Visa question...hope someone can help

sprout76

Hello all. I've done a search, but can't seem to find anything so I hope this isn't a question that someone has asked before.

I know that Australia allows most US tourists to register for a Visa electronically with their ETA program...and that is what I will do. I also have seen that once you apply for it, it is good for one year from date of issue.

Okay...so here is my problem. My husband had a DUI 5 years ago...since he has had a criminal conviction he doesn't qualify for the ETA. I've gathered that he will need to apply for a regular tourist Visa sublass 676. Now...to finally get to my question. Has anyone ever been denied one of these Visa's for a DUI? I'm starting to get really worried because I'm really looking forward to this trip.

Also....how far in advance should be apply for this visa? I know that it can take a bit longer for it to be approved so I want to make sure that I get everything to them with plenty of time and I"m not worried about getting it back. Once it is issued how long is it good for....or do they issue it for the specific time you're looking to go?

We're not going until the end of next November...so we have some time, but I don't like to wait until the last minute to get things organized. Thanks everyone...appreciate any info.

For the best information on this question I would contact

Visas and Immigration at 1 905 280 1437

http://www.usa.embassy.gov.au/whwh/DIAC_ContactCentre.html

Note the telephone is a Canadian number but that is what is posted on the website for the Embassy in Washington DC.

Your best source of information here is the government agency.

Archived