eenie, meenie, miney, moe. . .

findmewdw

Currently in the process of trying to find a precruise hotel. I have read so many reveiws! My eyes are getting crossed!

Wondered if you could share where you booked your precruise hotel and why? If there is another thread like this, I apologize. Again, my eyes are getting crossed from all the reviews. Thought it would be interesting to see which hotels cruise critics chose.

Currently in the process of trying to find a precruise hotel. I have read so many reveiws! My eyes are getting crossed!

Wondered if you could share where you booked your precruise hotel and why? If there is another thread like this, I apologize. Again, my eyes are getting crossed from all the reviews. Thought it would be interesting to see which hotels cruise critics chose.

Here is a link to the hotels in Honolulu

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g60982-Honolulu_Oahu_Hawaii-Hotels.html

scroll down the page and you'll see they are rated with reviews,there are about 100 to pick from.

We went last month and stayed at the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel. It is at the far East end, but it was a nice comfortable hotel. We stayed three nights pre-cruise. We found the best rates right on their website, $129/night including a continental breakfast, which was pretty extensive all sorts of pastries, fruit, yougurt, coffee, oj, milk. There is a waffle/omlett station you can pay extra for too. There is free parking by the zoo about a block away too. Good luck!

scroll down the page and you'll see they are rated with reviews,there are about 100 to pick from.

If you find a deal that's too good to be true, it probably is. We picked a hotel that was highly rated by trip advisor, and the price was really low. I read several reviews and just couldn't understand why the price was so low with these great reviews. Well, we definitely didn't get more than we paid for, and the brochure pictures didn't match what we got. My advice is to stick with a chain hotel and one with recent renovations if possible.

If you find a deal that's too good to be true, it probably is. We picked a hotel that was highly rated by trip advisor, and the price was really low. I read several reviews and just couldn't understand why the price was so low with these great reviews. Well, we definitely didn't get more than we paid for, and the brochure pictures didn't match what we got. My advice is to stick with a chain hotel and one with recent renovations if possible.

Which hotel with the high rating disappointed you.

The choice of hotel options are almost overwhelming and I am convinced that I would happy with many of them. First I picked the Outrigger Reef Oceanfront and then I switched to the Outrigger on the Beach Oceanview for my September pre cruise stay. I will keep checking for any deals. I did stay in the Halekulani during my first trip to Oahu, but this time I am staying four days and I am looking for something a less expensive. But for $219 a night ocean view for the Outrigger with the possibility of an check in upgrade option is a good deal. The Halekulani was outstanding and I would stay there again if I can get a really good deal.

Which cruiseline are you going with? I just came back from my cruise on POA and we came in a day before the cruise and stayed at the Waikiki Beach Marriott. They have a NCL Service Desk at the hotel so when you get there you go right there and they do all of the pre-boarding stuff including taking your picture and they have your room key. You get an info sheet that tells you what time to get the bus to the pier the next day. At the pier there is a special line there just for guests staying at the hotel and pretty much since we did everything else at the hotel to check in we just handed over the paperwork and then got our cards and we were the first group called to board. I don't remember the price but I would recommend it if you are sailing with NCL.

I just came back from my cruise on POA and we came in a day before the cruise and stayed at the Waikiki Beach Marriott. They have a NCL Service Desk at the hotel so when you get there you go right there and they do all of the pre-boarding stuff including taking your picture and they have your room key. You get an info sheet that tells you what time to get the bus to the pier the next day. At the pier there is a special line there just for guests staying at the hotel...

Did you book this hotel through NCL? My understanding was that these services are only available to guests who have done that, but I may be wrong.

Which cruiseline are you going with? I just came back from my cruise on POA and we came in a day before the cruise and stayed at the Waikiki Beach Marriott. They have a NCL Service Desk at the hotel so when you get there you go right there and they do all of the pre-boarding stuff including taking your picture and they have your room key. You get an info sheet that tells you what time to get the bus to the pier the next day. At the pier there is a special line there just for guests staying at the hotel and pretty much since we did everything else at the hotel to check in we just handed over the paperwork and then got our cards and we were the first group called to board. I don't remember the price but I would recommend it if you are sailing with NCL.

I am not sure if this question is for me, but I am cruising on the Royal Princess leaving on September 24th.

When reading reviews on TA, look carefully at how many contributions the poster has on TA. Many of the lodgings with great reviews have numerous reviews written by what we call "one-post wonders." (there only post on TA is the review you are reading) If an establishment has many one-post wonder reviewers, you can be pretty sure that they are "fake" reviews. When I read reviews, I now know to skip over any that are written by posters with fewer than 10 reviews. I put the most credence in those reviews written by posters with 30+ contributions. Doing this, I have no longer been disappointed.

