Tour Recommendations...

cruisingbajan

Hi Guys

can anyone recommend a tour or tour operator in St. Thomas? We are looking for an island tour that would take us to most/all points of interest and attractions on the island.

We are NOT interested in anything that involves of beach time.

Thanks in advance:)

A lot of the tour/taxi vehicles that cater to the cruise ship docks are safari types that can hold 18-20 people so those tend to be group tours, with multiple smaller groups or couples gathered together for the same trip. These often are shop+tour+beach. You can of course find/request the type of tour that you are looking for, a few hours just of island attractions not including beach stops. If there are particular sites you want to go to then you might want to arrange the tour before hand and list the places you want to go and find out how long (how many hours) the tour of those places would take and the price. Try: http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AuqLx0jjcO38EjwnS2uayvubvZx4?p=st.+thomas+activities+%2B+tours&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-701.

--Islander

Hunwolf...Thanks for the link

2pinacoladas thanks for the info re: options

Maybe one/both of you can answer my next question. What is there to do at Coral World? Can you spend 2 hours there without watching the clock?

I notice on Godfreys page, he drops the beach people off here and returns for them in 2 hours after continuing the tour with the non beach people. Just wondering if we could kill the 2 hours at Coral World.

Thanks again guys

Hunwolf...Thanks for the link

2pinacoladas thanks for the info re: options

Maybe one/both of you can answer my next question. What is there to do at Coral World? Can you spend 2 hours there without watching the clock?

I notice on Godfreys page, he drops the beach people off here and returns for them in 2 hours after continuing the tour with the non beach people. Just wondering if we could kill the 2 hours at Coral World.

Thanks again guys

Keith...we didn't do Coral World...so I really can't directly answer your question.

Our itinerary with Godfrey was:

9 AM - he picked us up from the Emerald Princess and took us downtown for shopping. At 11:20 AM, he picked us up at the meeting spot downtown and took us for the sightseeing/island tour. This included cold drinks/refreshments.

At roughly 1:10 PM, he gave us the option of being dropped off at Coki Beach (where Coral World is), Megan's Bay, or back to the ship. Our entire group did Megan's. However, when he picked us up at 3:00, we went back downtown to pick up some folks that he had dropped of shopping. I had not seen those folks all day...so maybe they did Coral World first? I don't know?

Godfrey did say that Coki Beach and Coral World are right there together. We really enjoyed Megan's Bay, but you do pay $4 entrance fee. Supposedly you pay for beach chairs as well, but the attendant just gave us our and said don't worry about it.

I do know (per email conversations with Godfrey and just chatting with him during the tour) that's he's real flexible with his schedule. He will work with you and your group.

Bajan Keith,

Sorry, we have not been to Coral World either. We do plan to go when we are in St. Thomas in March. I googled it and it seems like there would be plenty to do for a couple of hours. BTW--Sunny Liston will drop you off at Coki (Coral World) or Sapphire, it's your choice. Hope you have a great trip.

Bajan Keith,

Sorry, we have not been to Coral World either. We do plan to go when we are in St. Thomas in March. I googled it and it seems like there would be plenty to do for a couple of hours. BTW--Sunny Liston will drop you off at Coki (Coral World) or Sapphire, it's your choice. Hope you have a great trip.

I have also heard good things about Sunny's tours. I believe he was booked the day we were in port. There are 3 good private operators from what I can tell:

Sunny

Godfrey

Air Force One (run by Armitage Allembert I believe)

When are you going? If you're going in 2011 Air Force One isn't taking reservations until September (I e-mailed them and that was the response I received). We used Godfrey about five years ago and he was fine, but wanted to try something new this time.

Two hours at Coral World is sufficient time if you want to look at the different tanks, read some of the signage, and catch 1-2 feedings/talks. It’s a small aquarium that contains largely fish and marine life you find in the Caribbean. If you wanted to see all the feedings and do an activity like the helmet dive or sea lion encounter (in addition to seeing the tanks etc.) then you'd need a more time mostly based on what time your activity was scheduled (you have to make reservations for a lot of if not all of the activities as they only take a limited number of people to do them -for example that is the case with the sea lion activity). Try their website for photos, descriptions and feeding schedules: http://coralworldvi.com/.

--Islander

Keith...we didn't do Coral World...so I really can't directly answer your question.

9 AM - he picked us up from the Emerald Princess and took us downtown for shopping. At 11:20 AM, he picked us up at the meeting spot downtown and took us for the sightseeing/island tour. This included cold drinks/refreshments.

At roughly 1:10 PM, he gave us the option of being dropped off at Coki Beach (where Coral World is), Megan's Bay, or back to the ship. Our entire group did Megan's. However, when he picked us up at 3:00, we went back downtown to pick up some folks that he had dropped of shopping. I had not seen those folks all day...so maybe they did Coral World first? I don't know?

