhere we go and as you've been to Rome before this could be an option for you. The train from Civi to Rome is about 9 Euro return and is quite easy to do as long as you're mindful of the time.

I hope this helps.

Hi Libralass41

Myself and my partner are going on our 1st cruise in 2 weeks on Ventura, were thinking of booking the essence of rome trip you mention, Would appreciate it if you could let me know what the food is like what is included in the tour as my partner can be a bit fussy with some food's, also is it a tour you would recomend.

Thanks

Hi

From memory we had a 'real italian' pasta and tomato starter, then chicken with sliced potatoes and salad, and a italian dessert like tiramisu. There was probably a veggie option.. it was basic good food, served with carafes of wine on the table, orange juice and perhaps beer.in a family run restaurant in the city It was a energy boost meal really, and as we were all eating a 4/5 course meal in the evening on the ship it was more than ample.

The main event of this trip was seeing the sights of Rome in a day and being able to queue jump all the tourists queuing in the hot sun.:)

Here are some photos of the day in Rome in my Med cruise Album, you are all given 'whispers' head sets so you can hear what your guide is saying which you need in this busy city tourist area, see round my neck.

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/ArcadiaMedCruiseJune07#5084168880996210066

Also you must cover your shoulders and knees, so long trousers, for men (someone suggested those cut off cargo trousers so after the Vatican area you could zip off the bottom of the trousers, ladies must cover shoulders, so no vest type tops, and cover knees.

Hi

From memory we had a 'real italian' pasta and tomato starter, then chicken with sliced potatoes and salad, and a italian dessert like tiramisu. There was probably a veggie option.. it was basic good food, served with carafes of wine on the table, orange juice and perhaps beer.in a family run restaurant in the city It was a energy boost meal really, and as we were all eating a 4/5 course meal in the evening on the ship it was more than ample.

The main event of this trip was seeing the sights of Rome in a day and being able to queue jump all the tourists queuing in the hot sun.:)

Here are some photos of the day in Rome in my Med cruise Album, you are all given 'whispers' head sets so you can hear what your guide is saying which you need in this busy city tourist area, see round my neck.

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/ArcadiaMedCruiseJune07#5084168880996210066

Also you must cover your shoulders and knees, so long trousers, for men (someone suggested those cut off cargo trousers so after the Vatican area you could zip off the bottom of the trousers, ladies must cover shoulders, so no vest type tops, and cover knees.

Fantastic photos - thank you - got us in the mood now !!!! :D:D:D

thesimpson

If you haven't been to Rome before you won't regret it...It covered all the main tourist sights -book asap, they trips get full quickly and this one needs security clearance for the Vatican, if you can, book now before you sail as it maybe full when you get onboard the ship.

I'm off on a weeks holiday now so won't be around for a week, flying to Madeira in a few hours time,

Have a good cruise

Sue -aka Libralass

Hullo - to anyone who has done this trip. We are booked on it next month and we get dropped off near St Peter's Sq. Does anyone know the easiest way to get to the Colleseum - metro, walk or bus? Also has anyone done the Hop on Hop off tour bus, I believe you can purchase tickets on the coach into Rome.

Archived