Stock Market affecting your cruise plans / bookings?

Rick-cruiser

Actually, our good luck with RCL stock has resulted in increasing our cruising. We bought 100 shares at about $6.50 early last year, and have already gotten $450 in OBC. We have another $200 coming up in December. So, that takes care of our purchase price. Recently, the stock has been around or only a bit below $30, so we feel we are about $3,000 ahead-which is about the price of a cruise we have booked in Feb. It is nice to consider that we could cash in the stock and have a free cruise, but will likely hold on to it as long as we keep getting the OBC.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Actually, our good luck with RCL stock has resulted in increasing our cruising. We bought 100 shares at about $6.50 early last year, and have already gotten $450 in OBC. We have another $200 coming up in December. So, that takes care of our purchase price. Recently, the stock has been around or only a bit below $30, so we feel we are about $3,000 ahead-which is about the price of a cruise we have booked in Feb. It is nice to consider that we could cash in the stock and have a free cruise, but will likely hold on to it as long as we keep getting the OBC.

Happy Sails to You

Interestingly curious as to how OBC results in increased cruising ? The OBC is not a part of the cruise fare and is only paying for expenses onboard the ship. How does it make more cruising possible ? Not flaming, just curious. I mean people can twist #'s anyway they like, but unless you have sold the stock, your gain is merely paper (excluding dividends and that possibly paid back to you or reinvested and not to mention the great OBC's you have received). I just don't get how you are ahead as that profit is not redeemed until it is sold.

Well, didn't expect my post would be challenged , that I would be accused of "twisting numbers" or that I would have to justify my comments:eek:

Let me simplify it for you.

First, we consider tips to be an integral part of the cost of a cruise, and they always exceed the amount of shareholder credit. Therefore, my true cost of cruising is reduced by my shareholder credit.

Second, my ability and willingness to cruise is affected by my overall financial health, including stocks I own. If I am in the hole with my investments, the less likely I am to spend money on leisure travel. On the other hand, if I am several thousand dollars ahead-even if it is on paper-I am more comfortable spending other funds on cruising as I know I have an asset that, barring the stock tanking, I can redeem.

The OP asked if the movement of the stock market affected one's cruising. Both increases and decreases in stock value are relevant factors. Of course actual dollar amount of profit or loss is not determined until the stock is sold-cela va sans dire-but, as selling stock can be done at will, I suspect most investors consider the amount they are ahead or behind at any time to be real money.

I just hate it when someone starts a comment with "not flaming..." and then proceeds with some condescending remarks.

I will not comment any more on this topic as I will be busy counting my money. :D

Happy Sails to You

Well, didn't expect my post would be challenged , that I would be accused of "twisting numbers" or that I would have to justify my comments:eek:

Let me simplify it for you.

First, we consider tips to be an integral part of the cost of a cruise, and they always exceed the amount of shareholder credit. Therefore, my true cost of cruising is reduced by my shareholder credit.

Second, my ability and willingness to cruise is affected by my overall financial health, including stocks I own. If I am in the hole with my investments, the less likely I am to spend money on leisure travel. On the other hand, if I am several thousand dollars ahead-even if it is on paper-I am more comfortable spending other funds on cruising as I know I have an asset that, barring the stock tanking, I can redeem.

The OP asked if the movement of the stock market affected one's cruising. Both increases and decreases in stock value are relevant factors. Of course actual dollar amount of profit or loss is not determined until the stock is sold-cela va sans dire-but, as selling stock can be done at will, I suspect most investors consider the amount they are ahead or behind at any time to be real money.

I just hate it when someone starts a comment with "not flaming..." and then proceeds with some condescending remarks.

I will not comment any more on this topic as I will be busy counting my money. :D

Happy Sails to You

"Not flaming...", but don't forget to pay the cap gains tax when you sell that stock.:) That is if you sell it for more than you paid.

If you have to worry about how a vacation is going to impact your current or future financial status, you should not be going on any vacation, or cruise. Life is too short.....

I assume that you are responding in part to my honest reply that as our stock portfolio for retirement sags, it does effect cruise plans.

There is no black and white, no "no cruises". The OP asked if a soft stock market has effected peoples plans and yes, for us instead of 28 or 30+ cruise days a year, we have scaled back to 14 to 21 days. (BTW we spend more time on our own modest sailboat in the summer than we do cruising under any market, we have lots of time to enjoy ourselves)

Life is too short but long enough you don't want to run out of cruise dollars when you are retired and can really take advantage of the past time full time. :D

Let me just say -- we go on a couple of cruises a year... but with this downturn I told my Partner:

First, no more jewelry -- you're cut off...:eek:; you will have to wear last years diamonds and colored stones;

Second, we are cutting back on the Martini Bar -- only one Martini every other night...:p

Third, limited to only "drink of the day;"

Fourth, get to look at the Specialty Restaurant menu; no eating;

Fifth, Cabin 1 by the anchor (steerage behind the gates); no more balconies or suites...:)

Now we are ready for a wonderful cruise....

Happy Cruising!!!

Archived