Anyone NOT like the Steakhouse?

Talli

I've posted this before, but here's my opinion again. Not worth it.....the staff was NOT attentive at all, almost cold, indifferent.....however, there were uniformed staff that night at dinner and the server's were definately trying much harder with them. To make matters worse, I got deathly ill, I mean REALLY bad! I was still sick the next day (Saturday) and could not eat much. It was sad because I couldn't eat my last meal in the MDR, I was still green. The worst part about it is.....I had SO looked forward to it, especially after the wonderful reviews that Mach had posted.....and ended up so disappointed. We won't ever go again.

P.S. My husband is a steak LOVER. His steak was the worst he'd ever had......

I love the supper clubs. The lobster is far superior to MDR. I enjoy the slow pace. It is because most items are made to order. Not in advance like MDR. Everyone should go once with an open mind. I can only imagine on New Years Eve they were possibly overbooked. I recommend going earlier in the Cruise as it seems to be a little slower and you get more attention. We had an amazing dinner in Alaska next to floor to ceiling windows with breathtaking views floating by.. One meal I will never forget. Do allow the 2-1/2 hours. You are on a cruise. Relax. Enjoy the lost art of conversation.

The same meal on land would cost at least $75 - 100 per person.

I have eaten in the supper clubs 5 times and will do it at least once whenever I am on a ship that has one.

Tom in Long Beach (fine dining waiter and foodie)

We did it once, and didn't think it was worth the $60 for two (plus the value of one MDR meal given up). Service was very nice, but we've always been impressed with the service in the MDR as well.

The introductions to each course were so robotic...I realize this is probably necessitated by the language barrier on the part of the servers, but it felt so scripted.

It was a very nice meal, but not at the level of a top New York steakhouse IMO, which is how it is promoted.

We ate at the steakhouse on the Legend and we were very impressed. The service was amazing and the whole staff was friendly. After each course was served, we realized there is a world of fine dining that we rarely get to enjoy. The whole experience was the $60 charge. Maybe we just don't get out much.

Ditto your response. Ate there (on the Legend) a couple of weeks ago and it was off the hook!

We won dinner for 2 on the Glory. (Repeater's Party)

This was the first time we had eaten at any of the Speciality restaurants because I am not a foodie.

I would say the food was ok....but not better than what we have gotten every night in the Main Dining Room.

The service was excellent...to the point of being over the top. Every time we turned around....someone was there for something. However, the "presentation" (explanations of items on the menu) was given by a young lady who spoke very softly. (I guess for atmosphere or something) And my husband could not hear what she was saying. I only heard about half of it.

Oddly enough, my biggest complaint was the atmosphere. Our table was right next to the window where we watched a parade of workmen in their jumpsuits dragging various hoses and items up and down the stairs.

They were only outdone by the large number of people in various stages of "swim suit attire" walking up and down the stairs past our window... 90% of whom should not have been walking around in just a bathing suit.

Isn't that the way life is....those who need the cover ups the most have never heard the term.

Some people are truly into this and that is fine....but it just wasn't for us.

So I am thinking about making a reservation for the Steakhouse on Freedom so DH and I can have a romantic dinner for two. I have read nothing but good reviews on here but not sure if spending $60 for dinner is worth it when we can get it for free elsewhere on the ship, lol. Is it really worth it, did anyone not like it or just thought it was ok? We love steak, but not seafood (well DH will eat the occasional fish if its breaded and fried) if that makes a difference.

TIA!

Talli

I loved it the first few times we ate there but we have eaten there 6 times now and I find that the novelty has now worn off. The only meal I get there is the Filet Mignon which is wonderful but I can take or leave beef. I wish they'd shake up the menu a bit. I think we may skip it on the next cruise as there is plenty of food in other areas of the ship that we never even have a chance to try.

I loved it the first few times we ate there but we have eaten there 6 times now and I find that the novelty has now worn off. The only meal I get there is the Filet Mignon which is wonderful but I can take or leave beef. I wish they'd shake up the menu a bit. I think we may skip it on the next cruise as there is plenty of food in other areas of the ship that we never even have a chance to try.

I wonder how often they change the menu. A few years ago they had a veal chop that I wanted to try and than it was gone.

Seem to have the same menu for quite awhile now.

We did the then "supper club" on our first Carnival cruise - on the Glory in 2006. There were 4 of us and we really enjoyed it. But we felt that the food in the MDR was just as good. And we didn't go back - - until this cruise on the Dream.

We loved it. We liked the change of menu from the dining room. The cuts of meat were definitely better than what is served in the MDR. The service was excellent. We enjoyed the calm atmosphere and the quiet background music. Again there were 4 of us and we felt it was well worth the $120 extra.

We ate at the supper club twice on our last cruise because it was that good! The food is far superior to what is served in the main dining room. No question about it. Yes, it's a 2.5 hour meal, but that's part of the whole experience. A relaxed dinner that you savor, not stuff down like a trip to Applebees. We loved every aspect of it - the ambiance, the service & most importantly the food. I doubt we'll book a cruise on a ship that doesn't have a supper club.

I've yet to sail Carnival.......but I will someday. So, let me ask a dumb question......... Is the "steakhouse" the same as the "supper club"? Or am I thinking about two entirely different things?

