Hotel in Montreal

Hi All,

DH and I will have only one day/night post-cruise in Montreal. We fly out very early the following morning. DH has never been to Montreal so we'd definitely like to do some sightseeing. We're on a budget I noticed that the hotels are much cheaper by the airport than by the port/in downtown. I'm a little afraid to book by the airport even though it would make it easier for the early morning flight because I'm worried that we'd spend half our day traveling to the hotel to drop off our luggage and then back into the city to see things, then back to the hotel. We don't have a huge amount of time so I want to make the most of it.

Does anyone have any suggestions either for affordable hotels (around $100 US) that are more in the center of things or for easy ways to get back and forth to the airport area? We are not renting a car. or is there a service where we can drop off our luggage for the day and pick it up before going to our hotel?

We're definitely open to any ideas about the best way to do this.

Thanks!

Hi 30scruiser. If you decide to stay near the airport, there are city buses that service the area, including an express bus from the airport to downtown for $7. Regular routes will take longer with a fare of $2.75 Here is a link for info on the express bus which runs 24hrs. a day.

http://www.admtl.com/passager/acces_et_stationnement/autobusSTM.aspx?langtype=1033

If you decide to stay in town, some friends recently stayed at the Hotel Dauphin on deBleury St. and were pleased with it and I believe it was in the $100 range This location is not far from Old Montreal as well as the downtown area. It is also not far from the express bus route back to the airport.:)

Hey Barrackman, That express bus is fantastic, it is just like the busses most cities in North America had in the past, but, are sadly long gone. It is always nice to use the service in Montreal with clean busses and friendly, helpful drivers.

OP, have you considered bidding on Priceline? I have done well in the past with rooms under $100 in Montreal, depending on the time period. Good bidding information can be found at www.betterbidding.com or www.biddingfortravel.com.

Hi All,

DH and I will have only one day/night post-cruise in Montreal. We fly out very early the following morning. DH has never been to Montreal so we'd definitely like to do some sightseeing. We're on a budget I noticed that the hotels are much cheaper by the airport than by the port/in downtown. I'm a little afraid to book by the airport even though it would make it easier for the early morning flight because I'm worried that we'd spend half our day traveling to the hotel to drop off our luggage and then back into the city to see things, then back to the hotel. We don't have a huge amount of time so I want to make the most of it.

Does anyone have any suggestions either for affordable hotels (around $100 US) that are more in the centre of things or for easy ways to get back and forth to the airport area? We are not renting a car. or is there a service where we can drop off our luggage for the day and pick it up before going to our hotel?

We're definitely open to any ideas about the best way to do this.

Thanks!

Okay, let's be realistic, here.....

It's about 45 minutes to the airport from downtown Montreal and more like 60 minutes during rush hour. And that's central bus station to airport, that still doesn't take you back and forth to your hotel. Basically if you pick a hotel, you will spend at least 4 to 5 hours going back and forth.

1. From the ship to the airport.

2. From the airport to the hotel

3. From the hotel to the airport.

4. From the airport to downtown.

5. From the downtown to the airport.

6. From the airport to your hotel.

So basically three trips to/from the airport and travel time, waiting time and transfer to you hotel. Might as well not even bother going back into town from the hotel. You will spend your day going back and forth on the 20 and 720.

It is $7 for a 24 hour pass that includes all the bus transfers on the STM.

Taxi to/from downtown is a flat $38.

As for a budget hotel in Montreal.... forget Old Montreal. It's some of the most expensive property in all of Canada, there is nothing cheap in Old Montreal. Basically in Montreal to get what you pay for. By taxi the airport except at rush hour is about 30 to 35 minutes. You need to be at the airport two hours ahead, since you go through US customs in Montreal.

I won't get into specifics regarding hotels because I'm an owner of a B&B and I am therefore biased.

We always look for a price that includes breakfast, and in some countries will consider a better value a hotel that includes a hotel transfer. You need to add these things in when looking for value. Some hotels also have free internet.

If you stayed near the port you might find a place close enough so you do not need to take a taxi and than you only need to get to the airport in the morning. Of course old Montreal will be more expensive but you might not be spending more than you think.

We always look for a price that includes breakfast, and in some countries will consider a better value a hotel that includes a hotel transfer. You need to add these things in when looking for value. Some hotels also have free internet.

