How clean is snorkel gear????

Drumbum1977

My husband and I have our own equipment...question, do you really have to buy new gear after a few years as I say posted? Does the mask lose its seal or something? We only snorkel a couple of times/year and sometimes skip a year in between.

Thanks

SR

Absolutely not necessary. You can easily test the mask seal (in your bath tub, if need be) and obtain replacement mouthpieces for the snorkel.

The only person recommending periodic replacement would be a snorkel salesman.

We have our own gear also. But ya know, those wipes sound good - less to pack.:D

You know, I never thought of this. I brought my own mask and snorkle or my recent Sun cruise, but then I had to rent SCUBA gear for my open water dives. I wonder just how thoroughly they clean those regulators each day? Of course, I can't start hauling SCUBA gear on a cruise (I actually don't own much beyond a wetsuit, mask, snorkle and fins), so I guess I'll be packing those wipes for my next cruise too.

Thanks for bringing this subject up. I just never gave it much thought until I saw this thread.

Blue skies ...

--rita

My husband and I have our own equipment...question, do you really have to buy new gear after a few years as I say posted? Does the mask lose its seal or something?

SR

Keep the mask out of direct sunlight and away from high temps and the rubber should stay pliable and keep its shape for years.

Archived