Trip Insurance Help

Sue909

I put a deposit down on my trip in August with the travel agency with the gnome. I only booked it about a week ago with a deposit. Then, I was told I needed to call back today to give my balance and I asked if I could let them know then before final payment if I wanted trip insurance. She said yes. So I called yesterday to ask the same question. Still wasn't sure I wanted it or not so she said to think about it and call back the next day with my credit card info and decision about insurance. I didn't get her name.

So, I had on my list to call by noon today and put my balance down and say YES to trip insurance. However, when I got up and looked at my e-mails, it said my trip balance was paid.

So, I called right away and asked if it was indeed paid (so I don't forget and lose the trip) and also asked if I could add on the insurance and she put me on hold for a long time and said that I couldn't do it now that final payment was made. Guess they just automatically do it.

So, they suggested I use "insure my trip" website.

I went on it and am so confused by all the plans.

I just want the basic stuff. Can anyone tell me what they got for their trip? We have great medical coverage with my husband's work but I'm not sure what would be covered from that if something happened. We are going to Canada.

Thanks!

The Carnival Berkely Policy provides low Medical coverage, marginal MedEvac coverage and no "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions". The Policy DOES offer Future Cruise CREDIT if your claim is denied as due to a Pre-Existing Condition and now includes cancellation coverage for Hurricane Warning and Job Layoff. If you cancel your Cruise before final Payment, the Carnival Policy premium is refundable. Carnival and Berkely both claim that the Policy also covers your independently purchased AirFare. The Carnival Policy is less expensive than the 3rd party policies if you're age is in the 70’s, as Age is not factored into Carnival Berkely’s premium as it is with 3rd Party Policies.

The 3rd Party Trip Insurance Policies such as CSA, Travel-Ex and Travel-Insured offer much higher coverages and are much less expensive if you're younger. They generally offer "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" (which can expedite the claims process) if you purchase w/in 14-21 days of your Cruise Deposit; CSA allows you to purchase up to Final Payment and retain the Waiver. Otherwise, you can purchase Carnival Berkely Insurance up to 14 days before sailaway, and you can purchase most other policies practically up to sailaway. You MUST be physically fit to travel the day you purchase.

Most Policies are “Secondary” meaning that you have to first file claims with your own Health and/or Homeowners Insurance and be reimbursed/rejected by them, then the 3rd party Policy will pay what your insurance doesn’t pay (up to the limits of the policy). Primary Policies pay everything (up to limits of the Policy) without requiring you to first file and coordinate benefits with your personal policies, which can help expedite the claims process.

“Cancel for Any Reason” coverage is usually offered as an option, usually for additional 50% of the premium . It’s important to read the associated Policy as many policies do not pay 100% and many policies pay LESS the later you cancel. The Princess Berkely Policy offers 75% Cancel for Any Reason Future Cruise CREDIT.

You need to select a Policy at least somewhat based on your own situation/concerns (if traveling with kids, if prior medical conditions, if over age 70, if Military, if concerned about LayOff….:

TravelEx and TravelInsured insure kids free with insured adults.

USAA offers their members discounted (about 9%) Travel-Insured Policies with some expanded coverages.

TravelEX is PRIMARY and includes kids under 16 free and offers a Business/Military upgrade.

CSA Freestyle includes Cancellation for Layoff and for School Year Extension.

Patriot TRIP is PRIMARY coverage and includes Cancellation for Layoff, Cancelled Leave for Military, Fire & Police and Missed Cruise for Flight Delay.

TravelSafe includes Cancel for Hurricane Warning and Cancel for Any Reason (not always 100%).

You can compare Policies and Premiums for your specific age, destination, dates and cruise costs, at the Insurer's sites or at sites such as http://www.insuremytrip.com and http://www.buyamericaninsurance.com . Note that some Policies also have a $6 or $8 application Fee added-on.

If you're not into Research, checkout CSA Comfort and CSA Freestyle, and TravelInsured Trip Protector and AIG TravelGuard Premier Protect.

FIRST check your personal Health Plan for out-of-country coverage and your Homeowners and Credit Card for Trip Cancellation/Interruption & Baggage Loss/Delay coverage!!! (for example, World MasterCard includes Flight AD&D and Rental Car CDW, minimal Trip Cancellation/Delay and Baggage coverage, and Government Employee’s Blue Cross includes Out-of-Country Medical Coverage, via an out-of-country Provider Network. )

Always use independent third-party travel insurance. My TA uses Travel Guard and is priced by the price of the cruise instead of by age. BIG savings for me.

Never leave the US without it.

I highly recommend the Trip Insurance Store. The owner, Steve, is very knowledgeable and extremely friendly and helpful...exactly what I needed. He took the time to find out our needs and helped me pick out just the right insurance policy. I don't think you will find any better customer service anywhere! :)

carnival wanted to charge us $275 for the insurance :eek:.... i went on insuremytrip.com and got close to the same coverages for $75 :cool:

you need to decide what is most important in the insurance for you.... for us it was being able to cancel if our child became sick or if the weather was bad (traveling during hurricane season). also, emergency evac if the baby got sick while we were out there.....

we're not flying so the baggage thing wasn't a huge issue but it's pretty much offered in all plans.

just make sure that the coverages include weather -- and that if you cancel (for illness) it covers 100%

Archived