Arrival into Rome and Departure evening

Fellow Critics,

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Finance and I are taking a Honeymoon cruise of the SilverSea Shadow departing October 10th from the port near Rome. We arrive after an overnight flight from the states in the morning. However, our ship does not depart untill 11:00pm that evening.

Question: I would like to see some must-sees in Rome during the day before we go to the port as I understand its an hour away? I was thinking of getting a private car service to pick us up and go sight-seeing before taking us to the port. However, the problem is we will just be getting off a long flight and it would be nice to freshen up. Do you think we should try to find a cheap hotel to just use the room for an hour to shower, etc? If so, any suggestions close to the airport. Other suggestions on what to do also very appreciated.

Personally, I would not waste the time, going to a hotel to freshen up. Bring along a few things in a carry-on to freshen up and make you feel better on the plane, then hit the road running. Hiring a driver for the day to pick you up from the airport then a little sightseeing, then off to the ship (which is more like and hour and a half from Rome), will be time consuming enough. You will be able to see alot just driving around in the comfort of the car. Have a good idea of what you would like to "see" on the inside beforehand so you can let your driver know as time will be of an essence. If I had to choose one thing to show someone in Rome, it would have to be the inside of St. Peter's Basilica, but I'm sure others will disagree.

Our first day in Rome (arriving in the morning after two long flights to get there from Los Angeles), we ended up on the hop-on hop-off bus and mostly just stayed on the bus and looked at the sights. It was all very overwhelming as we were pretty tired, but if that would have been my only chance to see any of it, I would have been glad that I did. Congratulations and have a great time on your honeymoon.

Tammy

• 3 weeks later...

Archived