Magic is going to................

Legend

A solo in a 1A for the TA is over $2200 plus air. So far the cheapest flight info I can find is estimated to be about $1500. Plus getting home from Texas. One way airfare is a killer. Too rich for my blood. But what a great cruise it would make. Carnival and their darn 200% single supplement is making this impossible for me.

look for round trip airfair from a major international city. (I use JFK) you will find it is most likely less than one way even after adding in the cost to get to the destination airport. You can then hold the return ticket to use in the future, or, in some cases, you can get it converted to and airline credit.

I'm surprised they didn't put it in fort lauderdale or miami to increase passenger capacity to compete with both oasis and allure.

Galveston is their strongest market price wise ...why wouldnt they want to put it in their strongest market ... why would you think Carnival would want to add more compition to a weaker market ...which would make it even weaker price wise?

Galveston to me has been the obvious choice all along.

Galveston is their strongest market price wise ...why wouldnt they want to put it in their strongest market ... why would you think Carnival would want to add more compition to a weaker market ...which would make it even weaker price wise?

Like I said from the start...I soooooo hope I'm wrong and she homeports from Galveston.:D

My confirmation email (personal info deleted of course)

My Cruise My Reservation as of 06/14/10

We can't wait to welcome you onboard.

BOOKING NO:

SAILING: CARNIVAL MAGIC 10/28/11

SAILING DURATION: 16 days

STATEROOM:

CATEGORY: 6A

GUEST:

DINING CONFIRMED: LATE DINING - 08:15 PM

EMAIL:

BOOKED BY:

CONTACT .PHONE

DEPARTING NOTE

CRUISE ONLY 1 CRUISE ONLY 1

ITINERARY: 16 DAY TRANSATLANTIC VOYAGE

No itinerary details available. View Cruise Details Check-in ( FunPass ) Plan Activities View Cruise Documents FINAL PAYMENT DUE DATE 7/30/2011

How did you find this cruise? I have searched the Carnival site every way I can imagine, and it doesn't show up. Do you have a debarkation port for this?

I was under the impression that port everglades is the biggest cruise port in the entire world(in terms of passenger flow) isn't that right?

I was under the impression that port everglades is the biggest cruise port in the entire world(in terms of passenger flow) isn't that right?

It is, I think as of this year or last year. highest capacity, though, does not translate into highest fares.

It is, I think as of this year or last year. highest capacity, though, does not translate into highest fares.

Actually a lot of times the fares are higher out of NY/NJ than a lot of the other ports so I don't think price has everything to do with it...maybe by putting so far away from so many other ports they plan on making more money on airfare...I guess we will never know, maybe cities bid on the rights to house the ship, it does afterall do wonders for the travel industry in those cities...

Actually a lot of times the fares are higher out of NY/NJ than a lot of the other ports so I don't think price has everything to do with it...maybe by putting so far away from so many other ports they plan on making more money on airfare...I guess we will never know, maybe cities bid on the rights to house the ship, it does afterall do wonders for the travel industry in those cities...

Please don't take this as a smart alec comment, because I don't mean for it to sound that way. :o But apparently, with you being way up north, you don't realize the number of people living in TX and surrounding states who cruise? Unlike at the northern and FL cruise ports, I would think that the majority of people who cruise out of Galveston actually drive to the port. (We do, from north Louisiana.) With no other options for cruising without flying to port (other than from New Orleans), it is no surprise that the Galveston ships book full easily and for higher prices. Therefore, it makes perfect sense for Carnival to "give" this area a new ship.

Please don't take this as a smart alec comment, because I don't mean for it to sound that way. :o But apparently, with you being way up north, you don't realize the number of people living in TX and surrounding states who cruise? Unlike at the northern and FL cruise ports, I would think that the majority of people who cruise out of Galveston actually drive to the port. (We do, from north Louisiana.) With no other options for cruising without flying to port (other than from New Orleans), it is no surprise that the Galveston ships book full easily and for higher prices. Therefore, it makes perfect sense for Carnival to "give" this area a new ship.

NY/NJ ports are the same way price wise for the same reason....the condensed polulation within the driving area is huge.

But for year round cruising and a range of ports and higher pricing, Galveston does have the edge over a lot of other places.

Unlike at the northern and FL cruise ports, I would think that the majority of people who cruise out of Galveston actually drive to the port. (We do, from north Louisiana.)

It's a fact that Non-Florida, southern ports draw a much higher number of passengers that live within driving distance. People who need to fly to cruise normally don't think of New Orleans, Galveston, or Mobile as places where they would begin or end their vacation.

We live in Georgia and we ALWAYS look at what our "drive to" ports have to offer first.

When we sailed out of Mobile a few years ago, our table for 10 consisted of people from Tennessee, Georgia and Alabama. We didn't meet one person who came from farther away, definitely not from states up north.

We're sailing out of New Orleans in August. Let's see where our fellow passengers will be from....

That's true, it just seems that the new ship always goes to Florida so putting a brand new ship in Galveston is a new concept to take in lol

I agree, I'm quite surprised too. From a financial point of view, though, it makes good sense. Putting the ship in Galveston will amplify the new-ship fare premium. Good news for CCL shareholders. :D

It's a fact that Non-Florida, southern ports draw a much higher number of passengers that live within driving distance. People who need to fly to cruise normally don't think of New Orleans, Galveston, or Mobile as places where they would begin or end their vacation.

We live in Georgia and we ALWAYS look at what our "drive to" ports have to offer first.

When we sailed out of Mobile a few years ago, our table for 10 consisted of people from Tennessee, Georgia and Alabama. We didn't meet one person who came from farther away, definitely not from states up north.

We're sailing out of New Orleans in August. Let's see where our fellow passengers will be from....

We drove to Mobile from Ohio, nice city but a very long drive

I agree, I'm quite surprised too. From a financial point of view, though, it makes good sense. Putting the ship in Galveston will amplify the new-ship fare premium. Good news for CCL shareholders. :D

They also may want a new ship on either side of the oil slick to give them options if they need to ever alter itins in the long run. (One to do eastern routes out of florida and one to do western routes out of texas.)

(heheheheheheheheh...sorry..couldn't resist feeding into more unfounded speculation.) :p

They also may want a new ship on either side of the oil slick to give them options if they need to ever alter itins in the long run. (One to do eastern routes out of florida and one to do western routes out of texas.)

(heheheheheheheheh...sorry..couldn't resist feeding into more unfounded speculation.) :p

To add to the speculation, the new Magic itinerary (to keep it away from the oil spill) is

• Day 1..Galveston
  • Day 2..Corpus Christi
  • Day 3..South Padre Island (tender)
  • Day 4..Fun day at sea
  • Day 5..Progreso
  • Day 6..Fun day at sea
  • Day 7..Fun day at sea
  • Day 8..Galveston

To add to the speculation, the new Magic itinerary (to keep it away from the oil spill) is

• Day 1..Galveston
  • Day 2..Corpus Christi
  • Day 4..Fun day at sea
  • Day 5..Progreso
  • Day 6..Fun day at sea
  • Day 7..Fun day at sea
  • Day 8..Galveston

Interesting Itinerary. It would be something different.

• Day 1..Galveston
  • Day 2..Corpus Christi
  • Day 4..Fun day at sea
  • Day 5..Progreso
  • Day 6..Fun day at sea
  • Day 7..Fun day at sea
  • Day 8..Galveston

Oh come on...get more creative than progresso...LOL

I'm sure cozumel, and costa maya are doable.....even a new ship would not ever get me back to progresso...hahahahahaha

Archived