Can I pre-pay gratuities without MTD?

Hello everyone,

Sorry if this has been asked before, tried to search, but my ? didn't seem to come up, at least not the couple ways I searched. :p

I booked directly with RCCL online. I would like to pay off my cruise before we sail (little by little :D), including the pre-paid gratuities. I know that you have that option if you select My Time Dining, but I think we want to try traditional dining as this is our first cruise (get the whole experience?!). Is this possible? Or do I have to wait until we're onboard?

TIA for all of your help!

Oh and any tips/suggestions for a pair of first timers? and on Majesty would be greatly appreciated. I've been scouring the boards and reading everything I can find with Majesty (a little obsessed...nah :rolleyes:) Thanks to all, CC, has been a great help so far!!

Of course, you can. RCI will gladly accept as much of your money as they can get!

Get a guidebook on your ports, if you're looking to save a bit of $$...there may be things that interest you that don't require paying those excursion prices!

Bring binoculars....there is alot out there to see!

I don't think that has been asked recently.

If you look at your reservation on the website if you go to the tab indicating cruise extras or enhancements you should find a link with the info. If you can't one of the telephone agents can help you.

Up until about a week before your cruise date you can add prepaid gratuities (it is about $9.75 per person per day for a regular cabin or jr. suite), buy a drink or wine package, reserve excursions and buy specialty items for your cabin.

If you prepay gratuities (which I always do) you will receive envelopes and vouchers for each of the individuals who traditionally are tipped - cabin steward, waiter, assistant waiter and head waiter.

Hello everyone,

I booked directly with RCCL online. I would like to pay off my cruise before we sail (little by little :D), including the pre-paid gratuities. I know that you have that option if you select My Time Dining, but I think we want to try traditional dining as this is our first cruise (get the whole experience?!).

Yep, that is exactly what we did for our cruise coming up this weekend!

We booked directly with RCCL online, and we paid a little at a time throughout the past six months or so, including prepaid gratuities with traditional dining, one dinner at Portofino, and a soda package. We are not doing any excursions through the ship, just private ones, but you can pay those in advance as well.

I like the thought of a small(er) bill at the end of the cruise!

This will be our third cruise, so we're still pretty new as well, but for first timers I agree with the advice to bring binoculars. There is always something to look at either at sea or in port.

And I think it's a great idea to do traditional dining, just for the reason you stated. Also because we love it! The traditional dining experience has been one of our family's favorite aspects of cruising.

And although I don't like carrying around a guide book, I do lots of internet research on our ports and print out applicable info. The ports of call sections of these message boards, and the forums on TripAdvisor are great sources for first-hand experiences with tours, etc. Visitors' Bureau and other websites give lots of info as well.

Have a blast - you'll love it!

Sue

If you prepay gratuities (which I always do) you will receive envelopes and vouchers for each of the individuals who traditionally are tipped - cabin steward, waiter, assistant waiter and head waiter.

Just understand with the prepaid--the money is already divided and accounted for--they know what table you were assigned to for dinner etc...those vouchers are meaningless...just makes the 'giver' feel like they are giving something..ie forgot to give out a voucher-doesn't matter the waiter, room steward etc is getting their 'cut' anyway.

Just understand with the prepaid--the money is already divided and accounted for--they know what table you were assigned to for dinner etc...those vouchers are meaningless...just makes the 'giver' feel like they are giving something..ie forgot to give out a voucher-doesn't matter the waiter, room steward etc is getting their 'cut' anyway.

That is true, but we also like that it is a reminder to us to thank the servers and cabin steward at the end of the cruise. We tend to skip the main dining room on the last night and I will stop by in the afternoon to thank the dining room staff and to let them know we won't be in that evening.

The downside to prepaying your gratuities is if you end up with a waiter, steward, etc. who provides extremely poor service, RC will not give you any of the gratuity back. I had a steward who was so bad that we complained to the front desk several times and directly to the head of housekeeping twice. I didn't feel it was right that she got the full gratuity amount even though she didn't clean our cabin for 5 days. That's RC's rules so I won't prepay anymore. It's very rare to get that kind of poor service, but I don't like to know that person gets rewarded whether deserved or not. I wait and put gratuities on my Seapass now.

Oh and any tips/suggestions for a pair of first timers? and on Majesty would be greatly appreciated. I've been scouring the boards and reading everything I can find with Majesty (a little obsessed...nah :rolleyes:) Thanks to all, CC, has been a great help so far!!

We almost missed a ship once....so now we always go to our departure port the day before. We get up the next morning and get to the ship in time for lunch! Sometimes our room isn't ready until 1:00. If that's the case, just take your carry-on's to lunch with you until your room is ready.

The only times I've ever been disappointed in a port were the times we did not have a tour. So for us, we try to select a tour for each port, be it through the ship, or an independently booked tour.

Have fun!

There are a lot of varying theories on gratuities. Go ahead with what you plan for this cruise.

In reality there is no wrong or right way to pay, but everyone should pay. IMHO

Cheryl H is absolutely correct about flying in the day before. So far no real travel problems, but the Spirit strike sure made me realize how important that is.

So if you have prepaid, you do not have to physically hand them (waiters) the vouchers on the last night? They are automatically paid?

I always wondered if they had to turn those in to receive their tips.

