Major New Break - Upgrades

fodorspeter

Bad news. Just called the reaccomodation desk and they informed me that as of yesterday, no more upsells. Any upgrades will come from them to you (on what basis, I don't know), not by you calling in and asking. I told the guy that that was what separated NCL from anyone else and why I chose NCL in the first place. He said that since yesterday, he has had several dozen people tell him the same thing. This will definitely hurt this cruise line.

Peter

Perhaps now you will only get them through a travel agent who does not discount, isn`t that a refreshing thought:rolleyes: :D

;) Perhaps they will only call those that book direct. One more step in cutting out the costly middle person :eek:

BTW I called them yesterday and got a quote for my cruise next week. They only thing open was one Villa. It was a little more then I needed.

;) Perhaps they will only call those that book direct. One more step in cutting out the costly middle person :eek:

I don`t think so. You are in management, there are studies that show we are the cheapest outsource there is. It costs them many billable hours for their personnel to do this. The cost would be in our commission structure to do this, i.e. FREE to them.

This blows! I loved the fact that I could do an upsell if something was available closer to the sailing date. (There seemed to ALWAYS be a suite of some sort open) That is what kept me loyal to NCL. Now I might was well just go with a premium cruise line.

I don`t think so. You are in management, there are studies that show we are the cheapest outsource there is. It costs them many billable hours for their personnel to do this. The cost would be in our commission structure to do this, i.e. FREE to them.

I was just joking. To staff internally to handle 100% of the reservations and customer support would not be cost effective. I would not put it past NCL if they change to a push based upgrade program to use to there advandage. Direct booked the keep 100% of the revenue or use it to reward high volume agencies that play by the new rules.

I know the only times NCl has called me with an upgrade was the 2 prior times and I booked direct. 15 NCL cruises thru TAs and no upgrades unless you count the occasion 2 or 3 cat upgrade at no cost :confused:

This blows! I loved the fact that I could do an upsell if something was available closer to the sailing date. (There seemed to ALWAYS be a suite of some sort open) That is what kept me loyal to NCL. Now I might was well just go with a premium cruise line.

What????

There will always be upsells as there are with every cruiseline near the end of sailing. NCL is going to be doing it different. I always said there is no loyalty in this business.

I think this policy with NCL has gotten out of hand. Reading these posts people are calling 3 months:eek: out asking for upsells and calling every day:eek: I know that would drive me crazy. Also, this book the cheapest and get a suite mentality only cheapens their product IMHO.

What "Premium" cruiseline would be going to where you would get the value you get with NCL?

I was just joking. To staff internally to handle 100% of the reservations and customer support would not be cost effective. I would not put it past NCL if they change to a push based upgrade program to use to there advandage. Direct booked the keep 100% of the revenue or use it to reward high volume agencies that play by the new rules.

I know the only times NCl has called me with an upgrade was the 2 prior times and I booked direct. 15 NCL cruises thru TAs and no upgrades unless you count the occasion 2 or 3 cat upgrade at no cost :confused:

Perhaps you were booking with the wrong agency:confused: The super discounters don`t get the calls on the upsells and they don`t want to be bothered with the hassle. The upsells are based on what you paid in the first place (usually).

Seahorse - are you insinuating that had the airlines continued to pay commissions to travel agents that they wouldn't be in financial trouble? Don't get that logic. Lets see, everyone that needed to fly over the last year would still have flown, but would have paid more to cover the TA commissions leaving the airlines with exactly the same net revenue! Hmmmmmm!

Peter

Or maybe you're saying that the TA's could have drummed up more flyers for the airlines - maybe someone who was driving or taking the train? Hey George, I know you didn't want to fly to San Diego for $250; how about $270? Please - I need the extra $20!

Peter

Seahorse - are you insinuating that had the airlines continued to pay commissions to travel agents that they wouldn't be in financial trouble? Don't get that logic. Lets see, everyone that needed to fly over the last year would still have flown, but would have paid more to cover the TA commissions leaving the airlines with exactly the same net revenue! Hmmmmmm!

Peter

Has nothing to do with commissions. I am saying that the airlines are inept in their management and business policies and the way they treated their personnel and the outsoursed sales. They are the dumbest (or shrewdest), because the government (us) are paying for their "problems"

The cruiselines are profit machines and WE ALL BENEFIT. One great cruiseline went out of business when they refused to pay travel agents, nuff said.

