Cost of Taxi from Dockyards to Horseshoe Bay

avd79

We will be arriving on the Caribbean Princess (Dockyard) and want to go to Horseshoe Bay Beach. Although Princess has a transfer to the beach, we didn't want to wait for everyone. We are a family of 4 - how long is the ride and how much would it cost for a taxi from the Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay? Also, will we have trouble finding a taxi when we want to come back or are there lots of cabs waiting?

Thanks for your help

And to answer the rest of your question...When I was there last summer, there were alot of cabs waiting, but also a lot of people waiting for said cabs. (The weather had suddenly turned sour and everyone was leaving at the same time.) It might be a good idea to get the # of a taxi company, and then call them when you want to leave. Thats what I did when I was leaving Alexandria Battery and it worked out well.

If you happen to be there on a Sunday, taxi fares have a 25% surcharge.

You can also take a bus for less money than either a taxi or cruise line transfers. Often there are direct nonstop buses, or if these are not available you can take the local #7 bus, which will be about a 30 minute ride to Horseshoe Bay. A one day unlimited bus/ferry pass is $12 for an adult, $6 for a child. If you're going to be there more than one day, there are two and three day passes for $20 and $28, respectively (children half price).

And to answer the rest of your question...When I was there last summer, there were alot of cabs waiting, but also a lot of people waiting for said cabs. (The weather had suddenly turned sour and everyone was leaving at the same time.) It might be a good idea to get the # of a taxi company, and then call them when you want to leave. Thats what I did when I was leaving Alexandria Battery and it worked out well.

Isn't Alexandria Battery in St George? At Horseshoe there is almost always cabs lined up for a return trip. Never had a problem finding one. Getting the telephone number is a good idea but if there aren't any I am sure the concession will be able to call for you....

There were alot of taxi's at Horseshoe, but since everyone was leaving at the same time, there was a really long wait. Yes, Alexandria Battery is in St. George, but I don't advise walking there. The road is not very walker friendly.

That's one of our of annual walkabouts only we hit it coming from Tobacco Bay and on down into St. George.

If you mean not walker friendly because of the hill, it is a long hill but not as steep as going up to Tobacco Bay. There's even a sidewalk on a good part of the hill. Normally, I advise against walking on many of the roads because there are no shoulders, and they can be quite busy with traffic. The traffic on that road is usually at a minimum and the road is fairly straight so you can see oncoming traffic and motorists can see you.

Thank you all for your replies. A taxi seems to be much cheaper than a ship transfer for 4 people.

Many of you have said that the wait for a taxi back to the ship would likely have a long line. Are we talking maybe a half hour wait or longer?

Thank you all for your replies. A taxi seems to be much cheaper than a ship transfer for 4 people.

Many of you have said that the wait for a taxi back to the ship would likely have a long line. Are we talking maybe a half hour wait or longer?

I never waited more than a couple of minutes its only when everyone leaves at once which doesn't happen that often don't wait until the last possible minute however cause then everyone is trying to get back...IMO

Is a taxi $30 per person each way?? There will be 2 of us, how many people fit in the taxi??

Taxis in Bermuda use a meter. When someone here says "$30" it means approximately $30...it could be a bit more or less.

The standard fares are for the taxi, carrying from 1-4 passengers. It is not a per person charge. If you have 5 or 6 passengers (in a taxi big enough to hold that many) a higher fare will apply. Note you will not have to pay the surcharge if you have only 1-4 passengers in one of the bigger taxis...it only applies if you actually have 5 or 6 passengers.

We just paid $30+ for 4 for a one way from Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay last week. Ouch!

The bus is much cheaper, it doesn't take long to fill and be on it's way. As a matter of fact our bus was less than half full when it left.

A note on travel in Bermuda: The taxis and buses expect you to be dressed decently and not be sandy or wet before getting into the vehicles.

That means wear something over your bathing suit, brush the sand off your feet and put a clean dry towel down if you are still damp. If you are wet, you should change or wait until you are dry. We were given the once over and directly questioned each time we got a cab from the beach. L.O.L.

Archived