Oh yes, I've looked at this list many times! I did find on trip advisor forum that some of the ratings may not be correct. There have been a few reveiws that weren't legitimate. I always check on trip advisor before getting a hotel anywhere. I do love their site! Thanks

Did you book this hotel through NCL? My understanding was that these services are only available to guests who have done that, but I may be wrong.

Yes, that is my understanding also. I would snatch up a night at Mariott if I can get the same service without booking through NCL. We are cruising NCL in Oct and purchased our cruise through an online agency. Anybody know the answer?

We are staying at the Outrigger on Waikiki Beach for 3 nights pre-cruise because of the price and location (in the middle of Waikiki and on the beach). We are staying at Hilton Hawaiian Village one night post-cruise because it's a mega-resort. It's a lot more expensive than the Outrigger and it's located on one end of Waikiki so not as convenient.

Yes, that is my understanding also. I would snatch up a night at Mariott if I can get the same service without booking through NCL. We are cruising NCL in Oct and purchased our cruise through an online agency. Anybody know the answer?

You have to book the Marriott thru NCL if you want the special cruise check in and bus ride to the peir. If you book the Marriott on your own the cruise check in service center there will not help you. I tried this.

The price for the Marriott is approx double if you book it thru NCL. So you are really paying alot for the special cruise check in and bus ride to the pier. You can check in at the peir. It doesnt take that long. A private taxi ride to the peir is easy and costs around $20.

Save your money don't book the hotel thru NCL. Not worth it in my opinion.

...take a look at the Westin Moana Surfrider. They have been offering some excellent book 3, get a 4th night free deals. It's a beautiful hotel - definitely lives up to it's name of the "first lady of Waikiki". Be aware though that like all Westin properties, it is 100% non-smoking.

The Outrigger on the Beach is next door. Love having Duke's so close. fwiw - if I couldn't stay at my top 3 hotels (Westin MS, Royal Hawaiian, Halekulani), I would opt for the OonB.

Just back from POA. Stayed 3 nights pre and 1 night post cruise at the HHV. Great amenities, great beach. Everything you could want. That being said, next time we'll probably opt for the Outrigger on the Beach. Mainly for the location.

We are staying at the Ilima in Waikiki which is NOT on the beach...but close. We are getting a two-bedroom with a full kitchen for $160 so are able to split the cost with friends. Also, free parking is available and I do want to rent a car so that was a bonus. I think it's 2-3 blocks from the beach and right by the International Marketplace.

We have an oceanfront room in Maui pre-cruise and a balcony room on the ship, so less expensive post cruise made sense to us.

...take a look at the Westin Moana Surfrider. They have been offering some excellent book 3, get a 4th night free deals. It's a beautiful hotel - definitely lives up to it's name of the "first lady of Waikiki". Be aware though that like all Westin properties, it is 100% non-smoking.

The Outrigger on the Beach is next door. Love having Duke's so close. fwiw - if I couldn't stay at my top 3 hotels (Westin MS, Royal Hawaiian, Halekulani), I would opt for the OonB.

Thank you for your suggestion. I will look into it. Do you get a better deal if you sign in as a member? My initial check seems to indicate that it is more expensive than the Outrigger, who is offering Oceanview rooms for $219 a night for four nights. What is the rate that you get for the WMS? So the real question is how much nicer is it? Are you suggesting that it is almost as nice as the

Halekulani?

Yes, we booked our cruise separately but stayed at the Waikiki Marriott because we found a good deal online. It was half the cost of booking through NCL because their price is per person. I stopped at the NCL desk to ask if we could pay to have our luggage transported to the ship, and she looked at me like I had 3 heads! :eek:(She was actually the only person on our whole trip who was rude.) She said it was only for those who had booked through NCL. I told her I would have, because I don't mind paying more, but the service was not worth double the price for the hotel! The hotel and their employees were very nice, and we stayed there pre and post cruise.

Yes, we booked our cruise separately but stayed at the Waikiki Marriott because we found a good deal online. It was half the cost of booking through NCL because their price is per person. I stopped at the NCL desk to ask if we could pay to have our luggage transported to the ship, and she looked at me like I had 3 heads! :eek:(She was actually the only person on our whole trip who was rude.) She said it was only for those who had booked through NCL. I told her I would have, because I don't mind paying more, but the service was not worth double the price for the hotel! The hotel and their employees were very nice, and we stayed there pre and post cruise.

I think it is ridiculous that they charge more than booking it on your own. They should offer us a discount to book the Marriott since it will bring the Marriott more business, not charge us more for it!!

I think it is ridiculous that they charge more than booking it on your own. They should offer us a discount to book the Marriott since it will bring the Marriott more business, not charge us more for it!!

Do not forget that NCL is getting their profit. Obviously a very large one.

Archived