What????

There will always be upsells as there are with every cruiseline near the end of sailing. NCL is going to be doing it different. I always said there is no loyalty in this business.

I think this policy with NCL has gotten out of hand. Reading these posts people are calling 3 months:eek: out asking for upsells and calling every day:eek: I know that would drive me crazy. Also, this book the cheapest and get a suite mentality only cheapens their product IMHO.

What "Premium" cruiseline would be going to where you would get the value you get with NCL?

How do you see NCL doing the upsells, then? I agree with bigsweeps, our ability to get upsells, is/was a huge differentiating factor in our staying with NCL over other cruise lines. If their policy changes, so will my choice.

No More Upsells? ... The only reason I've been faithful to NCL for this amount of years, is the ability to buy an upsell. Looks like I'll be trying RCCL or another line now just to try something different..

Every vacation I take, I weight these options. I tryed princess but wasn't so impressed so I went back to NCL based on the fact that for an extra few hundred bucks I could be in a great suite. Even if the upsell didn't work out, its what kept bringing me back, the possiblity of a great deal.

For the amount of people that are familiar with the upsell department (less than 1 percent of every sailing I'm sure) I'm suprised they felt the need to change the policy. I guess they are trying to sell more suites at full price and prevent the educated consumer (like us) from getting a discount everytime.

Regarding SeaHorse's comments. If you book directly through NCL your chances of being called for an upsell are hundreds of times greater than if you book through a TA, whether they are a TA charging you too much money or a (superdiscounter).

I spoke with Sandra, the supervisor of the upsell department, and she basically confirmed everything I just stated as well has been stated at the top of the thread. I'm a young guy, who has a whole lot of cruising to do and I personally believe NCL has dropped the ball with this new policy.

Chris Connolly <== your travel agent's travel agent.

Bad news. Just called the reaccomodation desk and they informed me that as of yesterday, no more upsells. Any upgrades will come from them to you (on what basis, I don't know), not by you calling in and asking. I told the guy that that was what separated NCL from anyone else and why I chose NCL in the first place. He said that since yesterday, he has had several dozen people tell him the same thing. This will definitely hurt this cruise line.

Peter[/Q

Will everyone read this over please?

This was written by ONE PERSON. Does it say no more upsells? It Does say they will offer them But not by you calling directly and bugging them to death.

Boy, talk about you know what jumping ship:rolleyes:

Has nothing to do with commissions. I am saying that the airlines are inept in their management and business policies and the way they treated their personnel and the outsoursed sales. They are the dumbest (or shrewdest), because the government (us) are paying for their "problems"

The cruiselines are profit machines and WE ALL BENEFIT. One great cruiseline went out of business when they refused to pay travel agents, nuff said.

I totally disagree with you on this; well, I do agree the government (us) are paying for the bail out of the Airlines, but as a TA with 2 daughters involved in the airline industry and as someone retired from the hotel industry there are a couple things that I see here: 1-the airlines not paying commissions has nothing to do with their downfall: cost of labor and fuel, not to mention 9/11 are to blame for most of the problems. Management is to blame as well, but I don't know what is wrong with the way they treat their perssonel? 2-as for the cruiselines not paying TA commission, "ain't gona" happen in the near future. 5 or 10 years down the road maybe, not before then. This is my opinion of course, but I am never wrong. Well, I think I was once. LOL

nmNita

I totally disagree with you on this; well, I do agree the government (us) are paying for the bail out of the Airlines, but as a TA with 2 daughters involved in the airline industry and as someone retired from the hotel industry there are a couple things that I see here: 1-the airlines not paying commissions has nothing to do with their downfall: cost of labor and fuel, not to mention 9/11 are to blame for most of the problems. Management is to blame as well, but I don't know what is wrong with the way they treat their perssonel? 2-as for the cruiselines not paying TA commission, "ain't gona" happen in the near future. 5 or 10 years down the road maybe, not before then. This is my opinion of course, but I am never wrong. Well, I think I was once. LOL

nmNita

If you read this I said it has nothing to do with commissions. You can`t blame it on 9/11 this is a cop out. They were in trouble a long time before then. Oil prices have been high for a long time, when they were "low" the airlines were still bleeding money, except to their inept management.

