Lucca & Wine Tasting Tour - Anyone taken this tour?

aohkay

Hello,

I am considering taking the Hills of Lucca & Wine Tasting tour (Tour Code: LRN-K) and wondering if anyone has taken the tour. Specifically, the description says in part, "visit a local wine cellar". I am wondering if the tour is at a winery/vineyard.

Thanks in advance,

Lisa

I have never taken this tour but I have spent a week in Lucca and can tell you it's is definitely worth seeing. It's a great walled pedestrian town (Puccini's birhtplace btw) whith endless squares, alleys and sites to explore.

I have never taken this tour but I have spent a week in Lucca and can tell you it's is definitely worth seeing. It's a great walled pedestrian town (Puccini's birhtplace btw) whith endless squares, alleys and sites to explore.

Thank you for the info. We do have a couple of hours on our own in Lucca; it sounds very pretty.

Haven't taken the tour either but have been in Lucca and can tell you that there is an excellent wine shop in town. Very broad selection and good prices.

Thank you for your reply. Lucca sounds very nice; perhaps a tour of the wine cellar and wine tasting (and trip to the wine shop) will suffice. The price of the tour is quite reasonable ($119 USD) for 5.5 hours.

We didn't take the tour but took the train from Livorno to Lucca via Pisa. Lucca is very pretty. Only problem was the day we went was Italy's version of July 4th and the trains were running on an abbreviated schedule but still a lovely day.

We didn't take the tour but took the train from Livorno to Lucca via Pisa. Lucca is very pretty. Only problem was the day we went was Italy's version of July 4th and the trains were running on an abbreviated schedule but still a lovely day.

Hi Terrier1,

Thanks for your reply. I'm feeling a little more at ease about seeing Lucca. It sounds very nice.

Yes, we took the wine tasting tour ...it is a very nice home with nic e wine and snacks. You also get to see Lucca, an old village. But if you haven't been to Florence you should go there.

:)

Hello,

I am considering taking the Hills of Lucca & Wine Tasting tour (Tour Code: LRN-K) and wondering if anyone has taken the tour. Specifically, the description says in part, "visit a local wine cellar". I am wondering if the tour is at a winery/vineyard.

Thanks in advance,

Lisa

Yes, we took the wine tasting tour ...it is a very nice home with nic e wine and snacks. You also get to see Lucca, an old village. But if you haven't been to Florence you should go there.

:)

Thank you so much for the information, very helpful. No, we haven't been to Florence. A wine tour in Florence was my number 1 choice, but cost has been a concern. However, for the extra $100, it may be well worth it.

My main goal was to do a wine tour, not necessarily see Lucca, even though Lucca sounds very pretty.

Lisa

That particular tour was cancelled on our voyage last year. In fact 3 of the 4 wine tours were cancelled. I don't know why -- lack of participation possibly.

We did take the Oceania wine tour from Marseille to a vineyard/winery in Provence and thoroughly enjoyed it. I know that is not what you asked but for what it is worth I thought the Oceania tour was well worth the price.

if you have not been there...it is awesome! But it is a ways to get there! But ....you could have a great over-view! Florence is worthy of many days of exploration...

Having said that...we took the train to Lucca and had a wonderful day!! ...but we had been to Florence several times before and wanted to see/experience something different. My suggestion...do Florence and then Lucca next time!!!:D LuAnn

That particular tour was cancelled on our voyage last year. In fact 3 of the 4 wine tours were cancelled. I don't know why -- lack of participation possibly.

We did take the Oceania wine tour from Marseille to a vineyard/winery in Provence and thoroughly enjoyed it. I know that is not what you asked but for what it is worth I thought the Oceania tour was well worth the price.

I guess I can understand why some of the tours are cancelled...from the Roll Call threads, it does seem like a lot folks build their own excursions. And, if you can/ want to add others to your group, it looks like it can be cheaper too.

Thanks very much for your input...it's greatly appreciated!

Lucca is wonderful ( make sure you are not visiting on Sunday, stores will be closed).

I would also recommend seeing Pisa if you are only seeing Lucca ( close enough not to miss).

Or forgo both and see Florence ( this is assuming you only have one day..

so many choices so little time).

If you are considering a private tour company

Papillons is the best for that area..

http://www.papillonservice.com

I guess I can understand why some of the tours are cancelled...from the Roll Call threads, it does seem like a lot folks build their own excursions. And, if you can/ want to add others to your group, it looks like it can be cheaper too.

Thanks very much for your input...it's greatly appreciated!

Funny story about the ship's wine tour in Provence that I mentioned. It included a wine-paired lunch in the cellars after the tasting but the catering truck delivering the food was involved in an accident before it arrived. We had already sampled 3 wines at the pre-lunch tasting so to fill time before a replacement caterer could be hastily rearranged, the winemaker himself showed up...and started opening and pouring bottle after bottle after bottle. We were all 3 sheets to the wind before lunch finally arrived. I don't even remember what I ate (or if I even did).

