Questions about Copenhagen

Hello:

We will be arriving the day before our cruise on the Eurodam (July9 dep) and staying over a day after the cruise. We re staying at the Copenhagen Plaza both times.

What suggestions do you have for the transportation card and sightseeing in that time period. Should we take a cab after our flight from the states and the train back out to the Airport or what?

Are there things that we should not miss. Is the HOHO worthwhile.

Thank You

Norman

Alabama

Hello: We will be arriving the day before our cruise on the Eurodam (July9 dep) and staying over a day after the cruise. We re staying at the Copenhagen Plaza both times. What suggestions do you have for the transportation card and sightseeing in that time period. Should we take a cab after our flight from the states and the train back out to the Airport or what? Are there things that we should not miss. Is the HOHO worthwhile.

Thank You. Norman. Alabama

Greetings to our southern neighbor. We did a super lovely day in Copenhagen in 2008 and are getting ready to go back in two weeks to catch our July 1-16 Norway Coast/fjords cruise. On the cab versus train versus bus option, much depends on much luggage you have, your budget, etc. The airport in Copenhagen is not that far away from the main downtown. You'll love Copenhagen!!! It is flat, charming, historic, has great and interesting architecture, nice people, relaxed, etc, etc. The canal boat ride is a must-do. Do a search on this site for many earlier postings on Copenhagen. Here below is a little visual sampler for some of the key highlights to see and do.

You can go to an earlier posting I did on walking in Copenhagen. It's at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=975779

After taking the time to get that background, see other experiences, etc., you can post with specific questions on this and other port cities in the Baltics. Be sure to have a title that is narrow to your question so that other can know what you are seeking. There are lots and lots of great people and information here on these boards. Don't be shy in asking follow-up questions. Folks are happy to share more when they know what you are seeking. Also grab, maybe from your library or a transfer they can do for you, such good visual books such as Eyewitness, Insight, etc. These resources can you help better figure out your priorities for what you want to do and see.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Copenhagen’s Nyhavn or “New” Harbor is actually old and charming with lots of outdoor dining options and nearby shopping:

Boat.jpg

A guard and statue in front of the Royal Palace in Copenhagen:

1-CPH-PalaceonWalk.jpg

Copenhagen's canal views and going under a bridge:

1A-Copenh-CanalViews.jpg

Copenhagen's historic 1695 Church of Our Saviour is a baroque church with its famous corkscrew spire as seen on the canal tour in the Christanshavns canal area:

CopenSpiralChurch.jpg

A view of Tivoli with its rides, water and downtown Copenhagen buildings in the background:

1A-Tivoli-WaterBoats.jpg

Rosenborg Castle in central Copenhagen now holds the Royal treasures. It was originally built in 1606 as a summer palace, expanded and put into its current condition in in 1624. It houses a museum exhibiting the Royal Collections, late 16th to the 19th century. This includes the Crown Jewels and the Danish Crown Regalia:

OldPalace.jpg

Hello:

We will be arriving the day before our cruise on the Eurodam (July9 dep) and staying over a day after the cruise. We re staying at the Copenhagen Plaza both times.

What suggestions do you have for the transportation card and sightseeing in that time period. Should we take a cab after our flight from the states and the train back out to the Airport or what?

Thank You

Norman

Alabama

Here you have a view from one of the exits from the train station:

2009EURODAM31406-vi.jpg

The Copenhagen Plaza should be in the same block like the "Arbejdenes Landsbank" (to the right).

So for the transfer to and from the airport you should take the train.

Honestsly spoken: you are located so centrally that you can walk to most of the attractions.

Depending to the car size you need and how many ships are in port I would highly recommend to pre-book a car like we did.

2009EURODAM30226-vi.jpg

As you have a pre-cruise stay and a post-cruise stay and can be smart to do following thing:

2009EURODAM30212-vi.jpg

You do one part of the circle of the HoHo-Bus when get from your hotel to the Cruise Terminal (on day with cruise ships in towns the Ho-Ho-Buses do additional stops at the Cruise Terminals).

And when you return from the cruise you do the other part of the circle...

Here are some impressions what we did last year in Copenhagen:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/07/copenhagen-denmark-tour-to-kill-time.html

Regards

HeinBloed

Hello Norman -

You might consider checking out the roll call for the Eurodam Gems of the Baltic Cruise (July 9-19)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1047057

Many of us are arriving early for the cruise and/or staying over in Copenhagen for a day or two afterwards. You might find some ideas posted there.

You are more than welcome to join us for our Meet & Greet on July 11, too. :)

Hello:

Thank You

Norman

Alabama

I did a fjords cruise out of Copenhagen last week. Excellent train service to/from airport/central Copenhagen station, every 20 mins. takes 15 mins, costs D.Kr.23.

I had a full day post cruise on Sunday, and got a 24-hour train ticket that gives all trains, metro, buses in the Greater Copenhagen area, for Kr.125. First I went to Roskilde by train (25 mins) to see the Viking ships at the museum there. http://vikingeskibsmuseet.dk/index.p...no_cache=1&L=1 You can go into the museum and see the ships and displays/info without needing to pay entrance fee to get close to them. Nice 20 minute walk from the station through the park and there are gorgeous old thatched houses near the museum. Then back to Copenhagen, and train to Helsingor (40 mins) to visit 'Hamlet's' Castle as above. www.kronborgcastle.com Again, it's a very attractive town with pretty, old houses.

