Does anyone have any experience doing the Dolphin Encounter with a little one?

AJI2596

I will be going next year and we will be doing the Dolphin Encounter with my almost 5 yr old but I also wanted to do it with my 2 yr old. The encounter not the swim.

Does anyone have any experience with doing this excursion with a 2 yr old?

TIA:D

We did it with kids 4, 6 and 10. And I have to tell you, it was a bit more challenging than I had thought. The thing is, you HAVE to stand in ONE specific spot on the platform...too far one way and the dolphins don't know where you are (to interact with you)/you can't reach them, too far forward and you're in the direct path of the 1000+ pound dolphins. In combination with the fact you're required to wear life jackets (which makes it tough bc you're fighting the jacket's floating when all you want to do is STAND there) and the constant waves pushing at your back (while still trying to stay in the ONE specific place). It ended up that thankfully I had some friendly and helpful strangers next to me who held on to the fence with one hand and the back of my lifejacket with the other, to anchor me to the fence, LOL.

So, in a nutshell, I probably wouldn't have the 2 YO participate, but that's just me.

We did it in Cozumel with our 3 kids, age 10, 6 and almost 2. My dh and I just took turns handing our almost 2 y.o. back and forth. He hated the lifejacket but once we got in the water he was fine. We loved it....and especially loved that our younger 2 kids were FREE! We also love Chankanaab ...it is a beautiful park!

My 2 cents its a very pricey kodak moment as any younger child might squeal with delight but 10 years later won't remember or appreciate the experience. I'm sure parents will enjoy it as they must given what we spent :eek:

I did pop for a touch experience with my boys a few years ago. Simply wasn't ready to pay for the swim experience. They were unanimous in that we got ripped off. I just shrugged my shoulders. The nice thing, we were too cheap to pay for pictures so don't have memories of that kodak moment so they will soon forget and I will forget about the moneh spent too :D

That being said I know next time the opportunity arrises I would do it with my kids. I really think this is a more appropriate excursion for those 7 or older as when they are much younger they can neither appreciate or really remember; YMMV.

We did the dolphin encounter at Atlantis in Nassau with my 4, 6 and 9 yo.

The water where you stand to interact with the dolphin was too deep for my 4 yo. He had to sit on a parent's knee.

We did not have any natural currents to deal with but there was enough water movement just from the dolphin's swimming to make standing on your knees a bit unstable. If whoever was holding the 4 yo lost balance, then we'd have a slightly frightened 4 yo. We were in wetsuits but not life vests so it was slightly less awkward to move around.

My son was very timid and not really into participating much in the encounter. We got a few nice pictures and he talks about it fondly like he enjoyed it. Any younger though and he'd barely have remembered it.

I would not have done it at 4 years old if he were my only child. But, I can't keep telling my 9 year old that we aren't going to do stuff because his brother is too young to remember it or fully participate.

If you want to spend that kind of money, I'd take the $150 or $200 per person and do a helicopter tour or something else. Save the dolphin thing for a later trip.

We've done it a couple of times, once with an almost 2 year old (she was free in Chankanaab) and once with a 3 year old in Tortola. The kids LOVED it, and I mean it. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

You better believe it! :D My youngest was 2 when we did the Unexo Freeport Bahamas Dolphin Encounter.

Loved it! And no, she probably doesn't remember that one. But I do. I cherish the pictures I have from this. They are some of my favorite. I took a waterproof digital camera with me.

Cruise-06-GabDolphin.jpg

Thank you all so much for your replies!! We won 2 Dolphin Encounters when we are in port in Nassau so I thought it is def worth it for my almost 5 yr old (his birthday is the same month and he will be 5) but I don't even know if I have to pay full price for my 2 yr old DD.

I am just worried that it will take away from our experience for my DS because I might be so focused on DD not drowning or something.

Thank you all again! :)

Thank you all so much for your replies!! We won 2 Dolphin Encounters when we are in port in Nassau so I thought it is def worth it for my almost 5 yr old (his birthday is the same month and he will be 5) but I don't even know if I have to pay full price for my 2 yr old DD.

I am just worried that it will take away from our experience for my DS because I might be so focused on DD not drowning or something.

Thank you all again! :)

Well... I have good news for you...

According to the Dolphin Encounters website, for the encounter rules:

http://www.dolphinencounters.com/programs-closeencounterrules.php

Guests age 3 or younger participate for free if accompanied in the program by a responsible, paying adult with a ticket for the encounter. Parent or guardian must be at least 18 years of age.

So all you have to do is inform them, but the decision becomes easier... because free is an easy decision.

Your daughter can go free!!!

• 2 months later...
You better believe it! :D My youngest was 2 when we did the Unexo Freeport Bahamas Dolphin Encounter.

Loved it! And no, she probably doesn't remember that one. But I do. I cherish the pictures I have from this. They are some of my favorite. I took a waterproof digital camera with me.

Cruise-06-GabDolphin.jpg

Cute picture! Not to hijack the thread but I'm trying to find out the beach/island you went to in the Bahamas that was so beautiful..I can't find the thread.:confused:

I took my 2.5 swimming with the dolphins on a trip to Ixtapa. It was a special program designed for kids. It was with Delfiniti and it was an excellent program. It was different from other swims in that we had to swim the whole time. (We did not stand on a platform.) They even had the dolphin get out of the water so the kids could feed him. I'm sure my son won't remember it except through the pictures, but I will and it was a great experience.

We did the Dolphin Encounter with our kids a few years back and they LOVED it. You are also able to purchase a DVD of the experience, so they never have to forget it! Try it, I am sure your family will have a blast! :)

Archived