After we left the winery, the tour continued to Aix-en-Provence where we were to have 2 hours free time. I was seated towards the front of the bus on the way to Aix, turned around to look back, and saw that everyone on the bus was sound asleep! Out like a light. The only thing I saw of Aix was a cafe where we practically drank them out of espresso.

We took the identical tour with Az last year.

We found the walking tour of Lucca dull (about 1.5 hours) and by the time it was finished the shops were closing for lunch. Better, had we thought about it, would have been to have left the walking tour and spent the time doing our own thing in Lucca.

The winery we visited in the Tuscan Hills was very good and after a short tour we were taken to a shaded area where various wines were served together with nibbles.

Brian

if you have not been there...it is awesome! But it is a ways to get there! But ....you could have a great over-view! Florence is worthy of many days of exploration...

Having said that...we took the train to Lucca and had a wonderful day!! ...but we had been to Florence several times before and wanted to see/experience something different. My suggestion...do Florence and then Lucca next time!!!:D LuAnn

Thanks LuAnn...I know what you mean about the time restrictions. It really is too bad we only have 10 hours here:( I think I'll really try to find a reasonabley priced (if it's possible) wine tour in Florence. It's so much more convenient to have them pick you up at the dock, but of course you pay for that, as it sxtends the "tour" time.

Funny story about the ship's wine tour in Provence that I mentioned. It included a wine-paired lunch in the cellars after the tasting but the catering truck delivering the food was involved in an accident before it arrived. We had already sampled 3 wines at the pre-lunch tasting so to fill time before a replacement caterer could be hastily rearranged, the winemaker himself showed up...and started opening and pouring bottle after bottle after bottle. We were all 3 sheets to the wind before lunch finally arrived. I don't even remember what I ate (or if I even did).

After we left the winery, the tour continued to Aix-en-Provence where we were to have 2 hours free time. I was seated towards the front of the bus on the way to Aix, turned around to look back, and saw that everyone on the bus was sound asleep! Out like a light. The only thing I saw of Aix was a cafe where we practically drank them out of espresso.

Oh Aruba, I love it!! What a wonderful story...now those are the type of memories that will be with you forever. Thanks for sharing!

Lucca is wonderful ( make sure you are not visiting on Sunday, stores will be closed).

I would also recommend seeing Pisa if you are only seeing Lucca ( close enough not to miss).

Or forgo both and see Florence ( this is assuming you only have one day..

so many choices so little time).

If you are considering a private tour company

Papillons is the best for that area..

http://www.papillonservice.com

Thanks Lucca, I will look into doing Pisa as well as Lucca, or Florence as you suggested. So much research to do! Yes, we actually dock at Livorno and only have 10 hours in port. Thanks for the link, I'll definitely take a look.

We took the identical tour with Az last year.

We found the walking tour of Lucca dull (about 1.5 hours) and by the time it was finished the shops were closing for lunch. Better, had we thought about it, would have been to have left the walking tour and spent the time doing our own thing in Lucca.

The winery we visited in the Tuscan Hills was very good and after a short tour we were taken to a shaded area where various wines were served together with nibbles.

Brian

Hi Brian,

Thank you for the advice re: walking portion of Lucca. Is the winery that you visited in the Tuscan Hills part of the same Lucca tour, or are you speaking of a different tour entirely?

Thanks Lucca, I will look into doing Pisa as well as Lucca, or Florence as you suggested. So much research to do! Yes, we actually dock at Livorno and only have 10 hours in port. Thanks for the link, I'll definitely take a look.

If you decide to "do" Lucca and Pisa you should be able to do both of them using the public train system...both are "stops" off the main train system...we took a taxi from the port to the train station, and hopped the train to Lucca...but ...in the amount of time you have you should be able to stop at Lucca and Pisa...sorry...I can't remember which stop is first...but I'd start "at the top" and "work my way down" back to the port! eg..I "think" Pisa is the further stop from the port...so..IF I remember correctly...start at Pisa and then go "down" to Lucca and then back to the port...makes sense??? I hope so!!! :p LuAnn

If I recall you have to change trains at Pisa to go to Lucca. Oddly enough, the train to Florence was direct and fellow cruisers who went to Florence made better time but the day we went was an Italian holiday.

• 2 weeks later...

Spent a day in charming Lucca in mid-May from Livorno. Easy to catch the train on your own and set your own itinerary and pace for the day. The train station is just a hundred yards from one of the old walled city's entrances.

Indeed, from Livorno, you have to switch trains in Pisa (we had visited Pisa on a land trip a few years back so did not stop there this time), with Lucca being further from Livorno than Pisa is.

Archived