Shopping in Tahiti-tips

javafreek

We are on the PG 4/30. I need some advice about shopping on the islands. I'm not a jewelry person, so not interested in the pearls, but I would like to get some gifts for the kids and grandparents. I would appreciate any suggestions for gift purchases, as well as answers to some questions:

I heard it's best to get AMEX travelers checks and exchange for local currency at the bank in the Tahiti airport. Is it really necessary to have local currency and how much is recommended for just buying a few gifts and maybe lunch at Bloody Mary's?

From the previous posts, it sounds like pareos, tahitian shirts, and tiki gods are good ideas for gifts. Any suggestions on the best prices and places to buy them?

Can you pay for the excursions booked on the PG with credit card?

Thanks for your help! You posters are awesome!

Hi, yes all the onboard expenses can be paid on a credit card--they take an imprint the first day you board. This includes the spa, and the gift shop.

There's lots of pareos in Bora Bora, close to the pier--some people say to watch out for pareos made in Bali instead of locally, but I have found that most of them in fact *are* made in Bali, including the ones that the locals wear, so don't sweat that too much--they are beautiful! There's a big gift shop right at the pier for small stuff.

I know you're not into jewellery, but maybe the grandkids are--there is an abundance of choice in shell jewellery, some very pretty, including hair clips and things like that.

Also, there's the Monoi soaps, which are made from coconut oil, and come in different scents. And the Monoi oil, of course, which you can buy on the ship.

Thanks for the advice! Approximately how much can I expect to pay for a pareo? One thread said if you buy from the shops off of the pier they are more expensive and commercial, while you can get authentic ones for around $10 elsewhere (but didn't say where)

Well, the "authentic" one bought was hand-dyed, and cotton. I bought that on Bora Bora--a place where the bus tours take you. I think it was cheaper, but it's never been my favourite.

Frankly, as I said, the rayon ones are beautiful. They were about $20 a piece when I was there, but the dollar's gone down again since then, so who knows what they cost! :(

I too looked hard for the mysterious authentic ones, never found them. This time, I'm going to try for a "mature woman" sized pareo, one that I could tie around me the 1 1/2 times that it takes to tie the pareos so that it's really just like a dress--I'm not huge, but I can't tie that last knot! Maybe in the general store, if I can find one.

BTW, there are pareo tying lessons on the ship. Oh, and someone comes on board selling pareos as well, can't remember which day.

javafreek:

We've been on the Paul Gauguin two times for a total of three weeks in the past three years. We really did our research before we went the first time. From what we learned of the shopping in French Polynesia (limited, with very high prices) we told our daughters not to expect the usual cruise gifts. Oh, well, daughters are now in their 30's and should have stopped expecting this decades ago! Both times we were in FP, the research proved correct ---- this is not a "shopping" destination. Note that the largest concentration of stores and markets is in Papeete, and they close promptly at noon on Saturdays. Your schedule relative to the PG may not allow time to shop there, and you really won't be missing much at that.

One thing we did find to buy were imperfect black pearls. We got some fairly large ones that were visably imperfect on only one side, so they could be mounted in rings and drops by our local jewler so as to hide the flaw. We got some nice pearls of this type that are over 3/8" in diameter for about $20 USD or less. Little ones for ear studs for women were about $1 USD or less. There are shops that sell these in Moorea. There are also vendors near the motu on Taha'a with good prices. We had some really nice sterling silver rings made for the daughters for a total price of $60 each, or less. Of course, prices in FP may be higher now, due to the decline in the $USD.

Though a PG cruise may not provide the best "shopping experience", it does provide a beach, acquatic, and cultural vacation that is simply the best in the world --- period. That is why we are going back for a 14 day PG cruise this September.

Hope this helps,

Richard:) :) :)

javafreek:

If that is your main question, our answer would be "no." We have never found the need to exchange $USD for French Polynesian Francs (FPF) or Euros. We were actually surprised to find that so many stores, etc., had their prices posted in $USD.

Hope this helps,

HaloV:

No, the market in Papeete is open well past noon on Mondays through Fridays. I don't know the exact weekday closing time. But on Saturdays, all stores in Papeete seem to close at noon. And they are closed on Sunday.

What I meant was that with the PG's most common cruise schedule, guests arrive on the embarkation Saturday well past noon. So no shopping opportunity then. Then, they disembark the following Saturday mid morning --- with only a small window of opportunity to shop in Papeete.

Hope this helps,

Be careful when buying black pearls. Many of the very inexpensive pearls are not really pearls. They grind up the oyster shells, mix it with an epoxy and put the mixture in a mold. These are the ones you find at the piers and from the "mamas" .They actually look nice but you need to be aware you are buying a fake. The real black pearls are very expensive and you are better off buying them at a good jewelry store here or there. They are not cheaper in FP. Ngaire had made a very informative post about black pearls that you can probably find on this board.

At almost every port there are trinkets to buy - carvings, tikis, jewelry, t shirts. I bought a very nice rayon paraeu in the grocery store in Bora Bora for $14. Have a great time

Thanks everyone, you are so helpful!

Trinidad- is the grocery store on Bora Bora Chin Lee's?

Yes -- there's really only one grocery store that fits that description and it's Chin Lee's. It's about a 5 minute walk from the main part of the tiny town. Chin Lee's has the best prices on nice vanilla beans in Bora Bora.

A good "last-chance" option is on embarkation Saturday. Have brekky or room service early, and go ashore at 9am or so...shop till 11am or so and head back for a bloody mary onboard before leaving.

Pareos were $10 to $20, with the nicer prints all at $20. Basic jewelry in the same range. Most T-shirts were $20 and above, including any of the Hinano (local beer) shirts. By the way, the soap that sold for $6 a bar on the ship was $1.50 in the market.

Also, had no problem with ATM's...used one at the airport and another on Moorea, both with instructions in English. Decided to forget about travelers checks on this trip, and the hunch paid off.

In short you could buy nothing during the week and do all your shopping in a quick span on Sat morning.

Archived