Thanks

I've yet to sail Carnival.......but I will someday. So, let me ask a dumb question......... Is the "steakhouse" the same as the "supper club"? Or am I thinking about two entirely different things?

Thanks

Nope...Steakhouse is what they now call the Supper Club.

My mom and I did this when we sailed on Legend. For those who haven't tried it, I would say definitely do it at least once. If not for anything other than the fact that I'm a firm believer in forming opinions based on your own experiences. :)

But, with that said, I don't think I would be in a rush to go back. Food was very good. Lobster bisque was much better here. But, I'm not a foodie and that's really just not my style (I had Taco Bell for dinner tonight ;)). Having the wait staff RIGHT THERE for the duration of the meal almost made me uncomfortable.

I am glad we tried it and if the person I'm sailing with wanted to try it, I would go again. I did think the service and food was worth the extra charge. But, like I said, it really isn't my style so you wouldn't find me rushing off to make a reservation.

We just had dinner at Harry's Steak House on the Carnival Liberty last week. We were in a group of six. Everyone believed it was well worth the $30.00 upcharge. The meal was excellent! Yes, it took 2 1/2 hours to finish the meal. We took 1 1/2 hours in the MDR most nights. There is no comparison to the flat iron steak and any of the steaks served in the steak house.

I enjoy the Steakhouse as a change of pace. I always schedule it on a formal night so we dress up for the night.

The lobster bisque is 10 times better than in MDR and the lobster tail is well worth the $30 extra charge. It is so delicious and tender.

DH had ribeye which was not on the advertised menu. It melted in his mouth.

We ate at the Golden Fleece last week on The Legend. It was excellent!

DH had a 24oz porterhouse which he said was the best steak he's ever eaten.

I had the Chilean Sea Bass which was buttery, tender, and huge also.

The homemade rolls were excellent also!

And the service! Spectacular!!

Well worth the money!!

So I am thinking about making a reservation for the Steakhouse on Freedom so DH and I can have a romantic dinner for two. I have read nothing but good reviews on here but not sure if spending $60 for dinner is worth it when we can get it for free elsewhere on the ship, lol. Is it really worth it, did anyone not like it or just thought it was ok? We love steak, but not seafood (well DH will eat the occasional fish if its breaded and fried) if that makes a difference.

TIA!

Talli

We were on the Dream and made dinner reservations for our anniversary at the steakhouse after attending a cooking demonstration at the steakhouse. The food at the demonstration was outstanding and we hoped for a nice, quiet romantic dinner. We made reservations for 9pm and when we arrived the hostess asked if we'd like to wait a few minutes for a "quiet" table. The quiet table turned out to be directly behind a table of 6 that included the captain. The captain was quiet, but the rest of the party was not. They all spoke very loudly in Italian. That kind of ruined the romantic mood. The food served didn't impress us at all. Overall, we didn't think it was worth the extra $30 per person, plus tip.

I LOVED it on the Valor but hubby ??...not so much. But then again hes happy with just a burger. He's not a foodie-- I am. I thought everything about it was wonderful. Couldnt decide which appetizer so I had 2. Steak was to die for. Way above the food in the MDR. I had a dessert that had 4 samplings sizes of different things. But O remember I liked it. Service was very good. The whole experience was more elegant and quiet than the MDR. A nice reprieve from over zealous waiters.

My friend and I plan to try the one on the Freedom next month. Were sending the guys to eat on their own that night. Look out buffet...LOL

We did the "Harry's Supper Club" on our last cruise aboard the Carnival Liberty. We made our reservations as soon as we boarded the ship, (recommended). They gave us a reservation for the time that we wanted. When we arrived at the Supper Club, we were treated like royality. The Waiteress and Staff was very attentive. They present you with a platter of different cuts of meat & seafood and then they tell you all about the cut that you selected. You select the one that you want and they cook it to order. The whole dinner lasted approximately three hours. They pamper you with each segment of the meal. We ended up paying in excess of $80.00. We wanted to do it once and we did. We don't think that we'll do it again.

Dave & Diane.

1209810229_CaribbeanCruiseNov07(256).jpg.c1a5b87d2d90ef79c3619f538d91d801.jpg

1806233522_CaribbeanCruiseNov07(267).jpg.158a5f1cc9f20eb8ec11348c6ff0e051.jpg

1200892526_CaribbeanCruiseNov07(269).jpg.b6d2e5114e589fd661cefb020e1b6998.jpg

690995834_CaribbeanCruiseNov07(270).jpg.c22220904d8d9a80c8abf6927c4891d4.jpg

873962577_CaribbeanCruiseNov07(271).jpg.20a14e9ee8c1e03a53e48ee2fb6fdaa8.jpg

The Steakhouse is one of our favorite parts of the cruise and we go every time we're on a ship that has one. On our 8 day Miracle, we went twice. We love having the chance to try different menu items. The lamb is to die for & DH loves the steaks. The escargot app is one of the best we've had, as is the lobster bisque (it's really a shame they call the one in the DR the same name - it's awful in mho). I've even had the Dover Sole and it was awesome! We will definately book at least a night on any of our CCL cruises that have a Steakhouse.:D

Archived