Costa maya tours

Our friends are traveling to Costa Maya on the "Dream" June 28th. Does anyone know of tour guides that are on the islands and that would have a better deal then the cruise ship to see the Ruins? They may also want to visit the beach and pool area and I'm not sure how far that is away from the dock.

Please help me with any information you are aware of.

Thank You!!!

Wish I could say a lot of good things about CM....

Hurricane Dean wiped out CM almost to the ground back in 08. As you approach the port, you will see a lot of dead mangroves and trees - but you will also see the new growth too. I have included a couple of pix from my 08 trip. The port is brand spanking new and so is the pier. The pier to shore from the ship is LONG but they have a transport "train" that will take you to and back. The port is wonderful! Again - brand new - the pool is amazing, the shopping is a lot of the same stuff as Majahaul, the food... There are hammocks, and a limited beach area (the sand had been trucked in) And the color....Very vivid Mexico. This is where my accolades end for this port. The first sign that something was amiss was the armed guards everywhere. In boats - on the dock - in port. Well, at least someone toting an AK-47 will keep me safe, right?!

We were one of the first ships back to port after an absence of nearly 11 months. Economically, the residents here were without a source of income and those that couldnt tough out the re-build, moved on. And those that stayed were desperate for income - and understandably so. BUT....I have never been to a port where the people were so terribly pushy, rude, name calling and downright rotten - we were so uncomfortable, we left as quickly as we could. A simple no thank you was not adequate. I like my personal space, and when someone gets in my face close enough to smell the tequilla and see the missing teeth, I'm sorry - thats a little close for me. And I have never been called names for not going into someones store....then that person yelled down the sidewalk to some others something in native tounge...we decided that was the end of our welcome. I did spend some time emailing the Majahaul governing entity as they knew they had a problem, and were trying to rein in some control. Please note - not everyone had the same encounter that we did, but many did. If you leave the safety of the Pier fortress, you are venturing into a completely different world. There are police and guards everywhere - and the poverty and remnants of hurricane destruction are disheartening.

On a side note - the beach area of Majahaul was restored wonderfully - beautiful beach restoration, some nice tilework. The beach seemed to be very gentle sloping and we saw several small children playing with shovel and pails while the adults sat at an umbrella covered table, eating - drinking - and enjoying the sun. We took a bus excursion through Carnival to some Mayan Ruins - it was hot, humid and lots of bugs...but that was only a minor inconvenience to the spectacular awakening of another world. Stay close to your guides - they have a LOT of information! We were also given time to explore on our own.

Its been nearly two years since we were there, but I wont make this a port I WANT to return to - I understand circumstances sometimes dictate extreme outcomes, but just be prepared. Im under the assumption that the Majahaul governing body has tried to put a kabash on the "in your face/space" encounters as they have police there that watch for that behavior.

1316801045_CostaMayaPictures-16.jpg.54c82ecfe8701b0c5083454c695dc34d.jpg

995037438_CostaMayaPictures-18.jpg.295db5b27fb3a907a2cc291f7b2485fd.jpg

1583368881_CostaMayaPictures-13.jpg.28f05b5d16ec568a5d21896997581669.jpg

968361988_CostaMayaPictures-22.jpg.e04338784a76f95e53965ea919cd5ed5.jpg

1275723522_DigitalPictures-35.jpg.1a8347860191c1f0d7c164bef409bf73.jpg

Went to Costa Maya on the Voyager of the Seas in April. We took at bus to the town of Mahajual for $3 each. We found a nice spot to sit for $10 for the day and enjoy a $25 massage and cheap drinks and lunch at the National Beach Club I think it was. It was magical. We took a $5 taxi ride back to the ship. Costa Maya was one of the best days of our lives. Sad that many ships are dropping it because there's isn't much to do, but that is the beauty of it for us. Hope to go there again.

Costa Maya is my family's favorite port for a beach .....Half Moon Cay is not bad either:D The pool is right at the end of the dock with all the shops.....pool is huge...free and very nice with swim up bar but the beach right at the port stinks. Take a taxi to Majhaul its to the left of the port looking in from the ship and is only a 5 minute taxi ride....very cheap. The beach is beautiful and has lots of bars and such with massages.....last time i was there we paid $1.00 a beer and $2.00 for shots of Tequila. I wouldn't miss that beach for ruins anyday....just my feelings.:)

Jetskis available also and we paid just $80.00 for 2 of them for a hour thanks to our bartender on the beach who walked down to the jetskis and negotiated the price for us....awesome beach with real Mexican shops!

Our friends are traveling to Costa Maya on the "Dream" June 28th. Does anyone know of tour guides that are on the islands and that would have a better deal then the cruise ship to see the Ruins? They may also want to visit the beach and pool area and I'm not sure how far that is away from the dock.

Thank You!!!

Pez Quadro is a really nice place to go if you just want a nice beach, unlimited drinks, chair, shade, etc.

Check out www.costamayacruiseexcursions.com. They have a few other beach excursions and offer a few excursions to the ruins as well. Island Marketing is the company. I've used them with no problems in the Bahamas, Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Costa Maya.