The day before the cruise, I followed some walking tours in Copenhagen. itineraries here http://www.frommers.com/destinations...048020033.html

Don't miss having a hot dog from a street stand - delicious.

Hello HeinBloed,

I am also staying at the Copenhagen Plaza. If I take the train from the airport, Which train stop do i get off at?

Thanks, Chris

Here you have a view from one of the exits from the train station:

2009EURODAM31406-vi.jpg

The Copenhagen Plaza should be in the same block like the "Arbejdenes Landsbank" (to the right).

So for the transfer to and from the airport you should take the train.

Honestsly spoken: you are located so centrally that you can walk to most of the attractions.

Depending to the car size you need and how many ships are in port I would highly recommend to pre-book a car like we did.

2009EURODAM30226-vi.jpg

As you have a pre-cruise stay and a post-cruise stay and can be smart to do following thing:

2009EURODAM30212-vi.jpg

You do one part of the circle of the HoHo-Bus when get from your hotel to the Cruise Terminal (on day with cruise ships in towns the Ho-Ho-Buses do additional stops at the Cruise Terminals).

And when you return from the cruise you do the other part of the circle...

Here are some impressions what we did last year in Copenhagen:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/07/copenhagen-denmark-tour-to-kill-time.html

Regards

HeinBloed

Hello HeinBloed,

I am also staying at the Copenhagen Plaza. If I take the train from the airport, Which train stop do i get off at?

Thanks, Chris

Copenhagen Central Station

or in Danish

København Hovedbanegård = København H

Regards

HeinBloed

Hello:

Thank You

Norman

Alabama

Norman (Dogface)

I was a 'flyboy' myself, so I salute you.

Copenhagen is a marvelous city. very easy to walk around in, and just about everyone speaks English, so it is pretty hard to get lost. The only thing missing this year, is the Little Mermaid, as she is doing her first road trip to China.

Take your time and wander about the city.

Some can't miss places are the Palace and the changing of the guard

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster234.jpg

From here it is a fairly short walk to the Nyhavn section. An amazing couple of streets that has many great restaurants, and shops. Be sure that you do go on the Canal Boat tour. it is about an hour, but you get to see Copenhagen from an entirely different perspective

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe247.jpg

Several very low bridges you need to duck your head when the boat goes under

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster280.jpg

The center of Copenhagen, town Hall Square is where you can go into Tivoli gardens, go visit the City Hall Building or jsut sit in Hans Christian Anderson's Statue

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe318.jpg

From here it is another fairly short walk to Rosenborg Castle and Gardens. here you can tour the Castle and view the Crown Jewels. Be sure to take a side walk in the amazing Rose Gardens

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe338.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster336.jpg

Have a great time

Cheers

Len

I have read so much and I need an opinion if I should visit "Tivoli Gardens".

Almost everything I have read said "GO" in the evening, but the cruise ship leaves at 5PM, and my reading indicates that during the daytime it is "expensive and kind of boring".

Need input with so much else to do in Copenhagen with limited time.

Thanks

bob

I live in Copenhagen and this is a tour I usually do with guests who visit for the weekend, then take in Tivoli at night.

Nyhavn (canal boat tour) - Amalienborg Palace (noon - change of guard) - Marble Church - Kongens Nytorv - Stroget - Rundetarne (round tower) - Rhadhuspladsen - Rosenborg slot and gardens

If you are fairly mobile this is more than managable!:)

I have read so much and I need an opinion if I should visit "Tivoli Gardens". Almost everything I have read said "GO" in the evening, but the cruise ship leaves at 5PM, and my reading indicates that during the daytime it is "expensive and kind of boring". Need input with so much else to do in Copenhagen with limited time. Thanks. bob

What is said by Harry and scotslaydee could be very true. Much depends on what's of interest to you, personally! Visiting Tivoli in the evening would be best, but most cruise ships are not there that late . . . AND, it does not get dark there during the summer till fairly late. We visited during a wonderful Sunday afternoon and loved it. Lots of people, music, shows going on, lovely gardens, unique architecture, etc. See some of my visual samples are below. You don't need to spend hours there, nor ride the rides to appreciate why this place is so loved and nice. It is in a super handy location and is not that large. I would rate it among the best of Copenhagen. Fortunately, there are lots of super great options in this charming Royal capital and you have to see how all of these options rank on your "score card", how it fits your travel style, etc. I also did this posting earlier on our lovely journey on foot from Tivoli to our ship's docking place:

Copenhagen: Why Walking Back Is Super Great!!!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=975779

Go for "IT" in Copenhagen. Look forward to being back there next week to start our Norway coast cruise. THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Entering to enjoy Tivoli in the heart of charming Copenhagen:

1A-Copenh-TivoliEntr.jpg

The water, boat and unique architecture of Tivoli:

1A-Copenhagen-TivoliB.jpg

Lots of outdoor dining options in Tivoli:

1A-Copenh-TivDining.jpg

Another view of Tivoli with its rides, water and downtown Copenhagen buildings in the background:

1A-Tivoli-WaterBoats.jpg

1A-Copenh-TivBldgMusic.jpg

Another uniquely designed building on the grounds at Tivoli with the Danish flags flying proudly:

1A-Tivoli-FlagsBldg.jpg

Archived