Increasing violence in Mexico

bby31288

With the increasing violence in Mexico, I am wondering if anyone is nervous about cruising there and getting off in Cozumel? I have cruised there before and loved PB. We are cruising Aug 2.

I just received an email from my security officer at work stating that we are not allowed to take personal leave to travel to certain parts of Mexico. Cozumel is not listed, but recently added was Cancun.

What are your thoughts?

Reports and posts earlier from ex-pats and residents on Coz indicate that the drug related violence on the mainland hasn't reached Cozumel. Cozumel is an island and is primarily devoted to tourists, bith cruisers and vacationers. Not to say they don't have crime or that the drug violence might reach them at some point. Just that the fears generated by the border situation and the drug wars aren't present in Coz yet.

PB Tom and others long term residents please chime in for updates.

I agree with the previous poster... Cozumel is an island and a 45min to 1hour ferry ride from Cancun, and the violence really hasn't gotten there.

I was extremely concerned about Cancun, especially with the allegations that the mayor of Cancun is/was involved with the drug trade, and more recently, the 6 bodies found in a cave (3 of which had their hearts cut out of their chest)

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gMi5B2USfJStXxfqgWWr2xjRYpOgD9G66ES00

I find that to be quite disturbing. I really hope the Mexican government steps up to do something about this violence since there are a lot of charming people in the tourist areas that depend on tourism for their livelyhoods. This increase in violence will hurt the local economy.

I would feel uncomfortable going on vacation in Cancun right now.

Cozumel understands that tourism is their bread and butter (and meat, potatoes and everything else) ....so they protect it accordingly.

Thank goodness they are an island and as such have a lot more control than any town in the mainland.....

We go several times a year without hesitation...

There should be no worry about cruising to and from Mexico. The drug cartels/gangs and the violence that comes along with them is isolated to most of the Mexican towns that are near the US border.

Cozumel's economy relies on tourism. Without tourists, it would be just another island in Mexico. There is no way the authorities or Mexican government for that matter would let the problem reach the tourist meccas that are Cozumel, Cancun and Costa Maya. Just won't happen.....

The border town's economies actually rely on money from the drug trade. This is a whole different ballgame...

There should be no worry about cruising to and from Mexico. The drug cartels/gangs and the violence that comes along with them is isolated to most of the Mexican towns that are near the US border.

Cozumel's economy relies on tourism. Without tourists, it would be just another island in Mexico. There is no way the authorities or Mexican government for that matter would let the problem reach the tourist meccas that are Cozumel, Cancun and Costa Maya. Just won't happen.....

The border town's economies actually rely on money from the drug trade. This is a whole different ballgame...

Google this - 6 bodies found in cave just outside of Cancun.

Just happened last week. 3 had their hearts removed. It is spreading from the border towns.

There are lots of bad things going on in the "not so good" neighborhoods of your hometowns every day. None of this involves tourists or the tourist areas, it involves only the backstreets and people involved in the drug trade. Keep out of the drug trade and enjoy your cruise and have fun in the sun in Cozumel.

Remember - 22 Million visitors a year to Mexico. None or almost none of the reported incidents you've heard about involve tourists or tourist areas. Yes, bad things happen regarding criminal rings, but bad things happen in this regard in every city in America, so nothing new there. These things you mention are not happening at the Ritz Carlton or on Carnival Cruise Lines, just as they are not happening at similar places in the States.

If there is a problem, the cruise lines will find a different port to call on. Look how bad things are in Jamaica but you never hear about tourists being accosted... except the frequent opportunities to obtain some ganja.

If there is a problem, the cruise lines will find a different port to call on. Look how bad things are in Jamaica but you never hear about tourists being accosted... except the frequent opportunities to obtain some ganja.

Look back a couple of years...I remember not too long before my cruise to Jamaica, there was a family taking a ship excursion in Jamaica, that were held up by machete (to their childs neck) and robbed..I seem to recall that the locals hunted them down and killed them, as they didnt want this to hurt the tourist trade. A lot of people wont get off there..I thought about for a second, but went, floated down the Martha Brae, and loved it!!

• 2 weeks later...
Cozumel's economy relies on tourism. Without tourists, it would be just another island in Mexico. There is no way the authorities or Mexican government for that matter would let the problem reach the tourist meccas that are Cozumel, Cancun and Costa Maya. Just won't happen......
Then why are they allowing it in Acapulco?

There is more violence and political unrest in Toronto than there is in Cozumel. While one can always find anecdotes from just about anywhere in the world, one needs to keep it all in perspective. It is more likely that you will fall victim to injury in your own bathroom, or that you will be killed in an automobile collision (40,000 fatalities per year in the United States), than you will fall prey to crime in Mexico.

Archived