Unable to get Bonine in Australia

Ozcruiser1

Hi I am taking a cruise out of Rome on HAL Noordam and I do get seasick. I am unable to purchase Bonine or Meclazine based med in Australia even unable to by online and ship to Australia. Can I purchase Bonine onboard or can I purchase in Rome?

all ships usually ( and i say usually because i am not familiar with hal ) have sea-sickness medicine at the pursers desk or from the dr. on board. but remember, if you get sea-sick the medicine doesnt really do any good. it is better too take it before you start cruising. i would try too get some from the ship right away when you get onboard and take it or ask your dr if he can give you something too take with you. i am prone too sea-sickness also and always take bonine the day before the cruise and for the next couple of days. good luck in getting something and have a great time.

Hi I am taking a cruise out of Rome on HAL Noordam and I do get seasick. I am unable to purchase Bonine or Meclazine based med in Australia even unable to by online and ship to Australia. Can I purchase Bonine onboard or can I purchase in Rome?

Don't know if this applies in Oz, but in NZ we can buy SeaLegs over the counter in pharmacies. They contain Meclozine. I never travel without them.

All over the counter sea sick meds are antihistamines, and all work same in the same sort of way. I understand your wish for Bonine, and only Bonine....I like it, too. But, rather than heading off to Rome without any meds, I'd pick up what's available there in Australia.

It may be cinnarizine, usually known as Stugeron. That's very popular in the U.K., and a lot of it's former colonies. We Canadians favour dimenhydrinate, called Gravol in Canada and Dramamine in the U.S. One acquaintance swears by cyclizine (Marezine).

Pills don't take much packing space, so pack *something* stronger than home remedies (but ginger doesn't take much space either, so throw it in too) then upgrade if you're able in Rome. Take SOMETHING before you board!

The last time I dipped into the free sea sick meds on HAL was almost a decade ago....but back then it was Bonine.

P.S. - Bonine is actually meclizine not meclazine. Don't mean to pick nits, but it could make a difference if you're doing a web search. And did you look for any of the other trade names, like Antivert or Dramaine II ?

http://www.curingseasickness.com/tradenam.htm

Confirm with your personal physician it is safe for you to take and if the answer is 'yes', go to HAL's Infirmary where they give meclizine to guests upon request. When seas are rough, I belive it might be available at the Front Desk. Just be sure it is safe for you before taking any medication.

It is my understanding HAL provides it free.

In the event you don't wish to take a chance, perhaps you could go to the Roll Call for your cruise and ask a Canadian or American member of your roll call to purchase some for you and you could reimburse them when they give it to you on the ship. If there is some rule or law which says you should not do that, of course, comply.

Have a great cruise...... Noordam is a gorgeous ship!!! HAL really 'did it right' with her.

I don't think 'the patch' is meclizine but is a different medication. Some folks report meaningful side effects from the patch while others use it with effectiveness and no problems.

Are you referring to: Transderm Scōp® patch (Scopolamine) ?

Archived