Cape Liberty Cruise Port in NJ

grammagrace

Check my blog and the cape liberty 411 thread here...

it depends how you are getting to the area, what you want to do, will you park at the pier, etc...

when are you coming and what is your budget?

there is NOTHING close to the pier...generally we suggest something in secaucus and/or near EWR airport

I generally stay at either the Courtyard or Residence Inn Newark/Elizabeth off exit 13A of the NJ Turnpike...then it's about 45-50 via car service/cab to the pier. Not far, but nothing in NJ is 'cheap'.

What's the best choice for driving in the night before the cruise, and leaving the car at the hotel? Ideally including a shuttle to the port. I have left from Cape Liberty before, but we parked at the port last time after doing the NYC thing for a few days. This time, we are just looking to sleep the night before leaving.

Where are you driving in from? Are you 2 people? There are 3 strategies:

1) Country Inns - Cruise package including shuttle (king bed) $179 + $35 parking = $214 (includes breakfast)

2) Park/sleep - Fairfield Inn (www.trinityreservations.com) - $106 + car service to Cape Liberty (about $45-50 each way + tip) - $216- $226 (includes breakfast) - may be able to get back to Newark Airport for $15/pp + hotel shuttle.

3) Secaucus - 3* hotel on Hotwire ($77 + tax - about $94) - This is the Sheraton Meadowlands + $131 parking at port - $225

There are advantages and disadvantages to each. Country Inns - no control over when you arrive at the port. Fairfield Inn - can control your time of arrival at the port and save some $ on the return. Secaucus - nonrefundable reservation but total control over your schedule and ability to just get on the road home.

Two people, driving in from Ottawa, ON, Canada, crossing upstate NY, coming down 87. I went 81 last time, but it looks like 87 is a bit shorter. I actually have time to leave in the early morning and get to the port on time, but would rather get there the day before... just in case ;)

I'm sure greatam will give you advice about your route. It's a long drive. I would seriously consider bidding on the 3* Hotwire hotel in Secaucus and paying to park at the port. There are no guarantees on Hotwire or Priceline, but this hotel appears there all the time and it has always been the Sheraton. IMO it's worth the extra $10 to be able to get off the ship and hit the road instead of fussing around with transportation back to Newark Airport to retrieve your car. The Secaucus hotel and area will be much nicer than the Newark Airport area and you will have restaurant choices nearby (which you really won't have at the airport).

Archived