What are your HAL "must eat" recommendations?

tcv cruiser

It was right in the middle, if I recall correctly. There was a sign there for it. Seems to me there was a waiter there every day passing it to people and they only had a few at a time, but no one had to wait.

hope this helps :D

Still puzzled.....how do they keep it from melting since it's made from ice cream?

Darn, I'm sad to hear that. I could say then I will be be virtuous and avoid dessert, but I'm sure I will still order it and hope I luck out. Are there standard dessert items on the menu every night in case you don't want to try the ones offered on the regular menu - like ice cream or flourless chocolate cake?

You can get ice cream every night but usually certain flavors that they have that day. I would imagine that you can get something like vanilla every night. You can't get the flourless chocolate cake every night ...although someone will probably say they could. It used to be to die for but now tastes like a really bad muffin. I know lots of other have said it was great.....but I haven't found it to be. That said, when I used to bake a lot I was a pretty good baker so my expectations of what is good may differ from others. You think I would stay away from the sweets but I still slug my way through:D. I keep hoping something will change.

And the chilled fruit soups at dinner. I order them with my dinner but ask that they hold them for my dessert. As others have said the desserts these days are pretty bad so I just enjoy my chilled soup as my dessert! It allows me to have a hot soup or a salad as a second course.

The very best thing is not having to do the dishes! :)

Rebecca

What a great idea! One of the things I enjoy most about cruise dining is the wonderful assortment of soups. I agree that the desserts usually look better than they taste, but I tend to feel obligated once I have one in front of me. :eek:

I'll definitely give the fruit-soup-as-dessert a try. Thanks!

What a great idea - fruit soup for dessert - will definitely go that route.

Lorekauf - what a perfect description for the new flourless chocolate cake!! ugh - on our last cruise we ended up leaving before dessert - which was better for us, but disappointing. At least Dh got his bread pudding at lunchtime.

One lady also said that she orders the fruit appetizer and sets it aside for dessert - if you order the fruit plate for dessert you get very little on that plate.

now that's a smart idea. I usually indulge in their cheese tray at desert time and even if I get desert, I also get the cheese tray and share with my table mates.

One thing HAL does very well is their red meat and lamb. The only time I eat a lot of meat is when I sail HAL. It is just about always delicious.

The Cream of Five Onion soup for lunch in the Pinnacle Grill is hands-down the best soup we've ever eaten anywhere. Also - love the chocolate volcano cake there as well.

All of the chilled soups in the MDR are wonderful. The lobster thermidor we had on the Oosteram last November was great. And the escargot are absolutely delicious, as has been stated numerous times.

The croissants just melt in your mouth. In fact we enjoy all of the breads/pastries on HAL! (too much, probably!)

The Penne alla Vodka in the Canaletto is our favorite there for dinner, and the antipasto they serve as an appetizer is a "must" as well.

Making my mouth water just typing this......:p

we judge a cruise ship line by their osso bucco and HAL makes one of the best ones..rich flavors ,good wine base,lovely polenta..sometimes they only serve it for lunch so u have to watch for it.. in the late 90's princesses had the best ..but since carnival took over, food on princess is really fehhh...oh also lamb shanks on HAL is hubby fav..tender and tasted like a nice long simmer. it rivaled some of san frans italian north beach restaurants!! try them u will be a fan too~KC

ps in the 90's HAL had the best desserts and pies so im kinda sad they arent as delish as the good old days. one was a mocha choco graham crust cappachino mousee with a thin layer of dark chocolate with whip cream topped pie oh my goodness as u can see i still remember it..it was a alaska cruise ryandam i think LOL

Archived