Photo ID for teen is learners permit ok?

star65

So...If the child is in ELEMENTARY school (not a teen), a BC will suffice? Thats a little scary to me - no way to identify the child with no photo ID - but thats how I read the rules....?:confused:

Tx issues State ID for any age.

Passport/Passport Cards are also available...(and cheaper for 'kids' then adults)'

My kiddos always had State IDs, till they had Passports.

I just told them it was important to be able to produce proof of who you are.

He is 9 and we are in Idaho - I dont think he qualifies (last I heard) but I will check again. I do have a 15yo that will have her Idaho Drivers License, but from a prior marriage, has a different last name. Trying to find the FORM I need her sperm donor to fill out...

Any ideas? My TA is "on vacation" for a week or so...(think she went on a cruise herself!)

Wow! I wish Texas would do that. My 16 yo son and I booked a last minute cruise this past March. As soon as we booked it, I drove to the DPS to get him the state issued photo ID (his drivers instruction permit does not have a photo). They told us 4-6 weeks before he would get the ID in the mail.

I went to the passport office in Houston on a Tuesday and had the passport in hand on Thursday. The rush service was costly, but well worth it.

Apparently our dear 'ol Texas is behind in times. My passport took 2 weeks without being expedited, but when I got married and updated my driver's license it took about 5 weeks!

Apparently our dear 'ol Texas is behind in times. My passport took 2 weeks without being expedited, but when I got married and updated my driver's license it took about 5 weeks!

Yes, they give you the paper that shows the 'update' or change, but getting the DL back takes 'foreeverrrr'

(weeks)

PPs are coming quicker tho...

It looks to me like anyone under 16 does not need a photo ID.

From Carnival.com;

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the following WHTI compliant document:

Valid U.S. Passport

Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate

Certificate of Naturalization

Passport Card

Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)

Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card

A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests, including children 16 and over.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c-33.htm

since getting a permit requires the same proof of identity as getting a license or a non-license ID, it's a valid form of ID. as I said, my duaghters used their permits to fly in and out of JFK and LaGuardia several times and the TSA accepted their permits as valid ID.

FYI for those outside of NY -- the learner's permit looks exactly like a driver's license. unless you look for the words "permit" or license" you'd never know the dfference.

Thank you your link makes me feel much better because it states you can not have a non driver state ID if you have a learners permit. Going to print it out and bring it just in case.

Thanks again

Archived