Cozumel in December

SavFam06

What about the water temp? I'd love to catch a deal during the winter, but I wondered the same thing as the OP. Is beach time any good that time of year, or do you stick with land-based excursions? That sounds funny, but I mean excursions that don't involve getting into the water - that is, if it's too cold.

We went to Chankanaab, it was great (but bring your bug spray if you want to go into the interior of the park at all, though no bugs on the beach). Temp was comfortable, as was water temp.

Be sure to take some cool pictures of Puerta Maya plaza all decked out for Christmas, it was pretty cool.

Dh and I went last December and loved it. We did a beach day and it was in the mid 80's. The water was on the cool side, but not cold in any means. It actually was very refreashing after laying in the sun.:D We had a shower come over us for a few minutes, but that can happen anywhere there is tropical weather. Have a great time and enjoy!!!

Just one thing to remember...when we went last year Texas (and most of the US) had a cold snap the week we went and it was cold leaving and coming home. We were actually wearing jackets and jeans. We will be going on the Conquest at the beginning of November this year to try and avoid all the cold weather from the states that tend to sneak in around the beginning of December.

See you are from Mansfield, we sometimes think water temps are cool compared to what folks from up north might think. But in Dec, the water temps have not dropped as much as they do in mid January.

Great snorkeling and a ton of wonderful beaches.

Thanks for the replies so far! We live in Savannah, Los Angeles and Hawaii and are not used to cold weather. We can deal with it as in dressing warm and opt for things to do other than going to the beach, just want to make the most of our time there and pick appropriate activities. So far we have narrowed it down to "The Amazing Race - Cozumel" or th Adventure park, Zipline and Snorkel Combo.

we always go the the second week of dec. The prices are cheap, weather is great.Last year we went to Mr. Sanchoes beach break, we pretty much had the whole beach to ourselves and it was great.This year looking to do the bar hop.

we always go the the second week of dec. The prices are cheap, weather is great.Last year we went to Mr. Sanchoes beach break, we pretty much had the whole beach to ourselves and it was great.This year looking to do the bar hop.

Will you be sailing on the Inspiration as well?

I have started a Roll Call, but without much response....

We went December 08. Temps were fine, but the seas were 17 feet and all water tours on Cozumel were cancelled. The wind was wicked and we were able to run to our dolphin excursion (booked not through the ship), but the dolphin was "nervous" and we were being thrown all around the water. That was at Chankannab park and they had closed the beach and all water tours also (we were able to get in to one of the last dolphin reservations since people earlier than us cancelled). Because of the wind, the pool was frigid and we went back to the ship after the dolphins. We were on the island probably 1-1.5 hours. The wind was from the cold fronts coming off of the US. (It has snowed in New Orleans a few days after we departed... we were watching that on CNN and thinking WHAT???!!!)

Bummer because I feel we didn't really get to experience Coz...

Hi SavFam,

I too live in Savannah! December will be my 2nd time in Cozumel and I will be going again to Mr. Sanchos beach resort. I had the best time there last year and I am so looking forward to it again! Margaritas, music, food, beautiful beach, massage, sun and lots of fun, what more could a person ask for!

Sheryl

We took a family New Years cruise on the Conquest in 08/09. Were in Cozumel 1/2/09. Booked Dolphin Discovery at Chankanaab for the granddaughters. Weather was excellent the entire cruise. Water cold at first but you got used to it. Grndaughters were 7 & 2 and loved their Dolphin Encounter and water was not too cold for them. After park we all went to Panchos Backyard for lunch. Love Cozumel!!

See you are from Mansfield, we sometimes think water temps are cool compared to what folks from up north might think. But in Dec, the water temps have not dropped as much as they do in mid January.

Great snorkeling and a ton of wonderful beaches.

Yes, I am a bit of a weenie about cold water. We used to have an inground pool & I spent most of my time in the hot tub.

Was in Cozumel December 3rd last year. I grew up on the Gulf Coast of Florida and am used to water temps 82-86. Not sure what the water temp was in Cozumel during December but it was not "cold" or "unpleasant" and we enjoyed snorkeling and swimming. As a comparison, I've been to the Atlantic coast in August (Maryland) and the water was "freezing"! WAY too cold for me to stay in. So, perhaps that will help you determine whether it would be ok for you.

Archived