Waitlisted for MTD - questions

We (family of 4) are waitlisted for MTD - originally booked late sitting back in November and decided to change last week!! but the more I read this forum, I'm not so sure anymore :( People are able to reserve online for their MTD, obviously I cannot do that as we are waitlisted. When and if we get it does it mean i might get stuck with early sitting options or very late?? because the MTD "prime hours" (well for me anyways) of 7 - 8 will all be gone?? if so, I should cancel my request for MTD and stick with my late sitting.

When I booked MTD I was waitlisted and then got it a couple days later. Online reservations allowed me to book up until 6:45pm then no more slots until 7:45pm. Someone said they block out this 7pm hour; I don't know if that is true.

When I booked MTD I was waitlisted and then got it a couple days later. Online reservations allowed me to book up until 6:45pm then no more slots until 7:45pm. Someone said they block out this 7pm hour; I don't know if that is true.

Thanks Marci, so if I understand correctly, you couldn't book that hour at all? because it was not available for booking, not because it was all full? I'm new to cruising and never gave dining a second thought - apart from our initial booking when our TA said: late or early? we chose late because our sons are now 18 & 15 and, with no disrespect to families with small children, but we want to enjoy "grown up" dinners now because we've been travelling with the boys since they are very little and we've "been there, done that" with young kids at meal time! and the early sitting is too early for port days, in my opinion. He did mention MTD but I guess I didn't listen too well!! too excited I guess lol...thanks again.

I couldn't book after 6:45pm and before 7:45pm. Why? I don't know; I didn't question it, just assumed it was full. But, another poster mentioned that the 7pm hour was blocked off for some reason. Maybe someone else can comment on this.

Honestly I would just book dinner for the time you normally eat at home. The MDR has never been full of small children, just an occasional loud one here and there. It's not like a Disney cruise (which we have done) or visiting Disneyworld and kids are everywhere (although that may change in the future...)

For us, the late dining time is just too late. By the time you sit down and are served, dinner isn't really beginning until 9pm. With an early seating we usually finish up about 7:30pm.

I couldn't book after 6:45pm and before 7:45pm. Why? I don't know; I didn't question it, just assumed it was full. But, another poster mentioned that the 7pm hour was blocked off for some reason. Maybe someone else can comment on this.

Honestly I would just book dinner for the time you normally eat at home. The MDR has never been full of small children, just an occasional loud one here and there. It's not like a Disney cruise (which we have done) or visiting Disneyworld and kids are everywhere (although that may change in the future...)

For us, the late dining time is just too late. By the time you sit down and are served, dinner isn't really beginning until 9pm. With an early seating we usually finish up about 7:30pm.

That's great, thanks. I will wait and keep checking my reservation to see if we get in for MTD - and I was also told by my TA to check with the Maitre D once we board, if it's not changed before we leave.

We're booked on MTD for our next cruise. Just checked and it is not possible to book between 7.30 and 8.30. I assume this gives the staff time to catch up with any people who arrive or stay late in the first half of the evening and to have time to reset tables.

From memory I think they also have this gap in booking times at the Speciality Restaurants.

Is prebooking really necessary? We have had my time dining on the Freedom, Adventure and Serenade and did not make any reservations. Everything went well and we ate when we wanted to without any waits.

Is prebooking really necessary? We have had my time dining on the Freedom, Adventure and Serenade and did not make any reservations. Everything went well and we ate when we wanted to without any waits.

They encourage prebooking...of course there are times that are more popular and you may have to wait for a table.

Making reservations kind of defeats the purpose of MTD, IMO...we've used it once and have gone back to traditional.

We're booked on MTD for our next cruise. Just checked and it is not possible to book between 7.30 and 8.30. I assume this gives the staff time to catch up with any people who arrive or stay late in the first half of the evening and to have time to reset tables.

From memory I think they also have this gap in booking times at the Speciality Restaurants.

It must vary by ship because for Explorer, I couldn't book 7pm, 7:15pm, 7:30pm, but I could book the other timeslots (eg 6:45pm and 7:45pm were available.)

It must vary by ship because for Explorer, I couldn't book 7pm, 7:15pm, 7:30pm, but I could book the other timeslots (eg 6:45pm and 7:45pm were available.)

I would think it varies depending on when the two sittings are. We are on a Med cruise where the sittings tend to be later, hence no times between 7.30 and 8.30. I think the wait staff may also have some trad dining tables which they have to set up in time for 2nd sitting.

As for booking the same times and defeating the object I think there are other reasons for booking MTD eg some people find 6.30 too early and 8.30 too late and would like to eat at, say, 7.30 each night. MTD is also a better way to guarantee a table for 2 or 4 if you don't want to eat with others. We've block booked at time for our forthcoming cruise but in all likelihood we'll end up changing 2 or 3 of the times once we're onboard and know what we're likely to be doing each day :)

We (family of 4) are waitlisted for MTD - originally booked late sitting back in November and decided to change last week!! but the more I read this forum, I'm not so sure anymore :( People are able to reserve online for their MTD, obviously I cannot do that as we are waitlisted. When and if we get it does it mean i might get stuck with early sitting options or very late?? because the MTD "prime hours" (well for me anyways) of 7 - 8 will all be gone?? if so, I should cancel my request for MTD and stick with my late sitting.

Don't dispair. It's OK to be waitlisted. Once you are onboard the ship, the first thing that you want to do is to go to the head waiter in MTD, and let them know that you want to join them. They have to keep so many tables open for guests that have no way of pre booking MTD before boarding.

Just try to be one of the first in line.;)

Rick

Archived