Help with the towncar from airport

So we were all set to take the lightrail on Thursday but now I see it will be raining so we are thinking of switching transportation. For 4 of us, it seems like the towncar is the best priced option, right? We are staying at the sheraton downtown.

I just get our luggage and then go to an "airport" phone in baggage claim and dial 55? What is an "airport" phone, will it say transportation or anything? Cost is around $40 plus we tip the driver?

I know the airport part is covered from the rain but once we get to Westlake and try to walk to our hotel, we will get wet! From what I've read, it is not easy to catch a cab at the Westlake station, right? Think taking the towncar is our best choice?

Too bad it will rain both days we are there but I think there are enough inside things to do to keep us busy. I figured the day we get there we can still take the monorail to Seattle Center to the music museum. Don't know what else, is Pike Place covered from the rain? Thanks in advance!

Now I am wondering if we should just rent a car? We could still take the light rail and then have DH go pick up the car at the Hilton and drive us over to the Sheraton with the luggage. The car rental and extra parking would be about $160 but I am thinking it might be money well spent to get around in the pouring rain?

So we were all set to take the lightrail on Thursday but now I see it will be raining so we are thinking of switching transportation. For 4 of us, it seems like the towncar is the best priced option, right? We are staying at the sheraton downtown.

I just get our luggage and then go to an "airport" phone in baggage claim and dial 55? What is an "airport" phone, will it say transportation or anything? Cost is around $40 plus we tip the driver?

I know the airport part is covered from the rain but once we get to Westlake and try to walk to our hotel, we will get wet! From what I've read, it is not easy to catch a cab at the Westlake station, right? Think taking the towncar is our best choice?

Too bad it will rain both days we are there but I think there are enough inside things to do to keep us busy. I figured the day we get there we can still take the monorail to Seattle Center to the music museum. Don't know what else, is Pike Place covered from the rain? Thanks in advance!

Rain? Rain? What's that? Supposed to be a few showers on Thursday, and warmish. Sunny and near 70 on Friday, and downright hot (75+ degrees) on Saturday and Sunday with nary a cloud in sight. We haven't had a monsoon since, oh, yesterday; and no tornadoes since last week (didn't touch down, though). Seriously, though, the rain in Seattle is rarely a big deal. Most of us don't even carry umbrellas.

Yes, most of the Market is under cover, though there are outdoor vendors, too.

Karen, thanks so much! I always love reading your posts. You have such a good sense of humor and a way with words. Yes, the weather report has changed since I looked at it and instead of rain both Thur and Friday, it looks much better with a "few" showers. I am relieved thinking we would be trudging around in downpours and I know my 10 year old is not that much of a trooper.

I was thinking of renting the car for the 2 days of sightseeing but after reading your post, the updated weather report and a few others over at TripAdvisor, I will stick with our original plans and take the light rail. It seems as though parking is a bigger hassle than the rain!

(I just bought a new raincoat and packed up umbrellas for us so that must be why the weather changed, just like it rains when you wash the car-lol) I must go back and slip some shorts back in.

***But...just in case it is really raining hard when we get there Thur am and I decide not to do the lightrail, am I right in thinking the best way for 4 of us is to take a towncar by calling #55 from a phone in the baggage claim? I tell them what door we are at and they come right up to the baggage claim and get us instead of having to walk out past the parking garage? I heard this is a flat price almost the same as the cab but if traffic is bad, the cab could cost more? Is the towncar around $40 plus tip?

Karen, thanks so much! I always love reading your posts. You have such a good sense of humor and a way with words. Yes, the weather report has changed since I looked at it and instead of rain both Thur and Friday, it looks much better with a "few" showers. I am relieved thinking we would be trudging around in downpours and I know my 10 year old is not that much of a trooper.

I was thinking of renting the car for the 2 days of sightseeing but after reading your post, the updated weather report and a few others over at TripAdvisor, I will stick with our original plans and take the light rail. It seems as though parking is a bigger hassle than the rain!

(I just bought a new raincoat and packed up umbrellas for us so that must be why the weather changed, just like it rains when you wash the car-lol) I must go back and slip some shorts back in.

***But...just in case it is really raining hard when we get there Thur am and I decide not to do the lightrail, am I right in thinking the best way for 4 of us is to take a towncar by calling #55 from a phone in the baggage claim? I tell them what door we are at and they come right up to the baggage claim and get us instead of having to walk out past the parking garage? I heard this is a flat price almost the same as the cab but if traffic is bad, the cab could cost more? Is the towncar around $40 plus tip?

Parking runs about $30 give or take for 24 hours in downtown, and most hotels DO charge for parking. So light rail is less hassle, and CHEAPER...;)

I have never used the non-reserved limos at the airport, always having had reservations in advance, and they do come and pick up at the terminal. But I can't say about the ones that are already there Cab is not flat price FROM the airport, you are on the meter and at the mercy of the traffic. Limos are flat rate, and in the neighborhood of $40 plus gratuity should be about right based on my experiences.

weather is so variable if you watch the news we are the only city where they refer to a 'chance of sunbreaks'. Yesterday I drove to Vancouver. Started clear then rained, then 70 degrees and bright sun, showered a bit on the way home then sun again. Who knows?

From Delta you are so close to the Grayline airport bus that goes direct to Sheraton. At $11 a person its pretty reasonable. The towncars at the airport will charge $45. Look for the white phone normally near the 'hotel and shuttle' advertising on the side of the escalators or look for the information booth, depending on where in baggage claim you are on the wall closest to the street. The towncars will pick you up at the door closest to where your carousel is at.

Does anyone know if the Grayline bus drops people off at the Pike St. Homewood Suites? Thanks.

it would be a real short walk from Sheraton which would be the closest at 6th and Pike

Thanks everyone. We leave tomorrow and will just play it by ear depending on the weather and how well the kids are pulling their own luggage. I really think the light rail will be fun but at least have the other options. Thanks again for all the detailed help.

Archived