Camp Carnival

cruisegal96

If it wasn't safe, you would have heard about it in the news! Kids LOVE the club...the counselors are highly trained and screened....I've never heard of anything "untoward" on any of the ship's kid's clubs!

Take her...see how she likes it! Thousands of kids do it...yours will be fine.

Our 5 year old DD loved it, and it did feel very safe. On most Carnival ships, it's located on the top deck, very out of the way for other passengers and very secure - not really visible to passers-by and children can only be signed in or out by a parent, and they check your sign & sail cards as ID. There are also high gates at the entrance (which is always staffed). It's a large open area, so it's relatively easy for the counsellors to keep an eye on all of the kids at all times. They will also give you a pager (or cell phone on the newer ships) on request so they can reach you anytime DD needs you... I'd reccommend that you go to the orientation/open house on the first night, so you can explore the facility with your DD and meet the staff and have them answer any questions you may have, just to make sure you're both comfortable. On average, our DD went for about 2 hours a day - we would look at the schedule and let her choose the activities she was intersted in, and we always picked her up for mealtime, as I didn't like the idea of her going to the buffet with the camp - not because I didn't feel safe but more because she's a finicky eater who needs lots of encouragement

I felt the same way when I took our kids to the orientation on their first cruise. But, I did what everyone always says- talked to the counselors, looked at the rooms where the kids would be, and made myself comfortable with the idea. The kids love the activities and the counselors. Our 5 & 6yr olds (2 yrs ago on our Legend cruise) were at the "picky - I don't like anything" stage. I worried that would effect their opinion of the camp. Not at all - they would have rather been in camp than with Mom. Every counselor that has worked with my kids has been very friendly and informative.

I agree. We felt as comfortable with Camp Carnival as we do leaving the kids with childcare at the YMCA to workout every week at home.

Our son at age 3 was less comfortable but we have since figured out that was partially because some of the counselors have accents that were harder for him to understand and he was alone in the youngest age group while his sisters were together in the next group. So, he only went a few times.

The girls at ages 6 and 7 1/2 spent a ton of time at camp and did eat with camp on 2 of the nights. They didn't have anything bad to say about the staff or anything and have been asking to go back and even play "camp carnival" at home.

Thank you all for your info. I didn't know there was an orientation the first night, we will be sure & go to that & see what our daughter thinks & how we feel about it. We have been on several cruises & have always felt safe, but this is the first time we have brought her along & that changes everything. Looking forward to a relaxing short cruise this fall & a wonderful week long cruise next summer!!!!:)

Just came back from the Glory. My kids, 2 & 5 LOVED the "kids camp" as they called it. The counselors were great, they remembered the kids names and always acknowledged them when we saw them in other areas of the ship. Forget the maitre de, tip the counselors!!!! :D

My DD age almost 5 LOVES camp carnival!! She begs to go there. They do not allow any parent inside there, you drop off and pick up through a half door so no other parent can have contact with your child. They offer a family welcome aboard party the first night to meet the couselors and interact. They only go for a few hours at a time. I work in child abuse and am very cautious about others watching my children but have always felt safe on Carnival leaving my DD in camp. They give a pager or cell to contact you if needed or you can call them or stop by anytime.

Agree with everyone else. DS (2 1/2) LOVED "CAMP" and requested to go there. I was a bit nervous b/c this was the first time DS had been old enough to go in camp, and I had heard some negative experiences, although most people's experiences were very positive.

We missed the orientation (they schedule it during nap time since we're on west coast time... uggh), but I felt very comfortable with DS. He walked in and started playing and never looked back. Given that he chose to go back after that, it proves to me that he had fun. The counselors we had made a point to talk to me every pick-up about how much they enjoyed him, etc. That made me feel more involved.

Camp is very secure and they were very obsessive about checking my ID when picking him up, even when DS runs to me and says "MOMMY!!!!". Rooms looked clean and counselors are background checked and screened carefully.

Stacey

We are taking our daughter (5) on her first cruise later this year. I am not sure how safe I feel taking her to the camp carnival. I'm sure she would love some of the activities, but how do you know it is a safe?

You will know when you see it is very safe. Multiple counselors, so kids are never alone with just one. Age appropriate toys and activies. The counselors seem to really enjoy the kids and the kids have a blast.

Depending on your ship, the adult serenity area, or at least an open deck area with chairs will be right outside - and I know for sure on the Conquest Class ships, you can see into the Camp room from outside. 100% visibility pretty much guarantees safety.

Archived