Zaandam to Alaska

N Randolph

I'm booked on the Zaandam to Alaska leaving August 6 from Seattle. Does anyone have any tips or recommendations about things to do -- piano bar, shows (which I generally don't make a point of going to),Northern Lights, etc. Or fabulous shore excursions?

How was the food and MDR service? Generally on HAL I expect a great dining experience.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Don't go looking for a Northern Lights on the Zaandam---there isn't one. The Crows Nest becomes the disco at some point in the evening.

There's no "Piano Bar" per se, either. It's a Piano Lounge, which is an entirely different atmosphere.

I haven't been on the Zaandam in a while, and then it was to Hawaii, so I won't speak to how the ship is currently. But, when I was on her, I loved her. I especially like the "music" theme which is carried out in her decor.

Make sure you listen to at least one of her Atrium Band organ free performances (11:00 am + 12:00 + 2:00 + 4:00 pm) on sea days. Very cool on a cruise ship

img_atrium.jpg

That is pretty incredible. Is that only on the Zaandam or what other ships do they have this on, if any? That looks impressive and probably sounds impressive too. :)

Joel Mason should still be on board - don't miss his show. :)

We thought the Zaandam was in MUCH better shape than the Westerdam in 2009. Have a great cruise!

Jill

That is pretty incredible. Is that only on the Zaandam or what other ships do they have this on, if any? That looks impressive and probably sounds impressive too. :)

Zaandam is the only dam ship that has the working organ as an Atrium center piece.

The other, soon to be fourteen, ships have atriums with as their center piece anything ranging from a huge fountain, to glass sculptures, to a big clock with Mr. Atlas on top. I personnaly like Zaandam's but kinda wished they would have painted the organ like the street organs in my former home town of Amsterdam

Sorry, a bit off topic, but what type of camera do you use copper? I"m in the market and your photos are always very crisp!! :)

Sorry Cheryl but the one above of the organ isn't mine. Got if off the internet

We were on the Zaandam last October and totally fell in love with HAL. Staff was very attentive. Room was great. MDR was excellent! We did the "As you wish" dining and had no problems getting in any night. Also did the Pinnacle one lunch... booked for dinner. All in all, great ship. Would definitely take her again.

Archived