Would you get a hotel?

cmp137

We will be sailing out of Galveston on a Monday in November. We live in Dallas (5 hour drive). I am a little worried about the traffic, so I am considering a hotel in Galveston. Do you think we would be okay if we left at 6am from Dallas on Monday morning or should we get a hotel in Galveston? TIA

Our first cruise was out of Norfolk (4 hour drive). We left early, but still got stuck in traffic which turned the 4 hour drive into almost 6 hours. DH was very tired when we arrived since he did all the driving.

Last year, we cruised out of Baltimore (4 hour drive). We left the day before and stayed at a hotel with park and cruise package. It's almost the same rate as parking at the pier, and you are well rested for embarkation. :)

Personally?,, I'd get the hotel room. I'm not on vacation until I check in to the hotel. I couldn't imagine the stress and excitement I'd be going thru all weekend waiting for 6AM on Monday morning. Also just the added stress of getting in the car at 6AM on Monday morning and my prayers starting,, Please God,, no traffic accidents, no flat tires, no check engine lights etc,etc.

I always drive down from Dallas a day early. But I love hanging out in Galveston

We stay at the Howard Johnson's just off the highway on Harborside the cost of the room (usually around 65 bucks) is offset by free cruise parking.

We take a taxi to the ship which is around $15 for 2 of us. We always get to the pier around 10:30 and are on the Lido having lunch by 11:30.

We will be sailing out of Galveston on a Monday in November. We live in Dallas (5 hour drive). I am a little worried about the traffic, so I am considering a hotel in Galveston. Do you think we would be okay if we left at 6am from Dallas on Monday morning or should we get a hotel in Galveston? TIA

I always leave a day early. For some reason I just cannot get through Houston without sitting in a traffic jam on I45.

I live in SA and have cruised out of Galveston before. I actually left 2 days early but only because I wanted to spend the night in Houston and then one night in Galveston...but those who didnt come to Galveston the night before got caught in a massive traffic jam on highway 45 south of Houston and several missed the ship. This was on a Saturday! I have never traveled 45 from Dallas to Galveston so I cant tell you about the traffic you will encounter - but I know Houston is usually pretty bad. I would leave the night before and get a hotel....just in case.

We live about the same distance from our home to New Orleans and we ALWAYS drive in the night before.

We walk on the ship rested and no stress!!!

I also live near Dallas as you can see. I usually got up at 5 am and left by 5:30 am so to park at EZCruise by 10:30. ..but now I get a hotel.

There are cheap hotels and other choices that have free parking, just get a taxi. Howard Johnson's has free parking and shuttle from the lot across the street for $5 pp each way. Econo Lodge is a better location, over by the beach (I love walking the beach) for only about $40 and has free cruise parking. We did quality Inn and suites beachfront for $45 last time and got a free upgrade.

Check gulf port departures for hotels ...lots of them have free parking. Why tire youself and then you will miss the late night shows on the ship the first night you will be so tired.

All depends on your budget. I have done both. Never had a problem either way. The cost of a hotel that offers free cruise parking does offset the cost of terminal parking, but you still have food and entertainment costs on that extra day. Going a day early is a lot more fun. Holiday Inn on Seawall Blvd (next to San Luis) offers free cruise parking and offers a free shuttle to and from the ship.

Have a great cruise!

We live in Fort Worth and stayed in Houston the night before our cruise. We had a relaxed morning and arrived in Galveston with plenty of time to spare. It was nice spending the extra day on vacation and having a more relaxed morning on the first day of the cruise. We also had our 2-year old with us, so staying the night before was more important so she would be well-rested.

Hi All :)

We live in WNY so we always have to fly. We always fly the day before to be safe, but also for the fun day in the port city. We always try to book a hotel overlooking the port with a room that overlooks our Ship in the morning. There is just somrthing exciting about waking up on cruise day and seeing our ship in port waiting for us!!! :)

So even if we were a 4-5 hr. drive we'd go the day before!

BOB :)

We've done both and find getting in a day early and relaxing is so much lee stressful. Plus, when DW realizes she forgot something thers a chance to pick it up before the cruise.

The last 2 cruises the hotel with breakfast and shuttle has been slightly LESS than just paying to park.:D

I think that even with a drive, it'd be worthwhile to go early and stay the night before. I fly into port and love getting there early, even if it's a flight that gets in late the night before, so that I can get a decent night's sleep, have some fun before the cruise and be rested for embarkation day. Personally, I have difficulty sleeping the night before I leave on vacation so once I get there, I can sleep perfect!

Good call. 6am from DFW puts you in 'Monday 9:30am Morning Traffic'. And in November... Without any wrecks or weather, that is still at least one hour plus to get to I45 south and out of Houston...Plus the driver is now beat and still has to handle luggage and standing in line, etc.

Like others have mentioned, even with only have around a 5 hour drive (to Charleston, but this still applies) we're heading down a day early just in case of unexpected delays (traffic jam, flat tire, etc.). Would hate to miss the ship because we were stuck in traffic.

I live on the other side of Houston from Galveston - about a 90-minute drive with no traffic. We are leaving on our cruise on a Sunday, so we'll drive in that morning with no problems. If I were going on a Monday, though, I might even consider getting a hotel in Galveston. That 90-minute drive could easily turn into a much longer one!

Archived