St. Mark's in Venice

retina60

We went on own in late afternoon,but it was 2 yrs ago, so maybe changed....but had no time limit that was posted or told to us..will be there in 3 wks and will have to check out if something has changed....can check their website,or under Italy,Venice tourism on google....hope its not like Sistine Chapel now....:confused:

Well, what it actually says on the official website is: 'The visit inside the Basilica lasts about 10 minutes.' That's a bit vague - does it mean you are only allowed inside for 10 minutes or is that the time the average person stays? It's some years since I went, but I seem to recall that it was extremely crowded and visitors were directed round a specific route. so maybe they just keep people moving at a fast pace so that everyone has a chance to get in! Perhaps someone who's been more recently can shed some light.

If St. Mark's Basilica is as beautiful as cathedrals I have already been to and its visitors are allowed to take pictures inside I will definitely be in there longer than 10 minutes if I can. It only takes 10 minutes if you are just walking through nonstop without a camera, not if you are like me and want to photograph every ornate detail inside and out.

If St. Mark's Basilica is as beautiful as cathedrals I have already been to and its visitors are allowed to take pictures inside I will definitely be in there longer than 10 minutes if I can. It only takes 10 minutes if you are just walking through nonstop without a camera, not if you are like me and want to photograph every ornate detail inside and out.
Photography is not allowed.

Rick

I've read that you're only allowed 10 minutes in St. Mark's Basilica. I find these hard to believe, Does anyone have any experience with this ?

Dan

st

From the official web site http://www.basilicasanmarco.it/BSMjesusFlashEng.bsm

Opening times

The visit inside the Basilica lasts about 10 minutes.

Visitors are recommended to respect the sacred place, in particular:

- Clothes be appropriate for a place of worship;

- You cannot enter the basilica with luggage. Luggage must be deposited in Ateneo San Basso (Piazzetta dei Leoncini - in front of the Gate of Flowers, north façade);

- Photos and filming are forbidden;

- Loud explanations are not allowed, the use of earphones is permitted.

Archived