Insurance for College Student

Would like to take a cruise in the spring of 2011. Have a child in college. We believe that he will be finish in the fall but what if he needs another class or 2. Is there an insurance that we could get if he has to cancel because of college classes?

I can't say that I've seen a policy that specifically addresses school conflicts. I would think that you would need a policy that includes "cancel for any reason" coverage which would indeed cover that situation.

You need to check policies with that provision carefully though. Not all will reimburse 100% of the cost, and many have time limits on purchasing that particular coverage.

Would like to take a cruise in the spring of 2011. Have a child in college. We believe that he will be finish in the fall but what if he needs another class or 2. Is there an insurance that we could get if he has to cancel because of college classes?

It seems like you'll know well in advance of the cruise final payment when penalties kick in what his situation is. I'm not seeing much need for any kind of insurance for this possibility.

It depends on when you'll know. If he won't know until December 2010 if he needs to take classes starting in January, you'll need insurance. If you'll know by the end of the summer, you don't. (Just don't buy air tix until you know.)

If you do need the insurance, you need a "Cancel for Any Reason" rider. Often the rider included with cruise-provider policies will give you a 75-100% Cruise Credit. 3rd-party policies will give you 50-75% in cash, and will charge extra for the rider. However, usually 3rd-party policies are more comprehensive overall.

SirWired

Archived