As long as it has been available, we have prepaid and eaten in the dining room the last night. I don't want to stiff them if we decide to eat somewhere else that night.:)

We always add some cash to the envelopes with the vouchers, except in the few occasions when the service has not been anything special, (when that happens, then nothing is added).

cb at sea - LOL, I'm sure RCCL will gladly take more of my money. Thanks and great tip about the binoculars, added them to my "packing" list. :D

temple1 - I tried to find the gratuities option in the "pre-cruise" planner section where the other extras like soda/wine package are, but couldn't find it. Thanks for the tip though. Maybe I just have to wait as I can't even buy the soda package yet...says not available, check back closer to sail date :) Worse case, I can always call...thanks again! Agreed that everyone should pay, IMHO too, that's why I figured why not pre-pay and break up my bill a bit!

subtchr (Sue) - First of all, have a great cruise this weekend!!! Thanks for all of the great tips and the "smaller" bill at the end sounds good to me too! :D

Puffinater - Thanks! Now just to figure out if I can add it online or if I just call and have it added. :p

East Bay Skiers - Thanks, guess I wasn't the only one who wanted to do this after all :D I was thinking the same, that I could always add a bit extra if warranted. Great to know that works.

atimetraveler - Thanks for the heads up :)

Cheryl H - Thanks for the tip! Fortunately, for this trip, it's one of our local ports...definitely would worry about that if we couldn't just drive to the port. Definitely planning to arrive in time to enjoy lunch...want to get as much ship time as possible. I understand the rooms aren't ready until about 1pm but can you go and see where it is while exploring the ship to get an idea of where things are in relation?

Tennessee3 - Good question. I'll be sure to bring the vouchers down just in case, don't want anyone to miss out.

Thanks everyone, keep those tips and suggestions coming!!

I found it!

When you go to My Cruises on the left side of the page is a block titled "NewToCruising24 Cruises" and under the banner Countdown to Cruise you will see your cruises listed and underneath it has several opitons to view: Name of the cruise, View Reservation or Make a Payment. If you click on Make a Payment under all the guest information are additional options - Pre-Paid Gratuities and Vacation Protection Plan. :D

I am a first-time RCI cruiser too. Just to confirm, everyone with MTD has prepaid gratuities, right? So if I don't show up with a voucher on the last night (I can barely remember to take my key card), the staff won't think ill of me? We're used to Anytime Dining on Princess and because we sit at different tables (or in different dining rooms) each night, we usually leave an additional tip after each meal (by default, all gratuities are auto-charged to your Princess shipboard acct). I plan to do the same on RCI, but don't want the staff to think that the "extra" tip is the only tip. Will our cabin steward know that we have prepaid gratuities? We're the cash-to-hand kind of people, not mystery "envelope" people.;)

Don't worry about it if you are MTD - the dining room staff know they will be tipped. Your cabin steward is the one who will put your vouchers and envelopes in your room so s/he will know they are being tipped also.

Don't worry about it if you are MTD - the dining room staff know they will be tipped. Your cabin steward is the one who will put your vouchers and envelopes in your room so s/he will know they are being tipped also.
Then why do they give the stupid vouchers, as you guessed I hate them.

I found it!

When you go to My Cruises on the left side of the page is a block titled "NewToCruising24 Cruises" and under the banner Countdown to Cruise you will see your cruises listed and underneath it has several opitons to view: Name of the cruise, View Reservation or Make a Payment. If you click on Make a Payment under all the guest information are additional options - Pre-Paid Gratuities and Vacation Protection Plan. :D

temple1 - thanks so much for your "investigating" ;) unfortunately, though, when I click on "make a payment" it just takes me to the vacation balance page/payment tab and there is nothing that says pre-paid gratuities and/or vacation protection plan?! :( There is a heading of optional items, but no choices underneath?! Oh well, thanks so much for your help, I guess I can just call RCCL before I make my next payment and have them add it!

Thanks again to everyone for your help! CC is great :)

I think we might be in 2 different places. I think you might have gone to Purchase and Held Cruises on the Right side of the page.

Here is step by step:

Log in and click on My Cruises. On the left side of the my cruises page is a box titled "Your Name's" Cruises. In the top half of the box is your C&A info. Below that is a box headed - Countdown to Cruise. Under that will be info about your cruise (in my case - 4 night Bahama Cruise. Then the two links, one is View Reservation and the other is Make a Payment.

If this doesn't work, or you've already called- at least give it a try for next time. :D

I like to prepay tips. Less to worry about. On Disney Cruise Lines, the name of the people you tip are on the voucher. Great for someone like me who can't remember names. Of course, we add additional cash for great service.

Thanks again, temple1, that's exactly what I tried, but no luck for me. Maybe b/c I'm brand new (no C&A info for me...our first cruise ever :D). Definitely will try it for next time when I will have C&A...LOL!!

I'll call them soon, and I'm sure they'll be happy to take my $$ in advance! :p

I like to prepay tips. Less to worry about. On Disney Cruise Lines, the name of the people you tip are on the voucher. Great for someone like me who can't remember names. Of course, we add additional cash for great service.

annabell08 - that's what I was thinking, one less thing to worry about ;) oh, Disney cruise, definitely looking forward to trying one of those out in the future.

We never do that just in case we feel differently than the rates show

csoud - thanks! it's good to know there are lots of ways to go about it...to each his/her own, right?! :)

Archived