If you stayed near the port you might find a place close enough so you do not need to take a taxi and than you only need to get to the airport in the morning. Of course old Montreal will be more expensive but you might not be spending more than you think.

Okay... let's just put that to the test.... Let's use a date in Mid-September, after the summer rush is over.... the 19th of September, just as an example....

Old Montreal (closest to port) and I'll look for the cheapest room in Old Montreal for a hotel (there are no B&Bs in any case, so no conflict of interest). Hotel Champs de Mars CAD$104 plus taxes, CAD$121.50 with taxes. Number 107 out of 165 hotels in Montreal (TripAdvisor) and with 61% say that they would never go again. But it does include free Breakfast. (And you couldn't pay me enough money to stay there...)

Embassy Suites at the edge of Old Montreal (I would say that it backs to Old Montreal). $142 plus taxes, CAD$165.36 total. Number 4 on TripAdvisor and 97% would go back. Close to Old Montreal but actually in the Downtown financial district, more expensive, includes breakfast, but certainly a much better deal.

Now, if I was really going to stay in Old Montreal, I would look at the Springhill Suites, which is a new building, so doesn't have old period charm. Or I would look at the St-Sulpice which has old period charm. But that's just me.

And again, remember that I'm not unbiased because I run a B&B in Montreal.

As far as I know, the NO hotels in Old Montreal or Downtown Montreal that offer a free shuttle to the airport.... checked the airports list... all are in and around the airport (St. Laurent) and a few as far as Pointe-Claire... in the opposite direction.

That might work in small towns, it doesn't in Montreal. And there is nothing around the airport. It's a residential neighbourhood. Even restaurants offer slim pickings around the airport.

Thanks for all the advice and for doing the math on the travel time back and forth. It looks like near the airport is not really an option.

I did try Priceline, but not much luck yet with naming my own price. Usually we would stay at a B&B most places we go, but since we'll be leaving so early and spending so little time at wherever we stay with an early flight and needing to get to the airport early for customs, it seems silly. I will definitely look into some of the places mentioned.

Again I really appreciate the input.

I like the location of the Springhill Suites. The Embassy Suites is more downtown (and more expensive).

Does anyone have an opinion on the Hotel Le Roberval? The WEB site looks pretty and the price is remarkably low at C$80 plus tax with free WiFi and breakfast. 505 Rene-Lavesque East http://www.leroberval.com

I like the location of the Springhill Suites. The Embassy Suites is more downtown (and more expensive).

Does anyone have an opinion on the Hotel Le Roberval? The WEB site looks pretty and the price is remarkably low at C$80 plus tax with free WiFi and breakfast. 505 Rene-Lavesque East www.leroberval.com

Being on the corner of Rene-Levesque and Berri, I would imagine that you will likely hear traffic all night including police cars and ambulances, if you have a room on the street side. The location is good, just on the edge of the village (which is NOT the place if you are extremely conservative, it's a Bohemian neighbourhood). Close to the metro. I would steer clear of the park on the corner of St. Catherine East and Berri... the park itself, not the metro station. It's a discount hotel chain, don't expect anything exceptional in the way of reception area.

As for B&Bs, many have two day minimums. The best are in the Plateau and the Village, with a few downtown. You are correct, not a good choice if you are here for a day and leaving early in the morning, anonymous hotels will serve you better.

As always, I must add the warning that I should be considered biased because I run a B&B in Montreal.

We are staying at the Hotel Nelligan pre-cruise. It is not a budget hotel but we were able to get a fully refundable room with superior view King and breakfast for $250.00 US per night with all taxes the last week of August. Our understanding is that we can walk to the port in the morning so do not have to pay for a taxi to the ship. There were cheaper rooms at this hotel including an interior room with non-refundable option which we do not like to do prior to our final payment date.

We also had the option of another hotel that we have stayed at before that was even less and included a full breakfast in Old Montreal. Neither have airport transfers but I was just using that as an example as it was part of a deciding factor in a booking in another city that we did yesterday.

The Nelligan is a fine hotel and it is in fact, very close to the port. I am surprised at the rate that you got, that is an excellent rate for that particular hotel. Current rate is CAD$245 or CAD$293 with all the taxes (we have three taxes on hotel rooms, incidentally.)

We are staying at the Hotel Nelligan pre-cruise. It is not a budget hotel but we were able to get a fully refundable room with superior view King and breakfast for $250.00 US per night with all taxes the last week of August. Our understanding is that we can walk to the port in the morning so do not have to pay for a taxi to the ship. There were cheaper rooms at this hotel including an interior room with non-refundable option which we do not like to do prior to our final payment date.

We also had the option of another hotel that we have stayed at before that was even less and included a full breakfast in Old Montreal. Neither have airport transfers but I was just using that as an example as it was part of a deciding factor in a booking in another city that we did yesterday.

The Nelligan is a fine hotel and it is in fact, very close to the port. I am surprised at the rate that you got, that is an excellent rate for that particular hotel. Current rate is CAD$245 or CAD$293 with all the taxes (we have three taxes on hotel rooms, incidentally.)

We were fortunate to book online and than find a lower price and receive a price match and refund. Original price we paid was $600.00 US for both nights. Again, it wasn't even the cheapest price but we took the King Superior with exterior view.

Glad to hear as a B&B owner that you like this hotel. My DH works in the industry so we are willing to spend a little more for our hotel stays and love old ones. As mentioned in a previous post we usually factor in whether breakfast is included as that can add up if it is $20.00pp etc.

We paid $72 CAD per night for Delta Montreal last year on Hotwire. We used Hotwire because we needed a room for 4.

Delta is often used by high school tours. Not always a problem in summer, but I wouldn't want to be there when they have hundreds of students working on their Model UN strategies, for example.

Our son is at university in Montreal and although we LOVE the Ste Sulpice (behind Notre Dame), it is pricey and we usually stay at the Hilton Bonaventure. It is attached via underground walkway to the Via train station across the street, it's a fairly easy downhill walk to Old Montreal, and it's a decent hotel for the price. (I'm not sure, but I think my son has taken the train out to the airport and then a shuttle) They also have lovely rooftop gardens and a pool deck -- not something I usually look for, but we just spent an afternoon around the pool bar, and it was heavenly!

Viv

Delta is often used by high school tours. Not always a problem in summer, but I wouldn't want to be there when they have hundreds of students working on their Model UN strategies, for example.

Our son is at university in Montreal and although we LOVE the Ste Sulpice (behind Notre Dame), it is pricey and we usually stay at the Hilton Bonaventure. It is attached via underground walkway to the Via train station across the street, it's a fairly easy downhill walk to Old Montreal, and it's a decent hotel for the price. (I'm not sure, but I think my son has taken the train out to the airport and then a shuttle) They also have lovely rooftop gardens and a pool deck -- not something I usually look for, but we just spent an afternoon around the pool bar, and it was heavenly!

Viv

There are two Delta hotels in Montreal, the Delta Montreal and the Delta l Centre-Ville. There are two very different locations. Delta Montreal is on President-Kennedy, just to the west of the main downtown core. Delta Centre-Ville is to the south of the core at the west end of the financial district. The financial district is a very odd place to be late at night and on the weekend... sometimes eerie as well. The Delta Centre-Ville is in some ways an island unto itself and you need to cross over to Place Bonventure to start seeing some activity. For me, Place Bonventure and the Hilton is very much the periphery of downtown Montreal, at the far south edge of downtown, at the far west edge of old Montreal.

But then again, what do I know, I live in the Plateau.... the fourth hippest neighbourhood in North America (according to Unte Reader). See http://www.utne.com/1997-11-01/hip-hot-spots.aspx

PS: As always, take my comments with the appropriate grain of salt since I am an innkeeper in Montreal.

My husband and I travel on a budget, and when visiting our son when he was studying in Montreal we would stay in hotels on Sherbrooke Street East near the metro station (Pie IX or Assomption). Do a search on Google maps and you will see many hotels here. Then you can hop on the metro to old Montreal, etc. This area is also close to the highway (Route 20) to get you to the airport in the morning.

My husband and I travel on a budget, and when visiting our son when he was studying in Montreal we would stay in hotels on Sherbrooke Street East near the metro station (Pie IX or Assomption). Do a search on Google maps and you will see many hotels here. Then you can hop on the metro to old Montreal, etc. This area is also close to the highway (Route 20) to get you to the airport in the morning.

That is very far for them and in the opposite direction of the airport. That's great for someone with a car, but not really for someone coming in to the port of Montreal and needing to get to the airport the next day. The taxi alone would be somewhere in the $70 to $80 range, since it's not in the fixed price zone.

Archived