How clean is snorkel gear????

Drumbum1977

When we snorkeled in Cabo, we took some advise from a fellow CC poster and brought those little disposable alchohol wipes to clean the mouth piece. I found them in the first aid section at the drug store. Believe me, all other 30 people on that boat were ENVIOUS! LOL

How clean do you think the snorkel gear is? We are going to swim with dolphins in Cozumel and are interested to know if and how they clean them?

Basically, they use a solution of water and bleach (I asked what they used) and dip and rinse the equipment. After the Norwalk Virus hit a couple of years ago, we decided to buy our own equipment (1) because I know where it's been and (2) no problem with masks that don't fit. HTH

Lisa :)

How clean do you think the snorkel gear is? We are going to swim with dolphins in Cozumel and are interested to know if and how they clean them?

Hi!

All of the above is why I carry my own mask (prescription and could never count on the operator having one that was close anyway) and snorkel. I use the operator's fins and vest (required).

Have a great cruise!

Hi to all;

You can buy good mask and snorkel sets at West Marine stores. There are stores all over the country and Canada. Cost is from $15.95 on up and they carry youth sizes also, which is what my wife uses. Go to http://www.westmarine.com to find the store nearest you.

They are good for about 3-4 years, and then we give them to some local kids on our last cruise.

(Disclaimer: I am a part time employee;-)))

Fair winds

Dave

Drumbum

If you don't wish to buy your own gear, in addition to bringing alcohol wipes for the mask, dive shops sell latex mouthpiece covers. They are meant for rented regulators, but would work on a snorkel. They are a few dollars each and easy to pack and throw away when done.

My wife and I used snorkel gear in Cozumel and my wife got really sick afterwards. She had a sore throat and fever for the better part of two weeks. :mad: We will never get the "tour operator" snorkel gear again. We will always bring our own.

The only proper way to sterilize the snorkel gear is to use something like a quaternary ammonium compound (LYSOL) or use a strong anti-bacterial agent. Alcohol wipes will improve the surface cleanliness of the snorkel slightly, but will have very little disinfecting impact. The colony count on your snorkel after wiping it with alcohol will be smaller, but not greatly. The alcohol wipes will make you feel like you've done something though. :)

We use equipment we bought at the local sporting goods store and we take it along. It takes up room in the luggage, but if you're gonna snorkel, its the only way to go.

I do like the idea, however, of using the disposable stuff from the Dollar Store. That's not a bad idea!

We used the excursion snorkel gear the one time we snorkeled and it really gave me the creeps. Since we are planning to snorkel at every stop on our next cruise, I purchased a complete companion set from snorkelcity.com for us for Christmas. Great quality and feel much better about using our own instead of the tour operator. At least I know where it's been!

I have my own equipment. Clean, doesnt leak, fits, comfortable and I trust it. I bought my mom cheap equipment from Walmart and all it did was leak and she couldnt see a thing. Go to a dive store where you can get a proper fit etc. Linda

Hi to All....

I will throw in with my two cents. I bring my own gear. I use bleach water solution to sanitize (100 ppm, for those who know, about 2 Tbsp per 1 qt Water). I also like the snorkel with the water seal, as I HATE saltwater going down my tube and dislike having to blow out the water after I dive to see the deeper fish .....Dennis

My husband and I have our own equipment...question, do you really have to buy new gear after a few years as I say posted? Does the mask lose its seal or something? We only snorkel a couple of times/year and sometimes skip a year in between.

Thanks

SR

Archived