Latest (Last Minute) You've Booked?

ctinct

My daughter and I were not planning on cruising this year, as we are saving for Hawaii next year. I planned a driving vacation, BUT...I have been watching the Bahamas cruise out of NYC. I mean, like a nut-twice a day. I plan to do this weekly to get a sense of how prices tend to go. This week may have been cheaper because most kids around here are still in school, but the prices were very good. Even though I am not really interested in the ports, if I can get a great deal, I would go just to have someone cook and clean for me for an entire week<g>.

I have two weeks available I could go. So, I plan to set my price point, and if it is available, great. If not, nothing lost. However, I am wondering what has been the latest someone has booked a cruise before sailing? Two-three days makes me kind of nervous, for some reason, but the deals in that time frame were amazing. Has anyone done this? If I remember correctly the prices disappeared the afternoon before sailing, so i would guess that is the latest one could book.

My daughter and I were not planning on cruising this year, as we are saving for Hawaii next year. I planned a driving vacation, BUT...I have been watching the Bahamas cruise out of NYC. I mean, like a nut-twice a day. I plan to do this weekly to get a sense of how prices tend to go. This week may have been cheaper because most kids around here are still in school, but the prices were very good. Even though I am not really interested in the ports, if I can get a great deal, I would go just to have someone cook and clean for me for an entire week<g>.

I have two weeks available I could go. So, I plan to set my price point, and if it is available, great. If not, nothing lost. However, I am wondering what has been the latest someone has booked a cruise before sailing? Two-three days makes me kind of nervous, for some reason, but the deals in that time frame were amazing. Has anyone done this? If I remember correctly the prices disappeared the afternoon before sailing, so i would guess that is the latest one could book.

My first cruise was booked 2 weeks prior. It was a surprise to me so I had nothing to do with the planning.

One of my fantasies has always been to be driving and take the exit for the airport and get on the next plane to some exotic place.

Last October, I nearly did just that.

I had two friends cruising (different ships) and the week before I kept getting these GREAT last minute deals emailed to me.

Alas, my travel companion (my teen DD) was not free to join me (or so I thought).

It was a good deal, but I couldn't go alone and leave her to fend for herself.

On Thursday, she tells me her schedule for the next week.

Turns out she has only one day of "real" school that week--she had Monday and Friday completely off, and Tuesday and Thursday were not class days for Sophmores.

I felt a burning desire to join one of my friends, so I got home and tried booking one of the two cruises (both were from ports within driving distances).

I was crushed when they were both SOLD OUT!!!!!

My daughter suggested we try cruises out of Miami. I wasn't into it--I really have no desire to cruise to the Bahamas or Caribbean if I have to fly to get to the ship. If I am going to fly, I will go directly to the island and park my butt on the beach.

BUT--I would fly to Europe!!!!!

The GEM sailing out of Barcelona had a mini for a FABULOUS price!!!!

But could I get airfare????? If I could, was it not more expensive than the cruise x2?????

My PCC stayed on the line with me while I searched--Twice I found a decent rate, was ready to book, and was advised it could not be completed.

About 11pm, I finally found a fare--that was leaving in 18 hours--for a dirt cheap price.

I booked the flight, booked the cruise, and ran upstairs to pack.

The next day, I went to work, and let my boss know I had an urgent sitution, and had to take the next week off (My Dad had just died unexpectedly two weeks earlier--I think he assumed it was related).

My DD came home from school, we got to the airport, and in less than 20 hours were on our flight.

We spent a wonderful day in Barcelona on Sat, and sailed on Sunday.

That so far is my record--

BUT....my friend is sailing out of NY (where I would not have to fly to) TODAY!!!!

I just checked NCL, and there are still balcony rooms available!!!!!

However, I am wondering what has been the latest someone has booked a cruise before sailing? Two-three days makes me kind of nervous, for some reason, but the deals in that time frame were amazing. Has anyone done this? If I remember correctly the prices disappeared the afternoon before sailing, so i would guess that is the latest one could book.

DH and I once booked a cruise 5 days ahead of time. DH called me around noon on Tues to tell me that he'd been downsized. By Tues eve we were booked on the Pearl's Western Caribbean itinerary for the following Sunday.

The only 2 gotchas that I can see to booking at the last minute are the airfare and the cabin selection. We live within driving distance of the port so the airfare wasn't an issue for us. We also got a pretty decent cabin (10th floor amidships).

Last year I booked my 6/29 cruise on 6/27...just decided I needed a quick get away. I had already rented a house on LBI in NJ for 2 weeks in August, but couldn't wait another minute to be on vacation...I was toast at work. There were only 3 cabins left & no balconies... :( ...so I booked an OV & had a good time anyway :). It was NYC so I just drove to the port.

I was in my office one August morning and all my summer work was done. Work was going to get very busy again 10 days later. In about 20 minutes I had a flight to Baltimore, overnight accomodations, and a seven day cruise to Bermuda onboard the Majesty booked. Upon completion, I said a thank you prayer for having the health, the means, and the time to do something like that. I left three days later by myself and it was one of the most relaxing trips ever taken.

coka

Get off the computer and start packing!

LOL--I went so far as room request, but when I tried it would not give any availability.

I bet if I called a PCC, or went to the dock, I could have gotten onboard.

I told my DD about this thread, and she said "let's do it". Too bad she has finals this week.:p

Two years ago on a cold winter day (20 below zero actual) my husband came home from work and said to book a cruise to someplace warm. I called a travel agent and got an air and cruise package at a great rate leaving in three days--the kicker was that I had a two day conference to attend before that. So I suddenly found myself packing one suitcase for a professional conference and one for a week long cruise as well. I finished the conference and we left for a cruise the next day and had a wonderful time.

Archived