Thank You!!!

x2 for nativechoice to see the ruins...it's been a while since marci4tony was there and she'd be surprised at the new developments. Costa Maya port area is one of those "a little bit of everything you'd want" places with a pool and bars and shops. The town of New Mahahual (Las Casitas) has a growing array of shops too. the old Mahahual village is getting an overabundance of restaurants, shops, and "resort" places.

Pez Quadro is a really nice place to go if you just want a nice beach, unlimited drinks, chair, shade, etc.

Ditto for Pez Quadro! My favorite place in the world! Sitting in a swing with a Pina Colada in each hand - and the food id good too.

We used http://www.thenativechoice.com/ on our Glory trip last year and I must say our tour guide David did a fantastic job. I would highly recommend them.

As the previous poster noted there is a lot of reviews over there, or search for Costa Maya tours.

Ivan and David run a fantastic tour...they actually grew up playing amoung the ruins before it was closed off a s historic site.

We were on one of the first ships to visit CM afterr Dean as well and I do understand where Marci4tony was coming from with her description of the ``in your face'' vendors at the time.

However, have been back to Costa Maya 3 times since and am impressed at the difference in how the vendors converse with pax now. Visited CM twice before Hurricane Dean and believe the vendors are even less pushy than they were prior to Dean.

DH & I aren't beach people but we love to sit under an umbrella at Tapas restaurant/bar in Majuahal with a cold drink and look out to the blue/green waters of the beach. Totally relaxing and an event I hope we can both enjoy together again and again and again.:cool:

Dianne

Im glad there has been improvement - I suspected there would be because I had numerous emails between myself and the "commerce management" for months afterwards. Sadly, there are many other places on my bucket list to visit! I live within a couple hours of Yellowstone park - and someone that saves money to go camp in the park has a bad experience up here probably wont come back either. Its just the nature of tourism, I'm afraid.

The Port - however - was all one would ever need! That pool was great:cool: Clean - safe - shopping.

PS - we purchased 3 items in Maj that were probably 40% higher than "the port for the same items" - so the theory of shopping in town for a better deal was also proven false. (back then)

We went to Chacchoben with David and Ivan (The Native Choice) before Hurricane Dean, and it was one of the best cruise excursions we've ever taken. After we visited the ruins, we went to Chacchoben village for lunch with a Mayan family. My sons still bring pictures into Social Studies classes.

Wish I could say a lot of good things about CM....

Hurricane Dean wiped out CM almost to the ground back in 08. As you approach the port, you will see a lot of dead mangroves and trees - but you will also see the new growth too. I have included a couple of pix from my 08 trip. The port is brand spanking new and so is the pier. The pier to shore from the ship is LONG but they have a transport "train" that will take you to and back. The port is wonderful! Again - brand new - the pool is amazing, the shopping is a lot of the same stuff as Majahaul, the food... There are hammocks, and a limited beach area (the sand had been trucked in) And the color....Very vivid Mexico. This is where my accolades end for this port. The first sign that something was amiss was the armed guards everywhere. In boats - on the dock - in port. Well, at least someone toting an AK-47 will keep me safe, right?!

We were one of the first ships back to port after an absence of nearly 11 months. Economically, the residents here were without a source of income and those that couldnt tough out the re-build, moved on. And those that stayed were desperate for income - and understandably so. BUT....I have never been to a port where the people were so terribly pushy, rude, name calling and downright rotten - we were so uncomfortable, we left as quickly as we could. A simple no thank you was not adequate. I like my personal space, and when someone gets in my face close enough to smell the tequilla and see the missing teeth, I'm sorry - thats a little close for me. And I have never been called names for not going into someones store....then that person yelled down the sidewalk to some others something in native tounge...we decided that was the end of our welcome. I did spend some time emailing the Majahaul governing entity as they knew they had a problem, and were trying to rein in some control. Please note - not everyone had the same encounter that we did, but many did. If you leave the safety of the Pier fortress, you are venturing into a completely different world. There are police and guards everywhere - and the poverty and remnants of hurricane destruction are disheartening.

On a side note - the beach area of Majahaul was restored wonderfully - beautiful beach restoration, some nice tilework. The beach seemed to be very gentle sloping and we saw several small children playing with shovel and pails while the adults sat at an umbrella covered table, eating - drinking - and enjoying the sun. We took a bus excursion through Carnival to some Mayan Ruins - it was hot, humid and lots of bugs...but that was only a minor inconvenience to the spectacular awakening of another world. Stay close to your guides - they have a LOT of information! We were also given time to explore on our own.

Its been nearly two years since we were there, but I wont make this a port I WANT to return to - I understand circumstances sometimes dictate extreme outcomes, but just be prepared. Im under the assumption that the Majahaul governing body has tried to put a kabash on the "in your face/space" encounters as they have police there that watch for that behavior.

We had the same problems in 2007:( Horrible experience. We are going again next week and are trying the native choice, I hope we have a different experience this time.

Archived