Photo ID for teen is learners permit ok?

star65

While our kids have had passports since ages 4/7, we do not carry them off the ship. DD used to carry her learner's permit, which was definitely accepted as i.d. wherever we went. (it is a plastic card w/photo in NY) She also carried her high school i.d. Neither was ever really looked at.

From Carnival.com

Proper travel documentation is the responsibility of the guest and is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise. Guests traveling without proper documentation will not be allowed to board the vessel, and will not be refunded the cruise fare.

Documents must be presented at the time of embarkation. The following requirements are for all sailings, excluding Europe.

United States citizens need at least one of the following:

- A passport (valid or expired for less than 10 years).

- An original birth certificate and photo I.D.

- A state-issued certified copy of a birth certificate from the Department of Health and Vital Statistics and photo I.D.

- Original naturalization papers.

Nowhere does it mention that the ID has to be State issued.

I am going to print this out and take it with me for my 15 year old. He only has a student ID (we have a passport ordered but may not get here in time).

Crud, elsewhere on carnival.com....

CRUISE TRAVEL

Carnival Cruise Lines strongly recommends all of our guests travel with a valid passport. However, as of June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens embarking on a cruise that both originates and terminates at the same U.S. port are not required to have a passport, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) as well as a government-issued photo ID. Children are also required to bring proof of citizenship, and if 16 and over, a photo ID is also required.

Misinformation from Carnival? Who'd of thunk it?

Crud, elsewhere on carnival.com....

CRUISE TRAVEL

Carnival Cruise Lines strongly recommends all of our guests travel with a valid passport. However, as of June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens embarking on a cruise that both originates and terminates at the same U.S. port are not required to have a passport, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) as well as a government-issued photo ID. Children are also required to bring proof of citizenship, and if 16 and over, a photo ID is also required.

Misinformation from Carnival? Who'd of thunk it?

What misinformation? Lynda

If NY is anything like CT, a learners permit is def. state issued photo ID.....we had to go back to DMV twice because we did not have acceptable identification to be issued the ID (he scribbled on his SS card when he was 3, so the said it was "defaced" and could not be used as 1 of the several forms of id needed to get the permit).

What misinformation? Lynda

In one place it staes a 'photo ID' is required. In another it is a 'government issued photo ID'.

If I were to only read the first and show up with a student ID, which is a 'photo ID', they could deny it because in another place they state it has to issued by the government.

My state issued learner's permit looked just like a driver's license with the same identity requirements and would have been fine. If it's not, see if you can get a state isssued non driver id.

TigerStar, Since he's only 15, he isn't required to have id anyway. I'm a big believer in kids having state issued ids, either non-driver, permit or license, though, especially for travel because better safe than sorry.

My state issued learner's permit looked just like a driver's license with the same identity requirements and would have been fine. If it's not, see if you can get a state isssued non driver id.

TigerStar, Since he's only 15, he isn't required to have id anyway. I'm a big believer in kids having state issued ids, either non-driver, permit or license, though, especially for travel because better safe than sorry.

I agree with you, I was just hoping to help provide general info.

We have my son a passport ordered and hope it will be here BEFORE NEXT SUNDAY!~!!!!!! He was a late addition to our cruise so his PP wasn't ordered until Monday of this week.

I agree with you, I was just hoping to help provide general info.

We have my son a passport ordered and hope it will be here BEFORE NEXT SUNDAY!~!!!!!! He was a late addition to our cruise so his PP wasn't ordered until Monday of this week.

That is cutting it a bit close! Hopefully you have a second certified birth certificate just in case?

Here in Illinois the learners permit is just a piece of paper (at least it was when my daughter had one 3 years ago) and has no pic so wouldn't be good to use as an ID but State ID's with pics can be issued immediately when applied for at the DMV. No waiting for one to be mailed like in some states.

where in Illinois, where I am they get what looks like a license and states permit on them, picture and all,

Not liking what Iowa is doing now, they issue paper licenses and the hard one comes in the mail

We live in New York and my teenage son has used his learner's permit on our last two cruises. No problem.

I pray you are right because right now I am panicking!! Yes we live in NY and the learners permit looks just like a license with her picture on it and I believe signature. I don't think we have enough time to get a state issued ID. I don't know if it says anything about not being able to use for ID though! Going to call Carnival now to be certain!

We live in New York and my teenage son has used his learner's permit on our last two cruises. No problem.

yeah, here in NY it is considered ID...you submit all your informaiton to DMV when you get the permit, and they "upgrade" it to a license when you pass the road test. my kids used their permits as ID at the airport.

A learner's permit, which looks just like a license, with a picture, etc, is a state ID, and is acceptable. In order to get it, you need to have the same paperwork, as a license, since it is a step to getting the license. A picture id from a high school, or college is not an official state id and is not acceptable.

Actually, as others have said, it depends on the state. Each state has it's own system for licensing and providing identification. What flies in your state might not fly in the OP's or mine.

I pray you are right because right now I am panicking!! Yes we live in NY and the learners permit looks just like a license with her picture on it and I believe signature. I don't think we have enough time to get a state issued ID. I don't know if it says anything about not being able to use for ID though! Going to call Carnival now to be certain!

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c-33.htm

since getting a permit requires the same proof of identity as getting a license or a non-license ID, it's a valid form of ID. as I said, my duaghters used their permits to fly in and out of JFK and LaGuardia several times and the TSA accepted their permits as valid ID.

FYI for those outside of NY -- the learner's permit looks exactly like a driver's license. unless you look for the words "permit" or license" you'd never know the dfference.

That is cutting it a bit close! Hopefully you have a second certified birth certificate just in case?

Oh yes!

Georgia is good about getting BC's. I can get one in about 10 minutes at the local Health Dept.

We were in line in Miami last fall. They folks next to us 16 year did not

have a government issued id. Had a permit which had no photo on it. They

had a school ID of some sort. But they were not going let him board from

what we saw.

Public School ID with a picture *IS* considered Govt issued ID.

I don't know where you live but here in MO you can go to the Dept of Motor Vehicles and get a state issued ID on the spot. The machine makes it right there and then they hand it to you...cost around $10-$15...maybe your state does this also!

I don't know where you live but here in MO you can go to the Dept of Motor Vehicles and get a state issued ID on the spot. The machine makes it right there and then they hand it to you...cost around $10-$15...maybe your state does this also!

Wow! I wish Texas would do that. My 16 yo son and I booked a last minute cruise this past March. As soon as we booked it, I drove to the DPS to get him the state issued photo ID (his drivers instruction permit does not have a photo). They told us 4-6 weeks before he would get the ID in the mail.

I went to the passport office in Houston on a Tuesday and had the passport in hand on Thursday. The rush service was costly, but well worth it.

I should rephrase myself, in the state I live in (Texas) a permit is a piece of paper and it is legal to have both a permit and a photo id in my state. In my state a permit is also not a government issued photo id, therefor it will not be accepted by Carnival. I did not mention that because it had been mentioned in a previous post.

I also live in Texas and my 15yo has just received his permit and it is indeed a state issued photo ID. The license office gave a paper permit when he took the test but a photo permit came in the mail several weeks later.

So...If the child is in ELEMENTARY school (not a teen), a BC will suffice? Thats a little scary to me - no way to identify the child with no photo ID - but thats how I read the rules....?:confused:

Yes, if the child is under 16. If your uncomfortable with that, check with your state to find out what the minimum age (if any) for state-issued ID is, or apply for a passport.

Archived