You don`t think that making employees lose their pensions (actually we are paying for them now) downsizing, long hours etc. is not exploiting their employees? The worse that happened was that mgt. is not allowed free first class travel.:mad:

Any Ta with any business sense won`t bother issuing tickets now days, it is a loose-loose. It always has been a lose to issue a ticket, even with commissions. The only way to make any money on tickets is to be corporate and charge a fee to issue a ticket.

I don`t want this to be 'dueling travel agents" Let`s just agree to disagree:D

I'll just keep my eyes shut and whistle a lot.

Like I said, somethings up. NCL is too crafty and innovative to have changed this very consumer-friendly attraction. Here's my take. The upsells will continue, but ONLY to those who book direct with NCL - no, not even the agencies that are tight with them. The word will get out and the percentage of direct books will slowly increase. They will keep their ships at close to full capacity and add staff as the percentages warrant. At some point they will be justified to eliminate all commissions.

This will work, but only if one key ingredient happens - their direct price is within a hundred or less of the competition. The public will pay a slight upcharge for the chance to get a good upsell.

Peter

I'll just keep my eyes shut and whistle a lot.

Like I said, somethings up. NCL is too crafty and innovative to have changed this very consumer-friendly attraction. Here's my take. The upsells will continue, but ONLY to those who book direct with NCL - no, not even the agencies that are tight with them. The word will get out and the percentage of direct books will slowly increase. They will keep their ships at close to full capacity and add staff as the percentages warrant. At some point they will be justified to eliminate all commissions.

This will work, but only if one key ingredient happens - their direct price is within a hundred or less of the competition. The public will pay a slight upcharge for the chance to get a good upsell.

Peter

I won`t even go there:rolleyes:

Have a great cruise experience when you go on another line.

Good-bye:p

Peter[/Q

This was written by ONE PERSON. Does it say no more upsells? It Does say they will offer them But not by you calling directly and bugging them to death.

Boy, talk about you know what jumping ship

Ann, Master Cruise Counsellor

Sorry Ann-before you accuse everyone of not reading..Maybe you should read it. To answer your question "Does it say no more upsells?" Actually it says EXACTLY THAT!!

What it doesn't say is "they will offer them". It does say UPGRADES will be available. Who knows maybe they'll be more free upgrades-I sort of doubt it, but it's within the realm of possibility.

I'll be the devils advocate for just a momemt and say that providing upsells the way they have in the past, to the FEW people who play the game is probably the least fair way of upgrading passengers.

Sorry but that's my opinion

-Monte

Peter[/Q

Boy, talk about you know what jumping ship

Ann, Master Cruise Counsellor

Sorry Ann-before you accuse everyone of not reading..Maybe you should read it. To answer your question "Does it say no more upsells?" Actually it says EXACTLY THAT!!

What it doesn't say is "they will offer them". It does say UPGRADES will be available. Who knows maybe they'll be more free upgrades-I sort of doubt it, but it's within the realm of possibility.

I'll be the devils advocate for just a momemt and say that providing upsells the way they have in the past, to the FEW people who play the game is probably the least fair way of upgrading passengers.

Sorry but that's my opinion

-Monte

These are his words. Probably interchanges terms. Has in the past. Why don`t we wait and get "Official word" if there is any forthcoming. This does make for a livelier board, HUH;) We don`t know if ANY of this is true. Just like the newspapers, or the government, "Take it with a grain of salt":D

These are his words. Probably interchanges terms. Has in the past. Why don`t we wait and get "Official word" if there is any forthcoming. This does make for a livelier board, HUH;) We don`t know if ANY of this is true. Just like the newspapers, or the government, "Take it with a grain of salt":D

And that I agree with completely! And to me, upsells/upgrades aren't always that big a deal as I always book the lowest cat. cabin we would be happy with anyhow. And I've used the same TA for the last 6 or 7 cruises and he has always gone above and beyond for me. My last cruise (on the SUN) his price was a couple bucks higher than some of the other quotes I got, but he did get me a $100 on board credit somehow.

-Monte

I've taken 2 NCL cruises on the Dawn in a span of 7 months due to the upsell / reaccomodates policy. I've dealt with Sandra on both occasions and have been thrilled with the upgrades (Owners Suite both times out). I am saddened that NCL has changed this policy. I've pushed family and friends over to NCL (Celebrity and RCCL passengers) due to their willingness to bend over backwards for their clients. I'm sure this will hurt their overall sales in the future.

Too bad...

Sharon

Archived