Godfrey did say that Coki Beach and Coral World are right there together. We really enjoyed Megan's Bay, but you do pay $4 entrance fee. Supposedly you pay for beach chairs as well, but the attendant just gave us our and said don't worry about it.

I do know (per email conversations with Godfrey and just chatting with him during the tour) that's he's real flexible with his schedule. He will work with you and your group.

Thanks for the info Hunwolf. I won't be with a group though, it will just be my wife and myself.

As long as there is stuff to keep us occupied at Coral world we may stay there as opposed to getting taken back to the ship. My wife and I get enough sea, sun and sand at home so we are not into that while on vacation:)

Two hours at Coral World is sufficient time if you want to look at the different tanks, read some of the signage, and catch 1-2 feedings/talks. It’s a small aquarium that contains largely fish and marine life you find in the Caribbean. If you wanted to see all the feedings and do an activity like the helmet dive or sea lion encounter (in addition to seeing the tanks etc.) then you'd need a more time mostly based on what time your activity was scheduled (you have to make reservations for a lot of if not all of the activities as they only take a limited number of people to do them -for example that is the case with the sea lion activity). Try their website for photos, descriptions and feeding schedules: http://coralworldvi.com/.

--Islander

Thanks for the link Islander it really does look like something we would enjoy doing. Is there an entrance fee?

Bajan Keith,

Thanks. Please come back and tell us(me:D) how it was. I hope you have a great time in March.

Thanks again:)

When are you going? If you're going in 2011 Air Force One isn't taking reservations until September (I e-mailed them and that was the response I received). We used Godfrey about five years ago and he was fine, but wanted to try something new this time.

Is there a website for Air Force One?

Thanks

... and here's another recommendation for Air Force One, a.k.a. Papa Bear, a.k.a. Armitage Allembert. We had a great day with him in March, and took his Island Tour w/2 hours at a beach of our choice (we went to Secret Harbour). He's got a lot of tour options on his website, including one that is a tour only, with no beach time.

He was great! You'd have a great day with him.

... and here's another recommendation for Air Force One, a.k.a. Papa Bear, a.k.a. Armitage Allembert. We had a great day with him in March, and took his Island Tour w/2 hours at a beach of our choice (we went to Secret Harbour). He's got a lot of tour options on his website, including one that is a tour only, with no beach time.

He was great! You'd have a great day with him.

Thanks....he certainly does have quite a few options. We should make a decision pretty soon.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the link Islander it really does look like something we would enjoy doing. Is there an entrance fee?

not sure if you have already cruised or not but here you go ......Admission Rates for:General Park

Admission - Adult $19Date of visit: pixel.gifGeneral Park

Admission - Child$10Date of visit: pixel.gifFamily Day Pass*$60Date of visit: pixel.gif

Combination Tickets:**AdultChildSea Trek & Coral World$77$68Sea Lion Encounter & Coral World$74$65Sea Lion Painting & Coral World$94$85Sea Lion Swim & Coral World$104$95Shark Encounter & Coral World$51$42Turtle Encounter & Coral World$51$42Semi Submarine & Coral World$39$30Snuba & Coral World$71$62

we are cruising in Sept and are just going to taxi over to coral world and then go snorkle at coki

not sure if you have already cruised or not but here you go ......Admission Rates for:General Park

Admission - Adult $19Date of visit: pixel.gifGeneral Park

Admission - Child$10Date of visit: pixel.gifFamily Day Pass*$60Date of visit: pixel.gif

Combination Tickets:**AdultChildSea Trek & Coral World$77$68Sea Lion Encounter & Coral World$74$65Sea Lion Painting & Coral World$94$85Sea Lion Swim & Coral World$104$95Shark Encounter & Coral World$51$42Turtle Encounter & Coral World$51$42Semi Submarine & Coral World$39$30Snuba & Coral World$71$62

we are cruising in Sept and are just going to taxi over to coral world and then go snorkle at coki

Not cruising until next April. Thanks for the info.:)

For the shopping, did he take you to various shops, or what shopping venues are you taken too? Thanks!

Hi Guys

can anyone recommend a tour or tour operator in St. Thomas? We are looking for an island tour that would take us to most/all points of interest and attractions on the island.

We are NOT interested in anything that involves of beach time.

Thanks in advance:)

I've been taking groups to St. Thomas for years and I always highly recommend they take a tour through Sunny Liston:

www.sunnylistontours.net.

This is an extremely fun tour; my people always love it and they get to see so much of the beautiful island with a guy who is very concerned about safety and wants to show you all the beauty of the island and have a super fun time.There's no doubt, you will have fun and feel very secure with him .

Yes, there is crime in every island but stay with someone like Sunny and you will never see it.

I would never recommend going to areas like Coki Beach; stay with Sunny and you will be as safe as one can be walking down your city street at home. Depending on how many people are in your party; he will customize your tour to suit you plus he's always on time . No waiting for him.

Archived