Duty Free at San Juan Pier

We have previously sailed out of San Juan on a Princess cruise and there was a duty free shop in the terminal. We were told by the people in the duty free shop that we could carry alcohol onboard. We did not believe it, but bought a bottle, went through TSA security, and proceeded onboard. Does anyone know if Royal Caribbean check your carry ons at security or does TSA do this? There were several people buying quite a bit of alcohol at the duty free shop and bringing it onboard. Just checking if there is a duty free shop at the RCI pier and anyone's experience with this.

We have previously sailed out of San Juan on a Princess cruise and there was a duty free shop in the terminal. We were told by the people in the duty free shop that we could carry alcohol onboard. We did not believe it, but bought a bottle, went through TSA security, and proceeded onboard. Does anyone know if Royal Caribbean check your carry ons at security or does TSA do this? There were several people buying quite a bit of alcohol at the duty free shop and bringing it onboard. Just checking if there is a duty free shop at the RCI pier and anyone's experience with this.

RCI sails out of PanAm Pier. I'm not sure if Princess sails out of there or not. There is another pier located in Old San Juan.

We just returned from Serenade in April and it has been mentioned that there is a duty free store in the terminal, though we did not see it.

Upon entering the terminal, the first x-ray that you will go through is handled by the port security. The second x-ray you will go through is on the ship on the embarkation deck. There is a huge sign prior to putting your bags through the ships x-ray of what will happen if alcohol is found in your carry on luggage.

If it is unopened they will keep it for you until the last night. If it is opened it will be thrown away.

The people that sell the liquor in PR at the PanAm pier (where RCCL and Princess leave from) will tell you you can take the liquor on the ship. This is partly true you can take it thru the first screening, but when you get on board it wil be taken from you by RCCL and held till cruise end. We have sailed from there several times and seen people buying the liquor thinking it can go to their cabin, which in RCCL's case is not true. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your responses. When we sailed on Princess from San Juan we only went through one screening. This screening was conducted by TSA and we were never subjected to a second screening by the cruise line. I appreciate all of the info.

Thanks for your responses. When we sailed on Princess from San Juan we only went through one screening. This screening was conducted by TSA and we were never subjected to a second screening by the cruise line. I appreciate all of the info.

When we sailed on our Adventure B2B's in Nov/Dec, there was a Princess ship that sailed from the Pan American Pier with us.

She was in there disembarking when we did also.

It caused that road to the piers to be a nightmare when we returned. The cabs could not move in or out on that one road. :eek:

Whether you will get that liquor on to the ships at the Pan American piers is another issue. We can't and couldn't. ;)

I changed my mind. sorry.

Archived