Canada Line from Airport to Sutton Place?

My wife and I fly into Vancouver on July 9 ahead of our July 10 Alaska Cruise on the Coral Princess. We are staying at the Sutton Place Hotel. Can we take the Canada Line from the Airport to Sutton Place? Can a local provide information on this such as cost and if it is pretty easy to get on the train at the airport and take it to Sutton Place?

Thanks for your assistance and we are looking forward to a day in your beautiful city!

Dan

You can't take it directly to the hotel, you would take it to Vancouver Centre Station then walk two blocks west to Burrard St. turn left and walk 3 blocks to the Sutton Place...you might be able to flag a cab if you don't wish to walk but flagging a cab in Vancouver is not an easy thing. You could take the line to Waterfront Station where it will be much easier to get a cab....your fare from there to the hotel will run about $10. The Canada Line fare will be $8.75 pp or $7.50 if over 65.

My wife and I fly into Vancouver on July 9 ahead of our July 10 Alaska Cruise on the Coral Princess. We are staying at the Sutton Place Hotel. Can we take the Canada Line from the Airport to Sutton Place? Can a local provide information on this such as cost and if it is pretty easy to get on the train at the airport and take it to Sutton Place?

Thanks for your assistance and we are looking forward to a day in your beautiful city!

Dan

Sutton Place is about a 1000ft walk (one cruise ship), west of the Vancouver City Centre stop.

This map shows where the Skytrain stops are downtown, your hotel is at Smithe & Burrard. At the airport, you can just exit across the street from intl arrivals and the skytrain station is on the roof of the parkade, you really can't miss it. All level entry, and elevators and escalators

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.279872,-123.112879&spn=0.020661,0.038152&z=15

Also, if you intend to take the bus anywhere else downtown on the day you arrive, you can buy a day pass at the 7-11 in the airport for $9.50 at the 7-11 (in the terminal bldg), vs the $8.75 for a one way ticket on the platform (which has an annoying $5 surcharge for tickets from the airport -- which doesn't apply to the day passes).

Thanks so much for the information. We will have two large suitcases on wheels and one garment bag. We should be fine taking the train with that stuff? And we will most likely buy the day pass to get around the city for the rest of that day.

Again, thanks for the quick replies!

Dan

If you can handle your luggage you will make out just fine, the cars were built for pax with luggage. However Scottbee has a bit of a vivid imagination suggesting that 6 city blocks is "equal to 1000 ft or the length of a cruise ship" and of course the hotel even by his own map is south and west of the Vancouver Centre Station.

The cars do have room for luggage but can and do fill up fast with people that like to stand in that area and the rest of the cars seating.

So try to move into a car quickly and locate the luggage areas. It won't be a mad dash but folks without stuff can move a lot quicker and you may find yourself separated from you bags to be seated.

If you can handle your luggage you will make out just fine, the cars were built for pax with luggage. However Scottbee has a bit of a vivid imagination suggesting that 6 city blocks is "equal to 1000 ft or the length of a cruise ship" and of course the hotel even by his own map is south and west of the Vancouver Centre Station.

Sutton Place; ½ way between Smithe and Robson on Burrard. As the streets run NW/NE/SW/SE, it's a bit of a zig zag, but almost directly due west.

Skytrain (City Centre Stn) 49.2825N 123.1185W

Sutton Place 49.28285N 123.1241W

Accord to Ed Williams' Calculator, that's a course of 275.5 degrees (slightly NORTH of due west) and a distance of 1343 feet. Now I'll agree I was 5½ degrees off due west, and it's 34% further than my initial estimate, but I think it's giving the general idea to the OP, without splitting hairs too much...

and being relatively new to the mainland I can fully appreciate that you would have trouble understanding that Georgia is considered to run east and west and Burrard north and south, but it's pretty elementary stuff.

For the record I live in Metro Vancouver, work in downtown Vancouver, and ride the Skytrain system daily to get downtown.

To the OP, I'm sorry I quoted 1000' when it's closer to 1350'. It must be my vivid imagination. The attached map to my 1st post shows you where you need to walk, from Skytrain walk 1 block southwest on Granville, 3 blocks northwest on Robson Street, and ½ block southwest on Burrard.

and being relatively new to the mainland I can fully appreciate that you would have trouble understanding that Georgia is considered to run east and west and Burrard north and south, but it's pretty elementary stuff.

Lastly, I thought you lived on the Sunshine coast? (which for out of town people is a couple of hours north of Vancouver, including a short ferry ride); and then only for part of the year, spending the rest of the year in Arizona?

Now just so that people understand, I was born in Vancouver some 65 years ago, lived there for almost 60 years. My first home was within blocks of where the Sutton Place is located, I worked in downtown Vancouver for 40 years and most of my career was spent in the office building named, Vancouver Centre, beside where the Vancouver Centre Station is located. Granted, I no longer live in the city but am in very frequently and to my knowledge none of the roads and streets in the downtown core have changed or altered direction in the past 25 years.

Now for the benefit of the previous poster, try this concept....birds fly in straight lines, people in a downtown environment can't walk in a straight line, buildings tend to get in their way. Therefore your method of using Ed Williams' Calculator has delivered a distance that is quite incorrect and by a great deal more than the 343' that you have acknowledged.

Further more, when giving directions to people in downtown Vancouver one doesn't ordinarily tell them to walk southwest on Granville and then then northwest on Robson...but then again....you obviously do.:confused:

Good just what I need this morning - a little humor on another dreary day with an aching tooth - shouldn't be bothering me as I was in the dentist chair last week so it back there later today to see what is the problem.

Cheers

Dennis

and I still think the Mountains (Stanley Park and the Lions Gate Bridge) should be North and the Ocean West.. So the streets never have run the right way for me :)

But I likely wouldn't drag my suitcases from the Canada Line to Sutton Place regardless of how far our resident posters think it is or isn't. Walk it sure, but empty handed or with a few designer bag purchases only.

and I still think the Mountains (Stanley Park and the Lions Gate Bridge) should be North and the Ocean West.. So the streets never have run the right way for me :)

What can I say, I wasn't around to look over the shoulder of Lauchlan Hamilton who laid out most of downtown Vancouver but interestingly I did get to work for 37 great years with the grandson of the first magistrate (who was also a barkeep and survived the great fire by jumping in a pit and covering his head with wet burlap sacking) in Vancouver and one of the petitioners for the incorporation of City of Vancouver..:)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived